State of the Steelers

warfelg

1 hour ago, Dcash4 said:

I am generally against Mock drafts with trades, but I do think it's going to happen this year. Keep seeing 17 moved most often, but I am starting to think 32 is the one up for grabs. Kinda  surprise asset we got and with hours and hours in between pick 31 and 32 that gives us a tremendous amount of time to look at offers and consider the full board. 

So, here is my trade pick 32:

1.17, Bryan Bresee, DL Clemson
2.32 TRADE - Carolina for 2.39 and 4.114
2.39 Deonte Banks, CB Maryland
2.49, Felix Anudike-Uzomah, ED Kansas State
3.80, Keeanu Benton, DL Wisonson
4.114, Parker Washington, WR PSU
4.120, Ivan Pace Jr, LB Cincinnati
7.236, Brenton Strange, TE PSU
7.243, Max Duggan, QB TCU

Id be okay with this....position-wise, at least.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

I am generally against Mock drafts with trades, but I do think it's going to happen this year. Keep seeing 17 moved most often, but I am starting to think 32 is the one up for grabs. Kinda  surprise asset we got and with hours and hours in between pick 31 and 32 that gives us a tremendous amount of time to look at offers and consider the full board. 

So, here is my trade pick 32:

1.17, Bryan Bresee, DL Clemson
2.32 TRADE - Carolina for 2.39 and 4.114
2.39 Deonte Banks, CB Maryland
2.49, Felix Anudike-Uzomah, ED Kansas State
3.80, Keeanu Benton, DL Wisonson
4.114, Parker Washington, WR PSU
4.120, Ivan Pace Jr, LB Cincinnati
7.236, Brenton Strange, TE PSU
7.243, Max Duggan, QB TCU

I think Breese is in the top 3-5 most likely Steelers 1st round picks if you were to make a list.

I also like Uzomah.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AFF said:

I think Breese is in the top 3-5 most likely Steelers 1st round picks if you were to make a list.

I also like Uzomah.

Uzomah plays the game like James Harrison. He's just not 5'11" 245. He's good on the bull. He can dip and bend but he's just not short enough, fast enough, to "GET TO THE SPOT" where the tackle is in trouble, bc he's on him too quick, too fast. Harrison is like so deep in the backfield after the snap and bent 45 degrees and anchored into the ground, he's already past the arc. You already lost the battle. He's too deep in the backfield and we just started the play. So, your push, just pushes him along, because he's too strong too collapse onto himself. And he sacks the QB.

He doesn't have that, so he's not as unique. It's more of a fair fight. And I want my fights to be unfair. But he plays that kind of game. 

And he also has that Superman punch move or whatever you wanna call it that TJ does. 

Uzomah is slow off the ball, which is why he only had 8.5. And why he's not elite. He causes enough problems to be a nuisance. He's certainly more refined than most guys with his moves and has a higher floor than most. I'm just not sure I like that ceiling. Don't get me wrong he'll have a few really good seasons. I'm just expecting more in that 10-12 range for his great seasons and 8.5 in his good seasons. You either got that jump or you don't. You don't just become Dwight Freeney overnight. So I don't view him as truly special.

You will get less with Uzomah than what you have in Highsmith. I'm fine with letting him go to the Cowboys, Vikings, or there about...

3 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

Someone needs to sell me on Breese because I’m not seeing it at all. 

I won't.  M.Smith would be the player I would draft for IDL, not too early or late in the draft.   Early in the draft , I want OL, CB the most

lots of good players in the draft,  as long as we get good players for needs I am good with that. It would be nice to get Forbes and D.Wright. Perhaps trade down, Draft Torrence RD1, then  move the 49 Pick up to complete the aforementioned trio .  Julius Brents will be the other CB later, perhaps with a pic we add for trading down if that happens or if a player is traded or perhaps no trades at all.  Go with Forbes and Brents for the CB haul and with this class they need to get some CB's

The move for Chuks to LT (Wright at RT) can allow the above , but if Jones is there I expect that to be the pick

Chuks, Torrence, Cole, Daniels, Wright/Moore . 

