State of the Steelers

warfelg

41 minutes ago, AFF said:

Yes it’s basically a 1 year $5.5 mill rental with the option to cut him after this season with no dead $$$

is he UFA after the season ? If so this is stop gap and thats it. Still draft Mingo, BFW , Wilson then?

2 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I think he has years left, but they're guaranteed so we can cut him for nothing. 

I saw the orange print for the other 2 years, so it appears the deal was front loaded.  If he does well, see how this goes, because the orange print were low cap value. As it is, this looks more like a 1 year rental  with possible 15M cap hit next year if kept around.

Still draft a WR and if they trade down a few times get 2 WR

We got him for next to nothing, and we needed a vet.

Im perfectly fine with this.   He isnt a gamechanger, but a vet stop gap that could be a nice mentor.

And we aren't trading Dionte this year.   Doesn’t make sense.   Made more sense last year and might make sense next year.   This year?   Not really.

Some interesting tidbits:

ARob is only 29.  For some reason I thought he was much older.

14 of his last 17 TD’s have come in the Red Zone.  Our Wr’s accounted for 5 total TD’s last year with only 3 in the Red Zone.  

His separation and catch rate out of the slot last year before the pedal foot injury was really freaking good.

He also is one of the better 50/50 ball guys in the NFL.

He ranked 9th last year in WR run block win%.

I think, if healthy (big qualifier), he will bring a lot to this team by being a little bit of DJ with route running and a little bit of Pickens with the 50/50 ball ability.  I think not being the top option on a team he will be freed up to work 1-on-1 as a big slot.  I think he’s going to be a good mentor for Pickens in learning how to leverage his size and body to get open for your QB when you aren’t the greatest at separation with footspeed. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, warfelg said:

Some interesting tidbits:

ARob is only 29.  For some reason I thought he was much older.

14 of his last 17 TD’s have come in the Red Zone.  Our Wr’s accounted for 5 total TD’s last year with only 3 in the Red Zone.  

His separation and catch rate out of the slot last year before the pedal foot injury was really freaking good.

He also is one of the better 50/50 ball guys in the NFL.

He ranked 9th last year in WR run block win%.

I think, if healthy (big qualifier), he will bring a lot to this team by being a little bit of DJ with route running and a little bit of Pickens with the 50/50 ball ability.  I think not being the top option on a team he will be freed up to work 1-on-1 as a big slot.  I think he’s going to be a good mentor for Pickens in learning how to leverage his size and body to get open for your QB when you aren’t the greatest at separation with footspeed. 

The trade has really grown on me after seeing how little it cost.

4 hours ago, 3rivers said:

is he UFA after the season ? If so this is stop gap and thats it. Still draft Mingo, BFW , Wilson then?

He has another year on his deal for roughly $15 mill but none of it is guaranteed.

I don’t think they’re drafting anybody this year now.

Overall on offense you might get a late round QB pick, maybe a TE pick and definitely an OL pick.

So, I've read a couple of articles from Steelers sites, alluding to the fact that this has no impact on whether we trade DJ, but that it does mean we won't draft a WR.  I actually see it the complete opposite way.  DJ is owed $8M this season, and $10M next, I believe?  That's pretty cheap of a proven outside WR, who's fairly healthy and available, and will just be turning 27 next season.  The A-Rob acquisition has, in my mind, opened the door for drafting a Mingo or Tillman, or maybe, that kid out of Stanford, Michael Wilson, who stands just short of 6'2", at 213lbs.  The kid's a willing and capable blocker, and not afraid to take the punishment across the middle.  And before someone points out that he only ran a 4.58 40, he also posted  a 1.50 10 yd split, which is the same as Hyatt, who ran a 4.40.  Anyway, I'm keeping my eye on him for maybe a Rd 5 or Rd 6 acquisition...but wait, we don't have that?  I think if we trade DJ, we'd likely get a 5th or 6th in return...maybe a 4th.

