Steelers - Jags Preseason Game 2

MOSteelers56

54 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I was watching the SD film room on how bad Moore was and I couldn't help notice how solid Chuks looked. Granted he was going up against a rookie, albeit a blue chip guy, in Travon Walker. If we could get the LT position figured out it'd help immensely. 

Sweet little lord baby jesus that film review was yikes....

I kinda wanna go back and watch some more of the first two games now for the interior guys (sans Green....he just sucks) to see if its the new philosophy in pass blocking that is causing issues. That would, overall, be a good thing as it might just take more practice with a new concept for guys that lack that experience or something you pivot away from. Our interior just seems to wiff on blocks. In general, thats abnormal. I don't know enough about the intricacies of OLine blocking, but I am curious if the aggressive approach is getting guys beat up.

Example: Dotson had a part in one of this clips where he seems in really good position and then just lunges at a guy awkwardly -- and when he misses Moore can't get enough of the guy who knives by for the sack. IMO that's not Dan, that's Dotson....and it seems like it's because of an awkward aggressive approach.

7 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

Sweet little lord baby jesus that film review was yikes....

I kinda wanna go back and watch some more of the first two games now for the interior guys (sans Green....he just sucks) to see if its the new philosophy in pass blocking that is causing issues. That would, overall, be a good thing as it might just take more practice with a new concept for guys that lack that experience or something you pivot away from. Our interior just seems to wiff on blocks. In general, thats abnormal. I don't know enough about the intricacies of OLine blocking, but I am curious if the aggressive approach is getting guys beat up.

Example: Dotson had a part in one of this clips where he seems in really good position and then just lunges at a guy awkwardly -- and when he misses Moore can't get enough of the guy who knives by for the sack. IMO that's not Dan, that's Dotson....and it seems like it's because of an awkward aggressive approach.

The issue is they aren't doing a good job in setting their anchor before punching.  Look at Daniels last year, feet set, hips over heels, shoulders over toes, then punch.  This year his hips are over his hips and he's trying to reach to punch.  It's almost like they are trying to set the passing LOS at the LOS rather than giving up the 2 yards to be set.

The approach can work really well if the guys set up correctly.  The aggressive approach works for plenty of teams (look at LAR).  I think the issue is the guys aren't being balanced aggressive.  They are just trying to get hands.

Take that Green whiffed block.  He shot out with two hands at the same shoulder.  No other guy on the line does that.  In that same play you see Daniels get one hand on his guy setting to get the guy into the other hand while only losing 1 yard of depth.  That's what it should look like.

To me the issue just comes to the left side being so weak that the interior feels stressed to attack to keep the step up clean, and they are doing too much.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I was watching the SD film room on how bad Moore was and I couldn't help notice how solid Chuks looked. Granted he was going up against a rookie, albeit a blue chip guy, in Travon Walker. If we could get the LT position figured out it'd help immensely. 

Chuks pass pro has always been solid.  He's still not super aggressive in run blocking.

43 minutes ago, warfelg said:

The approach can work really well if the guys set up correctly.  The aggressive approach works for plenty of teams (look at LAR).  I think the issue is the guys aren't being balanced aggressive.  They are just trying to get hands.

That's where I hop it's just collectively a bunch of guys who have never been taught to do it this way and the learning curve that comes with getting there (or abandoning it). I think it was one of the Ringer pods, but they were talking about how the position hurt the most by the cut in playing time is the offensive lineman. There just isn't enough development being able to be made. I hope that's what we are seeing here. 

38 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Chuks pass pro has always been solid.  He's still not super aggressive in run blocking.

Interested to see with Moore struggling so badly if Chuks at LT (where exactly what you wrote here plays better) and then Haeg as the RT makes more sense. 

6 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

That's where I hop it's just collectively a bunch of guys who have never been taught to do it this way and the learning curve that comes with getting there (or abandoning it). I think it was one of the Ringer pods, but they were talking about how the position hurt the most by the cut in playing time is the offensive lineman. There just isn't enough development being able to be made. I hope that's what we are seeing here. 

Interested to see with Moore struggling so badly if Chuks at LT (where exactly what you wrote here plays better) and then Haeg as the RT makes more sense. 

OLine development has hurt, but also consider this entire interior has played 3 quarters together.  Some of the issue is beyond technique and into communication.

Chuks hasn't been good at LT in the few snaps we saw him there.  He's like Gilbert and a pure RT at this point.

1 minute ago, warfelg said:

OLine development has hurt, but also consider this entire interior has played 3 quarters together.  Some of the issue is beyond technique and into communication.

Right, and that's just the whole picture. There's not enough time, so I think we are going to have to live with struggles. Just really hoping that's all it is and not something more devastating like James Daniel just sucks now. 

2 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Chuks hasn't been good at LT in the few snaps we saw him there.  He's like Gilbert and a pure RT at this point.

I don't remember seeing him at LT since his first two pre-seasons. The team has wanted him at LT even last year and Colbert has said they thought he was better at LT than RT, but kinda got forced to play there. I'm not sure he is stuck by talent, he has been stuck by scenario. Might be worth trying to get Moore off the blindside. 

2 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

The abilty part is a major reach.

I wouldnt call anyone on our line a "plus" starter.   I was hoping Daniels was, but its looking like the exact opposite.    Cole is likely Sean Mahan 2.0.    Dotson I dont trust.   Green has yet to show NFL talent.   Moore has tools, but not top notch ones.

As I said...when Chuks is your "bright spot" on the OL....you should be worried.

Highest drafted OL in 10 years: DeCastro, 1st round, Mike Adams, 2nd round, 2012. Neither are in the NFL any longer.

I am all for getting 1st round talent QB, RB, LB, S, etc. But you cannot just ignore the OL for a decade and expect greatness there.

6 hours ago, cjfollett said:

Highest drafted OL in 10 years: DeCastro, 1st round, Mike Adams, 2nd round, 2012. Neither are in the NFL any longer.

I am all for getting 1st round talent QB, RB, LB, S, etc. But you cannot just ignore the OL for a decade and expect greatness there.

I dont disagree, but up until 2020 or so, the line was pretty well set...

Ramon Foster retired, drafted Dotson in rd 4, and had high hopes for him.

DeCastro injury kinda snuck up, and they weren't expecting it to be so serious.

Pouncey was somewhat of a sudden retirement.  He was plummeting anyway.

I think they planned on keeping Villanueva a couple more years, but Covid happened and destroyed our cap.

I do 100% believe we shouldve drafted Creed Humphrey last year in the 2nd.   However, there was a run on OL in rd 1 this year, and while there are several OL I liked in rd 2, I dont think Id take any over Pickens.

But it absolutely needs to be a major focus going forward.

• Like 1