If Weidl brings in a UFA for OG (Risner) or LT (Dillard) , that changes everything. Weidl took Dillard Rd1 and was highly regarded LT in the draft. What would his deal be considering he is a LT but never started for the last few seasons?

43 minutes ago, jebrick said:

IMHO, Wright is going to be a OG in the NFL.

so if we want to improve OT, then we go UFA then unless Jones is there at 17?  I like Moore but many want to improve LT.  Moore could be a solid swing OT or perhaps swing OL6 if he can play OG.  

A key component of getting the most out of QB rookie deal isn't taking chances on players that might be able to play LT or RT.  Thats how you get the QB on IR:ph34r:. Wright did well vs Anderson, so thats a good speed test anyways. 

If in fact Wright is to be OG, where do you expect him to go in the draft as a result? I would expect a bit lower, but maybe not?

Edited by 3rivers

1 hour ago, 3rivers said:

lots of good players in the draft,  as long as we get good players for needs I am good with that. It would be nice to get Forbes and D.Wright. Perhaps trade down, Draft Torrence RD1, then  move the 49 Pick up to complete the aforementioned trio .  Julius Brents will be the other CB later, perhaps with a pic we add for trading down if that happens or if a player is traded or perhaps no trades at all.  Go with Forbes and Brents for the CB haul and with this class they need to get some CB's

The move for Chuks to LT (Wright at RT) can allow the above , but if Jones is there I expect that to be the pick

Chuks, Torrence, Cole, Daniels, Wright/Moore . 

If Weidl brings in a UFA for OG (Risner) or LT (Dillard) , that changes everything. Weidl took Dillard Rd1 and was highly regarded LT in the draft. What would his deal be considering he is a LT but never started for the last few seasons?

Why would they switch Chuks and Moore?     If they didnt do it the last two years, why would they do it now?

Some Steeler fans are the only ones pushing Chuks to LT.   The Steelers moved Chuks to RT for a reason.   

Replacing Moore at LT is possible, but it wont be because Chuks is moving over. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, 43M said:

Why would they switch Chuks and Moore?     If they didnt do it the last two years, why would they do it now?

Some Steeler fans are the only ones pushing Chuks to LT.   The Steelers moved Chuks to RT for a reason.   

Moore at RT was a disaster and Chucks at LT was just ok. They tried it at the HOF Game 2 years ago. 

• Like 1

Just now, warfelg said:

Moore at RT was a disaster and Chucks at LT was just ok. They tried it at the HOF Game 2 years ago. 

In fairness, both players have improved.   That was Moore's very first game IIRC.

Either way...there is zero indication they have any intention of flipping them.   Again, if they replace Moore at LT (which I don't think they will in 23), it will be with a rookie, and Moore would either become a backup or possibly move to LG since he is definitely better than Dotson.

Just now, 43M said:

In fairness, both players have improved.   That was Moore's very first game IIRC.

Either way...there is zero indication they have any intention of flipping them.   Again, if they replace Moore at LT (which I don't think they will in 23), it will be with a rookie, and Moore would either become a backup or possibly move to LG since he is definitely better than Dotson.

The issue was Moore couldn’t kick back right leg first and Chucks took an average drop. If they would have wanted to try it they would have given it more game last preseason. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, 43M said:

It was mentioned on a clip  and I thought  perhaps they would do that as they know what Chuks can do. A rookie at LT, a bit of a risk. Ideally Weidl brings in his former RD1 pick from the Eagle to play LT, Dillard.  Then Torrence rounds out the OL , Moore is the swing OL or OT.  Moore kept improving, and I was good with that. It's just the that public want LT.  Rookie LT could be a risk , I would prefer a proven vet unless the rook is bluechip .

If Jones isn't there at around 15 (trade up)  then I expect them to pass on LT in the draft.  Roll with Moore and get trade down for Torrence for OL and maybe Wright  if they got an additonal pick in RD2 from the trade.  M.Smith in RD3 will help the DL

Khan and company should be able to get this team to compete, lots of players available and no need to overpay and overdraft. I would prefer a mix of UFA and draft because all draft could be a risk, we did this in the past and it never worked out.  

Edited by 3rivers