State of the Steelers

warfelg

7 hours ago, 43M said:

Pickett has some tools, but they need to be highlighted and used effectively.     A consistent quality run game is going to open up so much on the field and allow Kenny the chances to gain some confidence in what he is seeing out there.     If teams do not fear our run game again, I think Kenny will struggle enough that the front office will consider bringing in a vet.   I doubt we draft another young QB next year unless we are picking early or they fall in love with someone.

This is a very fair assessment. 

I really think the success of a small minority of day 1 starters has really blinded some people to the growth of young QBs along with it being almost 20 years since we’ve seen it play out like this. It’s like it’s forgotten early Ben was run run PA to improvise on the fly and he left the pocket a lot too. There’s more Josh Allen/Jalen Hurts type growth for young QB than there is Joe Burrow style instant success (I left Mahomes and Jackson out on purpose for sitting an entire year for one and the other being a running back who happens to throw). 

Kenny making rookie mistakes never bothered me the way it did some corners of Steelers fandom. Now I do care about that progressing after an entire offseason, which it appears that he’s working on the correct things. 

• Like 3

Did anyone else see the piece with George Kittle on the Sf offense? His basic thing, which is what I always hope the Steelers do, is line up in the same formation with the same motion and both run and pass from that.  Kittle pointed out a series of plays in their playoff game vs Seattle where they ran the ball 3 times with the same formation/motion and gained 2-3 yards per and then once when they passed out on it the result was a 75 yard TD.  Make all your running and passing plays look alike.

Edited by jebrick
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, BetterCallSaul said:

I think it’s weird Steelers fans hate Canada. He was such a good OC in college with piss poor talent. He seemed like a great fit with Pickett too. 

I think we are waiting to see the full playbook.  We are all hoping to see a motion offense like SF or Miami but we keep seeing the same old same old.  That might be Tomlin holding them back or Canada but this year we will see.

9 hours ago, BetterCallSaul said:

I think it’s weird Steelers fans hate Canada. He was such a good OC in college with piss poor talent. He seemed like a great fit with Pickett too. 

Bolded here is key. I think he does some good things but in general is way over his head as an NFL play caller. His offense is easily figured out by NFLs DCs and he fails to make adjustments or play the “chess” game that is necessary at this level.

He’s had a built-in excuse every year up to this point. Barring a major injury, this year he will have none.

2021 - It was still the Big Ben show and he needed a mobile QB to run his offense (Ben was a statue at this point).

2022 - Wasn’t allowed to take the training wheels off for a rookie QB. Offense was still really young.

Its put up or shut up this year for Canada, to say the least.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, August4th said:

wonder what happens if warren takes another step while Harris remains a good back but nothing extraordinary...don't we have a decision to make on his option soon? could 24 be Harris last yr here?

They would need to make the decision on the 5th year option next off-season. His pro bowl appearance might knock him out of contention for the option without a pretty big year. 

I really hope they remember that they can use him in the passing game. Najee had more targets in his rookie season than both running backs did last year combined. Kinda odd with Mitch and a rookie at QB. Would really like to see a plan to get those guys the ball in space -- for two very different reasons. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, August4th said:

wonder what happens if warren takes another step while Harris remains a good back but nothing extraordinary...don't we have a decision to make on his option soon? could 24 be Harris last yr here?

Would be identical to the scenario where an undrafted Ekeler burst on to the scene behind a inefficient former first round pick in Melvin Gordon. The Chargers picked up Gordon’s 5th year option but let him walk after. But regardless of Jaylen Warren, I think the most likely scenario is Najee’s option is picked up and he does not get a second contract here. 

FWIW, Warren’s rookie year compared to Ekeler’s rookie year (the year before the Chargers picked up MG3’s option)

Warren Rushing: 77-379-1 (4.9 ypc)

Warren Receiving: 28-214-0 

Ekeler Rushing: 46-260-2 (5.5 ypc)

Ekeler Receiving: 27-279-3 

Now I don’t think Warren has the ceiling as a receiver of Ekeler and idk if Warren will ever lead the league in TDs like Ekeler just did but I think Warren is already a much better pass blocker and one of the best in the league at it. Rewatching some games from last year and I just can’t get this comp out of my head.

Edited by bigben07MVP

I just want the Steelers to pay a million a year to the best sports psychiatrist in the world. 

Diontae Johnson runs a route, he wins the route. It’s that damn pesky brain that always gets in the way. 

4 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

I just want the Steelers to pay a million a year to the best sports psychiatrist in the world. 

Diontae Johnson runs a route, he wins the route. It’s that damn pesky brain that always gets in the way. 

It’s going to be funny when he goes for something like 90/1000/5 TDs and everyone’s complaining will go away.