State of the Steelers

warfelg

They aren't going to lower his trade value by saying they don't want him and they aren't going to cut him without first signing another vet. 

I am not sure how you talk Mitch into taking an extension. You can tell him it's for trade purposes, but he can just say "Mason Rudolph" which cancels it out. It doesn't make sense to take a pay cut either. "If you want me, pay me $8M. If you don't want me, let me go". Personally, I would stand pretty hard on that line. 

If they sign another QB early in FA, look for him to get cut/traded. But nothing is going to happen until they do. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

They aren't going to lower his trade value by saying they don't want him and they aren't going to cut him without first signing another vet. 

I am not sure how you talk Mitch into taking an extension. You can tell him it's for trade purposes, but he can just say "Mason Rudolph" which cancels it out. It doesn't make sense to take a pay cut either. "If you want me, pay me $8M. If you don't want me, let me go". Personally, I would stand pretty hard on that line. 

If they sign another QB early in FA, look for him to get cut/traded. But nothing is going to happen until they do. 

All depends on Mitch’s mindset. Does he realize by now that he’s a career backup, he probably won’t get much more from a team on the open market than he would here on an extension, and there’s worse places to be than being a longtime backup in an organization like this with a coach like Tomlin? Or is he delusional and thinks he can still compete for a starting job somewhere?

4 hours ago, warfelg said:

Bring on the Haterade because I’m ok with Trubs sticking through the year as the backup QB.

I have nothing against him being backup, in general.

I have a problem paying $12m to a guy who doesn't really want to be here and isnt exactly a great mentor to a young developing QB.

He made $2.5m as a backup for the Bills, and did nothing to increase his value.

I was okay with paying him $6m last year with the idea he could potentially be the starer, and $12 for this year if he proved he was worth it. 

He didnt.

Bottom line:   Cut his pay in half.   Then I can live with it.   Since he wont go for that, he shouldnt be here.   There are much better "mentor" QBs out there, too.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 43M said:

He made $2.5m as a backup for the Bills, and did nothing to increase his value.

so would we agree that colbert really failed with this signing  or mainly contract amount?

Trade him and move on.  There are other QB's that would play better and save us capspace, so thats all business as usual

3 hours ago, 3rivers said:

so would we agree that colbert really failed with this signing  or mainly contract amount?

Not really.   

On the Bills, he was purely brought in to be a backup behind Josh Allen.   There was zero question.

We paid Mitch more to COMPETE for the starting job.   $6m wasnt really that bad fir that.

However, the 2nd year was clearly only meant to be for if he panned out as a stopgap starter.   

If we keep Mitch at his current price, it will be a massive fail for our front office.    I suppose you could kind of blame Colbert, but it certainly isnt his fault if we keep him this year instead of cutting him and saving $9m.

10 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

See. Mitch needs me. Without me he'll never see the light of day. 

If you EVER want a starting QB job again you know what you have to do? You gotta Run the Pickett Fence. 

Mitch would be on his fourth team. I'm sorry, Mitch. No one will give you a starting job. You're closer to retirement than you are to starting.

These are the realities where we are with your career. But here's the thing: this is your best chance to start. You know the offense. We fixed the line, and got you a new back, and a new receiving threat, with maybe some speed coming back at receiver.

Now, I know this isn't ideal, but we really want to continue this relationship. We drafted Kenny and he took the job from you, but he didn't exactly do it in stride. All you gotta do is go through the guy who threw more INTs than TDs. Do you think you could do that?

And on the other side of that is $20m big ones, a year, either here or there. You like that girlfriend of yours (inappropriate) What do you say?

Mitch mutters he's listening..

You're not coming back at $8m, but I'll give you a chance to get it back, and the potential to earn even more than your current deal?

Are you still listening, Mitch? I'm glad I have your attention. I thought I lost you there.

That $8m in salary. It's gone. We're gonna pay you $3m today to take this deal. We're gonna knock your salary down to the minimum, but we're going to increase your incentives by 3x the original amount. All you gotta do is take your job back from the QB with the lowest QB rating of all the starters in the NFL. Easy, right? The good news. We're adding an additional year to your deal to the tune of $6m. It's just a placeholder. We'll rework the deal to better fit a man of your stature. The better news. And if you play 80% of the plays and make the playoffs you get the maximum incentive of $10m. You have the potential to earn $13.9m this year, which is almost as much as what you signed originally for TWO years.

Shall we tell Kenny the good news?

Mitch Trubisky signs 2 years, $20m ($3.9m guaranteed)

Cap Hit: 900k + 2625k (old slush) + 1500k (new slush) = $5,000,000

You're gonna need $10m lying around in case he hits the lotto, and if he doesn't, just roll it over to the next year. 

17 hours ago, bigben07MVP said:

All depends on Mitch’s mindset. Does he realize by now that he’s a career backup, he probably won’t get much more from a team on the open market than he would here on an extension, and there’s worse places to be than being a longtime backup in an organization like this with a coach like Tomlin? Or is he delusional and thinks he can still compete for a starting job somewhere?

I agree with you it will be based on his mindset, but from the comments he made about the decision last year I don't think he is looking for a number 2 only role. He is only 28 and is one year removed from signing with a team to be their (initial) #1. 

