State of the Steelers

warfelg

3 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Given how protected QBs are he can. 

QBs are protected, but they can still take a beating.

All it takes are a few big hits on a small frame like that.

Some people are tripping on Levis.  He is essentially the Christian Hackenberg or Jake Locker of this draft.   Has no real business being discussed as a firsr round pick.   As much as I opposed the Kenny pick last year, Id easily take him over Levis.    Doesn’t necessarily mean Levis cant be better, but I certainly wouldn't bet any more than a mid round pick on him.

Richardson has decent upside, but Kenny has a higher floor and IMO, better chance of succeeding.

Bryce Young has everything except the size, and it very well could be an issue.

Stroud probably has the best chance of success, but I dont think he is a special prospect.  Just a really good one.

Bottom line...Im still not super excited about Kenny, but even if we hadnt drafted him, we wouldn't be picking top 5 to get either of the top two notably better prospects, and I dont consider any other 2023 QB prospects better than Kenny.   Perhaps a few with higher ceilings, but most boom/bust QBs dont reach their ceilings, so...I'm okay with Kenny...for now.

• Like 3

I have no buyers remorse with Kenny. I would much rather be where we’re at now than to have watched a full season of Mitch and Mason. With Tomlin and our defense we would still be picking around 10-15 range anyway, which means we would still have to give up more picks to get our guy. Hard pass.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

I have no buyers remorse with Kenny. I would much rather be where we’re at now than to have watched a full season of Mitch and Mason. With Tomlin and our defense we would still be picking around 10-15 range anyway, which means we would still have to give up more picks to get our guy. Hard pass.

I wouldn’t call what I have buyers remorse, more a differing priority. 

Let’s just say in 2022 you make these switches:

Penny Pickett out, Tyler Linderbaum in. 
Calvin Austin out, Tariq Woolin in. 
No Gunner. No Witherspoon. At least second year of a deal. 

Given everything else staying the same. Would you get to the $40mil in cap space and be comfortable giving up 17, 32, 2024 1st, 2024 3rd, 2025 2nd for CJ Stroud instead of having Kenny and Austin?

8 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

Is this a serious question? Absolutely not.

I would. Easily. Linderbaum, Woolen, Stroud is much better than Kenny, Austin, and whatever those picks will be along with the extra cap this year and cap space next year. 

45 minutes ago, 43M said:

Bottom line...Im still not super excited about Kenny, but even if we hadnt drafted him, we wouldn't be picking top 5 to get either of the top two notably better prospects, and I dont consider any other 2023 QB prospects better than Kenny.   Perhaps a few with higher ceilings, but most boom/bust QBs dont reach their ceilings, so...I'm okay with Kenny...for now.

as much as I have voiced dismay with ben not retiring earlier and colbert's recent drafts, I am glad KP landed here. Like you, I don't see the 23 prospects as clearly better overall than KP. What I like about KP is he has the better 2nd half of games and clutch late game winning drives that got TD's.  He did all this after a rough start which at the time had a terrible OC and run game and mediocre OL. The OL got better, run game got better and so did KP. 

I won't say that canada got better

48 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

I have no buyers remorse with Kenny. I would much rather be where we’re at now than to have watched a full season of Mitch and Mason.

considering we wouldn't do anything in the playoffs,  I decided on the tanking thread.  At least they know that KP is the answer and at the same time they also saved mitch's trade value. If he played the entire season, he wouldn't have any trade value IMO.  It looked that bad with him out there, and when he did get the chains moving, there is the INT that makes no sense and killed a decent drive - his trademark last season. 

40 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Tariq Woolin in. 

someone here was really making a case for Tariq, and many teams passed on him . Major fail by every team in the league

• Like 1

it must have made you sick as the draft went on.  I can see missing out in RD1 but later on, makes it a total fail for every team.  Every now and then there is a player that ends up being drafted late and is a pro bowler often, making teams regret passing up on them every time he plays them.  Tariq is that player . 

you should have been texting your insider to go to the podium for the steelers for Tariq :$

Who are your top 5 CB's for us in this draft? Any later round CB's you like , not Tariq obviously but anything close?

Edited by 3rivers

23 minutes ago, warfelg said:

I would. Easily. Linderbaum, Woolen, Stroud is much better than Kenny, Austin, and whatever those picks will be along with the extra cap this year and cap space next year. 

Your counting on getting the 1st pick if you are putting Stroud in that equation. 

Edited by jebrick

Tom Pelissoro

The #Rams have had trade talks about six-time Pro Bowl CB Jalen Ramsey and league sources now believe it’s very likely Ramsey is dealt in coming weeks. 

Ramsey, 28, is due $17 million in 2023 on a front-loaded deal that averages $20M and L.A. is clearing cap space.

48 minutes ago, armsteeld said:

Tom Pelissoro

The #Rams have had trade talks about six-time Pro Bowl CB Jalen Ramsey and league sources now believe it’s very likely Ramsey is dealt in coming weeks. 

Ramsey, 28, is due $17 million in 2023 on a front-loaded deal that averages $20M and L.A. is clearing cap space.

I hope not.

4 minutes ago, AFF said:

I hope not.

unless the FO makes major moves for capspace, this just won't be a good trade. Then consider what has to be given up in the trade. What do you expect the rams want for this trade?  

I prefer drafting CB1 at 17 and then the idea of trading into #31 and having 2 players with 5th year options  :)