State of the Steelers

warfelg

1 minute ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I'm as big of an Edmunds defender as the next guy, but apparently the coaching staff disagrees with you on that one. He wasn't a huge priority this, or last, offseason. 

It might be that they have a value on the position lower than what he got. But he’s been a really good glue guy and a big part of the reason Minkah can freelance on the backend. He felt like the Ryan Clark to Minkah’s Polamalu. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, warfelg said:

It might be that they have a value on the position lower than what he got. But he’s been a really good glue guy and a big part of the reason Minkah can freelance on the backend. He felt like the Ryan Clark to Minkah’s Polamalu. 

Exactly.

Avwrage to maybe slightly above average but worked well with Minkah.

They didn’t give Kazee a big deal at all but the standard placeholder deal of 2/$6 mill.

If they don’t sign anybody before the draft , im guessing they’ll draft one by pick 120 at the latest.

I will reserve judgement on letting Edmunds go until I see how the rest of the offseason plays out. 

If they saw bringing him back as being complacent and are wanting to find an upgraded long term robin to Minkah’s Batman in the draft or free agency I’m fine with that.

If we see that they let him walk because he got a ridiculous contract elsewhere I’ll be fine with that as well.

If they plan on using Kazee as the full time starter and rely on someone like Tre Norwood as the 3rd safety I will, you guessed it, *need a new TV*

Give me Jammie Robinson in the 3rd or 4th as the new box safety/rover 👀

Already posted this but worth sharing again now that safety is officially a need. This class is “weak” but still a ton of guys I like for that Edmunds role.

Brian Branch, Antonio Johnson, Jordan Battle, Sydney Brown, Jammie Robinson, Ji’Ayir Brown.

I’d bet the house one of these 6 names ends up in black and gold. 

10 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

Already posted this but worth sharing again now that safety is officially a need. This class is “weak” but still a ton of guys I like for that Edmunds role.

Brian Branch, Antonio Johnson, Jordan Battle, Sydney Brown, Jammie Robinson, Ji’Ayir Brown.

I’d bet the house one of these 6 names ends up in black and gold. 

I think Antonio Johnson could be a sneaky pick at 32. Something like JPJ, Johnson, Washington, Brooks could be a real possibility. 

• Like 1

Severely lacking depth at OT/S/Edge/WR/TE

Theyll probably sign up 1 or 2 more lower level types and I know they can’t fix every hole draft wise but it’s looking rough at some spots.

Edge seems destined for at least a mid round pick so far I really see them trading down at 1 point to try to get at least 1 more mid round pick this year.

Maybe something like 32 over all for a 2023 2nd (45th or so) 2023 4th and another 5th or 6th this year.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, warfelg said:

I think Antonio Johnson could be a sneaky pick at 32. Something like JPJ, Johnson, Washington, Brooks could be a real possibility. 

I honestly don't get the love for JPJ.   He isnt terrible, but I dont see first round talent.   Its really going to frustrate me if we take him, likely because of his daddy.

4 minutes ago, 43M said:

I honestly don't get the love for JPJ.   He isnt terrible, but I dont see first round talent.   Its really going to frustrate me if we take him, likely because of his daddy.

He’s got incredible size, length, speed, and athleticism for the position. Great press man corner, really good hand usage at the LOS. Absolutely has the potential to be a dominant #1 press man corner in the NFL.

Problems are his stiff hips, lack of experience in zone coverage (I say experience and not ability. He has some good zone reps on tape he just hasn’t done it much, and why would you ask him to play zone when he was dominating WRs at the line rep to rep in college), and ball skills may be lacking as he only had 1 INT in college. That could be from college QBs avoiding him though.

Bottom line is I completely get your concern of us just blindly taking JPJ because his Dad was a legend for us…but he’s a damn good prospect in his own right. The more I read up on him the bigger of a fan I become. And I would rather us take a swing on him than pass him up and watch him become a shutdown corner for the Ravens or Cowboys.

Side note: it’s not like taking family lines/familiar players has burned us in the past. TJ Watt, Heyward looks like he was a steal, Trey Edmunds was a solid STer. Yea Derek Watt was super overpaid for a FB that was never used but even he was a good ST guy and that wasn’t too big of an opportunity cost to make TJ happy.

It’s not like JPJ is a 2nd round talent that we are going to take at 17. He’s a consensus top 20 guys almost everywhere you look and for good reason. 

JPJ really reminds me so much of Sherman as a prospect. If you read their draft profiles side by side you see they came out of college with the same strengths and weaknesses. Only difference is Sherman ran 4.6 coming out and JPJ ran 4.46…

JPJ could easily become a guy you leave on an island with the other team’s best receiver by year 2 or 3. Upside is through the roof.

37 minutes ago, August4th said:

I hope they trade down. sucks having no picks in rds 5 and 6 and this seems like a good draft to be picking in the middle rounds

Yep.   Id be thrilled if we traded down from 17 to mid or late 20s.

15 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

He’s got incredible size, length, speed, and athleticism for the position. Great press man corner, really good hand usage at the LOS. Absolutely has the potential to be a dominant #1 press man corner in the NFL.

Problems are his stiff hips, lack of experience in zone coverage (I say experience and not ability. He has some good zone reps on tape he just hasn’t done it much, and why would you ask him to play zone when he was dominating WRs at the line rep to rep in college), and ball skills may be lacking as he only had 1 INT in college. That could be from college QBs avoiding him though.

Bottom line is I completely get your concern of us just blindly taking JPJ because his Dad was a legend for us…but he’s a damn good prospect in his own right. The more I read up on him the bigger of a fan I become. And I would rather us take a swing on him than pass him up and watch him become a shutdown corner for the Ravens or Cowboys.

Side note: it’s not like taking family lines/familiar players has burned us in the past. TJ Watt, Heyward looks like he was a steal, Trey Edmunds was a solid STer. Yea Derek Watt was super overpaid for a FB that was never used but even he was a good ST guy and that wasn’t too big of an opportunity cost to make TJ happy.

It’s not like JPJ is a 2nd round talent that we are going to take at 17. He’s a consensus top 20 guys almost everywhere you look and for good reason. 

I wouldnt hate it like say...Artie Burns...because JPJ has alot more actual skill.   I just hope if we take him, we take for the right reasons.   If we do, I can accept it, but we as fans will have no way of knowing.