There are a couple interesting teams out there that might want a guy like him. Tampa comes to mind as someone who might need a starter and isn't in the best position to draft one with a team more ready for now vs future. Arizona is going to need someone to start the year, so that's at least showcase time. Minny and NYG are interesting as places to land that might move on if things sour with a QB who isn't the new staffs. 

Moral of my story: I think he is still going to want to play. He doesn't have that option here, so my guess is he won't help the Steelers keep him around. 

• Like 2

I am generally against Mock drafts with trades, but I do think it's going to happen this year. Keep seeing 17 moved most often, but I am starting to think 32 is the one up for grabs. Kinda  surprise asset we got and with hours and hours in between pick 31 and 32 that gives us a tremendous amount of time to look at offers and consider the full board. 

So, here is my trade pick 32:

1.17, Bryan Bresee, DL Clemson
2.32 TRADE - Carolina for 2.39 and 4.114
2.39 Deonte Banks, CB Maryland
2.49, Felix Anudike-Uzomah, ED Kansas State
3.80, Keeanu Benton, DL Wisonson
4.114, Parker Washington, WR PSU
4.120, Ivan Pace Jr, LB Cincinnati
7.236, Brenton Strange, TE PSU
7.243, Max Duggan, QB TCU

Edited by Dcash4
Whoops -- realized I forgot pick 39

7 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

I am generally against Mock drafts with trades, but I do think it's going to happen this year. Keep seeing 17 moved most often, but I am starting to think 32 is the one up for grabs. Kinda  surprise asset we got and with hours and hours in between pick 31 and 32 that gives us a tremendous amount of time to look at offers and consider the full board. 

So, here is my trade pick 32:

1.17, Bryan Bresee, DL Clemson
2.32 TRADE - Carolina for 2.39 and 4.114
2.39 Deonte Banks, CB Maryland
2.49, Felix Anudike-Uzomah, ED Kansas State
3.80, Keeanu Benton, DL Wisonson
4.114, Parker Washington, WR PSU
4.120, Ivan Pace Jr, LB Cincinnati
7.236, Brenton Strange, TE PSU
7.243, Max Duggan, QB TCU

You've never heard this criticism before. TOO CENTRALLY LOCATED. I'm right there with you. But you danced all around my schools (Maryland, Kansas St, Cincy, Clemson) 📌

It's too....

1) You need to draft a TCU guy this year. I'm right there with you, but I can't get the worst guy. They have many. Johnston. Avila. Winters. THT. (Trevius Hodges-Tomlinson) When a non-powerhouse team makes it VERY FAR, I go lemme get one of those guys. Their record is a collection of this class as a whole. These guys make up the best of that class. Here are their stories...

Duggan = Dalton and that's < Pickett

Clemson and Bresee is the EXACT opposite of TCU this year. Clemson does well from a collective of speed working together in a scheme that works well together at the college level. When these guys leave each other, they all fall flat on their face. That's because it's a collection of tweeners 🤯🤯🤯

Florida is the same way 🤯 But we do well with their OL 🤫

TCU just had better guys this year playing the same scheme. Different results. That's why they there. 

Knit pick I take Strange out of laziness too. But I can see it. I just don't understand it. I struggle with a team drafting a 6'3" TE when they already have a 6' one on the roster and they are looking to replace a 6'8" blocking tight end.

It's always harder when it's your turn.

2) No Ohio State. Michigan. Notre Dame. Even Michigan State. But a double dip at Penn State. Washington could be good but the Strange pick drops it a bit. Two guys from the same school is a waste. Especially when they both bust. The dynamic battery of Rudolph/Washington

3) Then no (good) teams in the south. UGA, Tenn, LSU, Auburn, A&M, UF, South Carolina

This is my HWS and helps me stretch or truncate the field as necessary.

4) No Small Schools. They'll take someone from Charlotte, Kent State, Ferris State. They'll dig deep somewhere. It's somewhat in the DNA of the history of almost 100 years of creating teams

5) No USC? I'm all for no UCLA. Utah. USC and Utah definitely translate well 

Player Selections

When it comes down to Bresee. He plays too high. Therefore, we got a leverage problem. When we got a leverage problem and a unfixed flaw, as we climb the mountain, he will become less productive. That's what we got here. They'll look at the tools, but unless you sharpen those tools, the blade will run dull. The first pick leaves me wanting more. I feel like career. You like this risky type of pick here. And you do fairly well. I don't view that as a good risk here. 

Banks could be good. But I see a bust then great risk, which is okay. And I'm like not happy with my risk profile.

The middle of the draft is fine. I'm sure this is a top 15 NFL middle of the draft. Good selections, bad selections, meh selections. I see Benton as a media darling you toss out there to throw off the scent. We can get this guy later or even for free. I'm throwing out Benton.

Washington is shifty but the double dip at Penn State hurts ya here. Your best pick here. What your thoughts on Manny Sanders? 

Ivan Pace is still too.... Miami OH. Not fast enough. Like I want good movement and his burst is just average. Would be more down in 2001

Grade: 83/100 (B)

A really good collection of players drafted at high areas of need and high areas of importance towards team victories. A few minor tweaks in structure in the first round and in the middle of the rounds and you'll get an A- easy