GDT - Week 5 - Matty P's "Revenge" game

Deadpulse

4 minutes ago, biggie. said:

Got our shut out.

Still under .500 but we completely neutered one of the league's top scoring offenses (though that's probably due to garbage time) and our offense looked functional despite starting our third string QB. Zappe looks like he was well prepared to make starts.

Harder to judge the offense vs. a shell of Detroit's already bottom-of-the-league defense.  

Lions are the worse defense in the NFL .. and they had injuries.. and lost even more people in the middle of this game. I give Zappe credit for what he did, but under no circumstances do I consider it a Zappe vs Mac situation. Mac during that Ravens game made some amazing throws, Zappe did nothing like that. 

Next game will be much more of a test for him. It makes me feel much more comfortable giving Mac another week to get better, even if I think they are going to have a really tough game against the Browns. It sure would be fun for a team to fall in love with Zappe and trade for like a 2nd round pick or something lol 

I LOVE watching the defense, so much fun seeing them fly around, Uche even seemed to play well. It's great seeing these rookies too, if Thornton ends up being great, wow this is an incredible draft class. 

Really was a perfectish storm, offensively. The OL really had it’s way with Detroit, in both pass protection and in the run game. Stevenson capitalized on that. Zappe did too, looked decisive with the ball. Patricia gets credit for calling a decent game overall and keeping the time to throw short. Reminded me a lot of last year’s offense when Mac was being treated with kid gloves. It wasn’t a good measuring stick for the team on offense but it’s something to build on and a sign of encouragement for a sputtering offense starting a third string rookie. I liked the WR mix they were using (mostly Parker, Bourne, and Meyers). Probably helped not having Jonnu out there to even think about forcing passes to, tbh. 

Defensively, the team did a good job vs the league’s #1 offense. It’s kind of a falsehood, because Goff and the injuries…but again, it’s nice seeing the team do what it’s supposed to be doing in situations like this. Biggest hope is that Judon keeps up this level of play, or something close to it, in the second half this year.

Got Cleveland next week. Better secondary, and they have Garrett. So we’re going to see how the line shows up and probably what Zappe’s going to look like getting pressured. The Cleveland defense as it stands isn’t really much to write home about either, but I do think their DBs are going to make it more difficult for the offense to move, especially with Zappe at the helm. 

On defense…just slow down Chubb and keep Brissett in the pocket. That’s it. We’ll see if that can be accomplished or not.

47 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

The Cleveland defense as it stands isn’t really much to write home about either,

If that is true I'm not concerned with the Browns.  IMO T Brown will neutralize Garrett. He might get help but I don't see him dominating T Brown.

47 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

slow down Chubb

That's it, we win.  Pats stop him its over!!

Edited by m haynes

2 hours ago, Crimmage said:

Looks like he will be out for a couple weeks. 

Going to be interesting to see which other RB gets snaps .. no chance they put it all on Stevenson

With Aggie out with hamstring they might activate 2 backs.  I would activate Harris. He played big time in college, was a feature back and they will need someone with size behind Stevenson.

IMO its a major risk with Strong, who is considered a 3D back. JJ same skill set as Strong, offers nothing between the tackles.  I would hate to run Stevenson 30 times this week.

They will need a big running game this week. It should be interesting.

3 hours ago, m haynes said:

With Aggie out with hamstring they might activate 2 backs.  I would activate Harris. He played big time in college, was a feature back and they will need someone with size behind Stevenson.

IMO its a major risk with Strong, who is considered a 3D back. JJ same skill set as Strong, offers nothing between the tackles.  I would hate to run Stevenson 30 times this week.

They will need a big running game this week. It should be interesting.

The problem with Harris is fumbling, if they are confident he's made improvements there I agree he could be the guy. 

JJ Taylor has also had fumbling problems in the past but he's also been the spark plug change of pace guy for multiple games. He offers little to no value in the passing game but I feel like none of the three really do at this point. I am over Taylor but the team seems to like keeping him around.. 

10-15 rush attempts is probably the sweet spot BB wants for Stevenson, so I could see something along these lines with Harris out: 

Stevenson: 15 rushes and 3-4 targets

Strong: 3-5 rushes, maybe a draw or inside zone runs.. something where he can use his speed most

Harris: 7-10 rushes, run him behind Trent Brown and run people over

17 hours ago, m haynes said:

Breaking news

Extended pre-season is over.. Thornton is back.. ready to get this offense going! 

Agholor is injured and potentially headed to the doghouse.. will be interesting if we see a shuffle in the WR depth chart.

The really interesting thing is them using Thornton all over the field.. if you can run him at X,Z, and Slot.. that's an amazing weapon to try and expose whoever is slowest on a teams defense. 

- Meyers

- Parker

- Bourne

- Thornton 

Roll with that core and let Agholor figure out how to not turnover the ball for a couple weeks. 

The bigger topic this brings up to me is the further reliance on Meyers to have any semblance of an offense. By the end of the year are they going to feel so dependent on him that they have to offer him 10-15M a year to stay? Or will BB acknowledge this is a huge slot draft and try to swap out his replacement. I always figured that was the plan from the beginning.. but I can see it making them nervous that the offense for the last couple years is so dependent on him

Edited by Crimmage