State of the Steelers

warfelg

3 minutes ago, warfelg said:

This is one heck of a late offseason grab. Glenn Thomas designed some really good offenses for Matt Rhule. 

I love it, get a new young guy in there to help Canada and provide some fresh ideas and concepts to the passing game.

• Like 1

We now have an assistant QB Coach, an offensive quality control, an offensive assistant, and a defensive quality control.

Eighteen (18!!!) coaches on a Mike Tomlin staff. Next you're gonna tell me he hires someone for the analytics department that has game day functions. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dcash4 said:

We now have an assistant QB Coach, an offensive quality control, an offensive assistant, and a defensive quality control.

Eighteen (18!!!) coaches on a Mike Tomlin staff. Next you're gonna tell me he hires someone for the analytics department that has game day functions. 

They already did that IIRC. Less an outside hire and more shifting someone from video to that. 

Also, in the words of DJ Khalid:

Dj Khaled GIF by Music Choice

Random thought:

The coaching staff and front office has almost doubled in size when combined in the last year. 

For years we always assumed it was because the Rooney’s couldn’t afford it. 

Starting to think it was Colbert who wanted that. 

9 minutes ago, warfelg said:

They already did that IIRC. Less an outside hire and more shifting someone from video to that. 

Also, in the words of DJ Khalid:

Dj Khaled GIF by Music Choice

I hadn't seen them make any analytics staff changes, but I will take your word for it. I didn't count Alexander because we have had 2 DB coaches in the building before, so that wasn't as odd a hire to me. The quality controls and assistant QB coaches are definitely new features on a Tomlin staff over the last 2 years that we didn't have before. 

8 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Can we stop blaming everything on Colbert? Mike was literally quoted a week ago saying: "So, small is better for me". Saw in that article Kozora mentioned that we were at 18 last year too, so my initial shock at the number is just a repeat of last year -- with new, more exciting titles and age. 

I agree with you on the Front office/scouting part and it is nice to see that there might be more money available to staff than we thought (though, there will always be financial restrain because Rooney is the 31st owner in net worth). There's different strokes for different folks. I personally like the way Khan is handling it by expanding more so than Colbert's way. But coaches general control their own staffs -- especially the assistants below coordinators. I have a hard time thinking one of the longest tenured, highest paid, well respected coaches in the leagues had to ask permission. 

1 minute ago, Dcash4 said:

I hadn't seen them make any analytics staff changes, but I will take your word for it. I didn't count Alexander because we have had 2 DB coaches in the building before, so that wasn't as odd a hire to me. The quality controls and assistant QB coaches are definitely new features on a Tomlin staff over the last 2 years that we didn't have before. 

Can we stop blaming everything on Colbert? Mike was literally quoted a week ago saying: "So, small is better for me". Saw in that article Kozora mentioned that we were at 18 last year too, so my initial shock at the number is just a repeat of last year -- with new, more exciting titles and age. 

I agree with you on the Front office/scouting part and it is nice to see that there might be more money available to staff than we thought (though, there will always be financial restrain because Rooney is the 31st owner in net worth). There's different strokes for different folks. I personally like the way Khan is handling it by expanding more so than Colbert's way. But coaches general control their own staffs -- especially the assistants below coordinators. I have a hard time thinking one of the longest tenured, highest paid, well respected coaches in the leagues had to ask permission. 

On the first part - it’s not always about the feature of adding a new spot. I like that hiring because it’s different. 

On the second part - you basically said what I said but I’m blaming Colbert? I didn’t “blame” him for anything. Just pointing out the small staff was likely what he wanted, not what budgets restricted. 

21 minutes ago, warfelg said:

On the second part - you basically said what I said but I’m blaming Colbert? I didn’t “blame” him for anything. Just pointing out the small staff was likely what he wanted, not what budgets restricted. 

Below is your post I pulled the quote from about Colbert. I am removing the middle piece about Rooney and I am left with:

"The coaching staff and front office has almost doubled in size when combined in the last year. Starting to think it was Colbert who wanted that."

Based on your quote you are putting both the front office AND coaching staff at the feet of Colbert. Tomlin deserves the credit for his role as the top of the coaching staff food chain and likely the one making those decisions in his silo. That's what my post is about. 

27 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

Below is your post I pulled the quote from about Colbert. I am removing the middle piece about Rooney and I am left with:

Based on your quote you are putting both the front office AND coaching staff at the feet of Colbert. Tomlin deserves the credit for his role as the top of the coaching staff food chain and likely the one making those decisions in his silo. That's what my post is about. 

Gonna disagree with this assertion based on how different things are trending.  And the GM has power and say in the coaching staff.  No team would let that happen without input.

Funny how you bolded coaching staff - left out that I said "when combined" in regards to the FO.

But I'm done with these conversations.  You seem to think I blame Colbert for everything when I don't - My post was nothing more than an observation that Colbert's way of business was to remain small and mobile and maybe the small staff was a choice, not a money factor.  I've made the same observation over a month ago on the contract structures that they are changing and the likelihood was it's a change in how business is conducted rather than financial constraints to doing something.

Edited by warfelg

30 minutes ago, warfelg said:

My post was nothing more than an observation that Colbert's way of business was to remain small and mobile and maybe the small staff was a choice, not a money factor.

Great, to which I agree.....with the Front Office. 

As long as you lay those choices at the feet of the person who is in charge of their staff and not lump them together under Colbert for convenience. It would be wild if Mike Tomlin didn't have autonomy over his own staff. Absolutely wild. That doesn't mean a lack of collaboration, but if Mike can't hire his own people we are a very strange organization. 

Same coaching numbers as last year (to this point). Tomlin quoted liking small numbers for control. The below quote about the process of hiring Flores.

"And so I go down the hall and I walk into Art Rooney's office. I say, Art, I've been talking to Brian Flores, man, kind of on a lot of things, just staying close to him, et cetera, et cetera. But now this thing is pushed toward coaching, man, this dude want to coach football, and I want to hire him. And he was like, 'great'. That's the extent of the conversation.

So yes, Khan and Colbert are two different people. They run things two different ways. There's no correlation between the Front Office changes and the way the coaching staff operates at this time. So I think we should bucket those two thoughts appropriately. 

5 hours ago, bigben07MVP said:

I love it, get a new young guy in there to help Canada and provide some fresh ideas and concepts to the passing game.

does this put canada on the hotseat? If by midseason the offence is trash, do they fire canada and give the OC to the new assistant ?

5 hours ago, warfelg said:

Random thought:

The coaching staff and front office has almost doubled in size when combined in the last year. 

For years we always assumed it was because the Rooney’s couldn’t afford it. 

maybe colbert had a philosophy that also had him control the number of coaches. 

4 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

Can we stop blaming everything on Colbert?

not really, as we don't actually know what he was entirely responsible for. Yet, with all the new xchanges, we can jump to conclusions I guess.

1ac5042d-3ada-4d5e-b7e2-ce3cac1af4d6_tex