State of the Steelers

warfelg

46 minutes ago, Squanchy said:

What will we do after the draft.   I think it will go something like this is any order. 

Cry about the picks because you didn’t like them and hated the draft while discussing new players. 

Praise the draft and think the Steelers crushed it while discussing the new players. 

Talk yourself into thinking we got amazing steals because “I mean, Holland had how many picks?  That’s exactly what the secondary needs and he’ll be a huge steal.”

Or probably the worst outcome of all….. utter indifference.

it's nearing the end for me, seems as though fatigue has set in. Looking forward to the draft and once it's over. Just hope it goes well , not expecting  anything drastic  but wait and see.  Thre are players I would like, but we rarely got them n the past but that was a different FO.  suspense it is for  now

It would be nice to draft a few players we want and of course get s haul on a few drafts , mainly mitch and dionte as they are the only players that either need to go (mitch)  or have value (dionte) 

4 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

it's nearing the end for me, seems as though fatigue has set in. Looking forward to the draft and once it's over. Just hope it goes well , not expecting  anything drastic  but wait and see.  Thre are players I would like, but we rarely got them n the past but that was a different FO.  suspense it is for  now

It would be nice to draft a few players we want and of course get s haul on a few drafts , mainly mitch and dionte as they are the only players that either need to go (mitch)  or have value (dionte) 

Damn.  Don’t burn yourself out before the draft even happens. 

For me I’m mentally preparing, if they stay at 17, for the possibility of any of the following.  While I’ll like some I’m doing my best to talk myself into others. 

B. Jones

D. Jones

Skoronski

Wright

Harrison

Porter

Banks

Bresee

LVN

N Smith

Murphy

Branch

I have no clue what is possible but I’m preparing for as much as I can. 

5 minutes ago, Squanchy said:

For me I’m mentally preparing, if they stay at 17, for the possibility of any of the following.  While I’ll like some I’m doing my best to talk myself into others. 

B. Jones

D. Jones

Skoronski

Wright

Harrison

Porter

Banks

Bresee

LVN

N Smith

Murphy

Branch

I’ve been saying for about week and half it’s going to be Wright or D Jones…I’ll include B Jones but I don’t think he makes it to 17.

Just now, AFF said:

I’ve been saying for about week and half it’s going to be Wright or D Jones…I’ll include B Jones but I don’t think he makes it to 17.

I don’t think B. Jones does either but I think if any of the “big 3” were to drop he’s a possibility.  Gotta hope there’s a run on edge. 

21 minutes ago, Squanchy said:

B. Jones

D. Jones

Skoronski

Wright

Harrison

Porter

Banks

Bresee

LVN

N Smith

Murphy

Branch

I don't think this list is inaccurate but not a lot to be excited about there.  IMO anyways. 

lately I have also had later picks of interest that would be good. Not the usual run of the mill from the masses Porter at 17 or Broderick Jones at 17 media predictions.  These later picks might not be possible unless they trade down a bit and get enough picks.

For example:

Getting 2 CB's would be nice but if they got enough picks, and the right CB is there depending on how they go about it, there could be a nice pick for a 3rd as far fetched as that is.  Just consider  the CB situation next year even if Patrick returns. 

I notice RB's are always there in RD3 or RD4, good ones.  That might be an idea but only for depth for now. McFarland  was good in limited snaps last year though, so I doubt it. What if Warren or Najee get hurt ? 

OL should always be kept as a priority and as a result stay good. However, the colbert regime let is go and it ended up being weak again. This cycle of positional groups getting really bad is a pattern from colbert that I noticed, not just limited to a player or injury either.   This won't happen  with the new regime IMO, they are already on it to correct these issues moving forward.  

CB's to get later are THT and Bennett. Maybe Rush but he had a really good senior bowl and has a fast 40 so he won't be later and doesn't seem quick or twitch like either. Bennett and THT could slot , something to consider since Sutton is gone and Maullet could be improved upon but I did like the airplane celebration thats for sure. 

OL - some of the Centers are there in RD4 and RD5.  Get one now to either redshirt  while Cole is here, and if Coles signs elsewhere or if the new Center is better then start when that is determined.  Green and dotson better be gone, not sure they should even be camp bodies  because it is taking the chance away from another potential player. 

It appear as though this draft  has lots of good players in RD3 and Rd4 . It would  be a pleasant change if  or GM made a few trades and got more of these picks to get good players out of this draft. It might not play out like these mocks, but Henley tends to be there near 80.   The Centers can be Rd3 to Rd5 ,  Patterson never allowed a sack during his career at ND if you can believe that,  so not bad for a lat round pick I would say. 

QB's too, those QB2 prospects are there RD4 or RD5 range depending on who.  colbert would try to bring back dobbs, just like when we had people out of retirement because colbert was too lazy to get players.  This FO won't be doing that, I expect good draft picks and UFA activity every year. 

Safety as well, seems like these really good safeties are there in RD3 or so,   another reason to get RD3 picks. 

Something that is a concern is if they get a player in RD1 or RD2 that won't even start other than EDGE.  If they get a DT in RD1, that  pick needs to be for a starting OL  or CB.  Even Edge, there are good players in RD2 for that.

This is a great  draft to trade down in and it happens to coincide with our needs. 

My avatar is annoying and a reminder but should be changed after the draft , hopefully 

Edited by 3rivers

45 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

Some rumors that Kyler is pushing the Cardinals staff to take Paris Johnson. That would not be good for our odds at landing a top OT

if we make the trade before the draft , this is the risk as it takes 1 team to do this.  If Paris is gone and then Devon is gone, then it's time to trade down a few times.  It wouldn't be the end of the world IMO as long as they get a nice haul of picks and then get good players.  

Last half of the season LT wasn't a major issue either.  Our new Interior  alone should be a major improvement snd if the run game is actually legit and used on a regular basis, that will help too. 

for a detailed idea of trading down:

My current mock:

Round 1: Devon Witherspoon CB Illinois

Round 2a. Dawand Jones OT Ohio State

Round 2b: B.J. Ojulari EDGE LSU

Round 3: Keeanu Benton NT Wisconsin

Round 4: Ricky Stromberg Center Arkansas

Round 7a: Jordan Howden S Minnesota

Round 7b: Deneric Prince RB Tulsa

• Like 1

just put him at END/EDGE if TJ or Alex get injured. Herbig can get some snaps but  Leal seems more than capable to be the rotational EDGE/End .  If he loses weight , maybe the spin move becomes almost as good as Alex's .  We should be good for EDGE  if they let Leal play there. With TJ and Alex on the field, Leal could move inside on passing downs.  The front looks to be good 

• 2 weeks later...