2022 GDT Week Five Da 1-3 Steelers Visit the 3-1 Bills

Steeler Hitman

Ryan Clark is upset with Brooke Pryor now for asking players about his comments and said that he’s unlikely to talk about the Steelers again and that he shouldn’t be “creating a distraction”.  

I think he’s mad at the wrong person though.  Be mad at DJ who said something stupid.  Be mad at the guy who called you out for the (right) opinion, the guy who blocked you on social media, the guy who’s been publicly making excuses for his play.  Be mad at him for not shutting up saying what Ben said last year of “Ryan has been in this locker room, Ryan knows what it’s like, but that’s Ryan’s opinion right now.”

1 hour ago, jebrick said:

As I have said several times.  Warren is better for the wide zone concept that they want to run.  He is a one cut back.  Najee would work well with a power blocking oline.  You put prime Derick Henry behind this blocking scheme/line he will look about the same.

I know this isn’t the point you’re making but there’s one big difference between Henry and Najee. Henry runs in the low 4.5s. Najee would probably run low 4.8s if asked to run the 40 right now. Henry is so deadly because he can stiff arm a LB and outrun a safety for a 50 yard TD. Najee can’t do that, on his best plays he stiff arms a LB and gets taken down for a 18 yard run. Take away those long TDs and Henry is an average RB, or Najee Harris. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

I know this isn’t the point you’re making but there’s one big difference between Henry and Najee. Henry runs in the low 4.5s. Najee would probably run low 4.8s if asked to run the 40 right now. Henry is so deadly because he can stiff arm a LB and outrun a safety for a 50 yard TD. Najee can’t do that, on his best plays he stiff arms a LB and gets taken down for a 18 yard run. Take away those long TDs and Henry is an average RB, or Najee Harris. 

I think Najee is a lot more shifty than Henry. They are both better in space, but Najee does it with rare shiftiness and Henry does it with rare speed. Rare for their size, I mean. 

1 hour ago, warfelg said:

FYI this is the correct answer:

As much as I don’t like Canada, I agree. Originally I thought… if he’s not going to be here in 2023 why keep him around, but I don’t think it’s worth it to disrupt things with Kenny 1 start into his career.

Also, the last few weeks have been less of Canada and more on the receivers and Najee imo. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I think Najee is a lot more shifty than Henry. They are both better in space, but Najee does it with rare shiftiness and Henry does it with rare speed. Rare for their size, I mean. 

Najee and Saquan feel like two sides of the same coin, but one of them gets better blocking.

1 minute ago, bigben07MVP said:

As much as I don’t like Canada, I agree. Originally I thought… if he’s not going to be here in 2023 why keep him around, but I don’t think it’s worth it to disrupt things with Kenny 1 start into his career.

Also, the last few weeks have been less of Canada and more on the receivers and Najee imo. 

Yea.  Kenny still missed a few passes, but they were the kind that Ben would miss, the “you dropped the last 3, you ain’t getting it” kinda miss.  I would want to stabilize it for Kenny some and see if the WR’s can make plays.  But woof, DJ’s body language the last 6 quarters, Pool’s the last 2, do not look good.  Almost like they don’t like Kenny.  

It's absolutely right to avoid making changes for the sake of doing so, but when you are 1-4 and looking like you are on your way to 1-7 as one of the worst ranking teams.... I'd say you are making changes in the hopes of finding solutions. 

Changes do not have to be permanent, but they can be impactful across the entire organization. If Diontae Johnson drops another pass and continues to get a full workload, you are letting it be known across your entire roster that issues have no consequence. You don't have to bench him for the entire season. 

If Matt Canada gets fire (not demoted), it puts the entire organization on notice. You do not get your job done, you lose that job. Throwing your hands up and saying "well, let's wait till the off-season" teaches that mediocrity is fine and acceptable. It doesn't matter if the move doesn't immediately make us better, it matters that you set a standard of what is acceptable. It matters that you take someone who is not good at their job and remove them from having impact on your team. 

There's not a big move I would make right now, but if we are 1-7 at the bye, I do believe culling the herd is an important part of the growth phase of the organization in this transition. 

• Like 2

Woof:

Diontae Johnson (56.2) and Chase Claypool (54.9) — When a rookie quarterback is at the helm, and when he’s not playing particularly poorly, it should be the job of veteran receivers to play well to help carry him. These guys did the opposite, posting two of the offense’s five-worst grades against Buffalo, despite the fact that the Bills were missing three starters in the secondary. For the season, Johnson’s overall grade of 70.4 ranks 40th, making him a poor No. 1 receiver. Claypool’s 54.3 grade ranks 98th, making him a really bad No. 2. But folks, there’s plenty of bad numbers under the hood, too. Claypool’s yards after the catch per reception are a horrendous 2.3, a reflection of what your eyes tell you. The man cannot stay on his feet practically at all. And his 0.68 yards per route run also ranks 98th, putting him in a league with a bunch of guys you’ve never heard of at all. And lest you think Johnson is much better, Football Outsiders is here to tell you differently. That analytics website grades receivers on two scales. Defense-adjusted yards above replacement (DYAR) is a metric that compares a receiver to an easily acquired substitute based on his workload and the quality of opposing defense. Johnson’s total of minus-95 puts him at 73rd, dead last among receivers who’ve seen at least 20 passes. And his defense-adjusted value over average (DVOA) stinks, too. That metric compares a receiver to what it says, the league average, which can still be productive in the right volume. Unfortunately for Johnson, he’s nowhere close to average. He ranks 71st with a DVOA of minus-36.8%. That isn’t close to good enough for a guy who signed a lucrative extension just a couple of months ago.

21 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

Have you watched Saquan this year?

2 hours ago, 43M said:

They are 100% completely different coins. 

Overdrafted backs that went to teams with no OLine who were overrated for what they are.  Difference this year is Saquan has blocking.  Hell, Saquan got hurt in year 2 just like Najee after a year 1 build on volume.

5 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Overdrafted backs that went to teams with no OLine who were overrated for what they are.  Difference this year is Saquan has blocking.  Hell, Saquan got hurt in year 2 just like Najee after a year 1 build on volume.

I guess I could see that, would love for Najee to just be hurt right now and have a bounce back season with better blocking next year…but I wouldn’t be holding out on him looking like Saquon is right now. He’s the best back in the league. He’s also a 99.7 percentile athlete while Najee is 58.7, I don’t think their ceilings are anywhere close unfortunately.

• Like 1