Back to my point...if they are expecting some mentorship out of Patrick Peterson at CB, why not the same for A-Rob?  Pickens??  Sure, I suspect some mentorship there, but they are different WR-types at this point in A-Robs career, but if we bring in a 6'1" to 6'3", 215-225lb WR, as a big-bodied-type of WR, something like what A-Rob's game is more similar to at this stage of his career, then that might fit really well into our strategy for the WR corps...

...or not...who knows, haha

Edited by Ward4HOF

1 hour ago, Ward4HOF said:

So, I've read a couple of articles from Steelers sites, alluding to the fact that this has no impact on whether we trade DJ, but that it does mean we won't draft a WR.  I actually see it the complete opposite way.  DJ is owed $8M this season, and $10M next, I believe?  That's pretty cheap of a proven outside WR, who's fairly healthy and available, and will just be turning 27 next season.  The A-Rob acquisition has, in my mind, opened the door for drafting a Mingo or Tillman, or maybe, that kid out of Stanford, Michael Wilson, who stands just short of 6'2", at 213lbs.  The kid's a willing and capable blocker, and not afraid to take the punishment across the middle.  And before someone points out that he only ran a 4.58 40, he also posted  a 1.50 10 yd split, which is the same as Hyatt, who ran a 4.40.  Anyway, I'm keeping my eye on him for maybe a Rd 5 or Rd 6 acquisition...but wait, we don't have that?  I think if we trade DJ, we'd likely get a 5th or 6th in return...maybe a 4th.

Back to my point...if they are expecting some mentorship out of Patrick Peterson at CB, why not the same for A-Rob?  Pickens??  Sure, I suspect some mentorship there, but they are different WR-types at this point in A-Robs career, but if we bring in a 6'1" to 6'3", 215-225lb WR, as a big-bodied-type of WR, something like what A-Rob's game is more similar to at this stage of his career, then that might fit really well into our strategy for the WR corps...

...or not...who knows, haha

I was all Adding another WR but with Robinson added and him probably seeing significant snaps, what would be the point off adding yet another mid round WR?

Unless they’re totally out on Austin, you have to let Pickens and Austin get another year under their belt and see where DJ is at.

If they do pick one, it means Austin is on the outs.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, AFF said:

I was all Adding another WR but with Robinson added and him probably seeing significant snaps, what would be the point off adding yet another mid round WR?

Unless they’re totally out on Austin, you have to let Pickens and Austin get another year under their belt and see where DJ is at.

I think it speaks more to DJ. Because ARob is mostly a 1-year rental. But with DJ you can be out after this season and not be on the hook for too much. 

In fact I wouldn’t be shocked to see DJ moved in draft. FA class sucked, draft sucked, trade market has sucked. If you go into the draft with DJ out there he’s likely WR2 in the board. And I’ll even give a hot take - I think if you got to pick 25-31 those teams would give up their 1st for DJ. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AFF said:

in case of injury. Not as important as Edge depth but still, draft Mingo or BFW  and be set for next year and know if they are good for next year. If not, then you know for next offseason. This team has lacked depth for so long I think many of us forget about it to a degree and have accepted the way it has been.

Don' t know how Austin will be, A-Rob had injury issues, Sims is gone, so draft Mingo or BFW and WR is all good IMO. Drafting early for WR after the A-Rob trade would be a controversial pick for this year anyways.

4 minutes ago, AFF said:

Plus everybody knows…they’re trading for Justin Jefferson next offseason

I read about this for this season, mitch + dionte+ 2 RD1 picks :ph34r:

6 minutes ago, warfelg said:

I think it speaks more to DJ. Because ARob is mostly a 1-year rental. But with DJ you can be out after this season and not be on the hook for too much. 

In fact I wouldn’t be shocked to see DJ moved in draft. FA class sucked, draft sucked, trade market has sucked. If you go into the draft with DJ out there he’s likely WR2 in the board. And I’ll even give a hot take - I think if you got to pick 25-31 those teams would give up their 1st for DJ. 

with all the draft picks the Bears have , maybe they trade for dionte, they seem to like our WR's. ;) I hope  claypool can help this along now that I think of it.