State of the Steelers

warfelg

Just now, warfelg said:

While I wouldn’t mind seeing him gone - that still doesn’t explain the difference between what he wants in a punter and what we bring in to work with. 

The fact that no one can explain it is part of the reason he should be gone.   

3 hours ago, warfelg said:

Not quite sure how that’s on him but ok. I mean I’m not going to fight that he shouldn’t be fired. 

Its not on him that he keeps trying to pound a square peg into a round hole?

Maybe its not 100% on him, but a good coach adapts to a players skillset.   And since it seems to be an issue for him, its on Tomlin and the front office for not giving him the player he wants.

2 minutes ago, jebrick said:

It is impossible to believe that Smith does not have the final say on drafting a punter.  My bet is he has a say on the rds 6-7 as ST'ers.

What’s more possible:

- Coaches being so involved in the pre-draft process that they can overrule scouts. 

- Scouts and coaches, even after years working together, not being on the same page of what they need to get. 

43 minutes ago, warfelg said:

What’s more possible:

- Coaches being so involved in the pre-draft process that they can overrule scouts. 

- Scouts and coaches, even after years working together, not being on the same page of what they need to get. 

#1 is more likely but #2 is also common when a coach can't explain what they want.  I could see that for a CB but not a punter.  You want a big leg but directional accuracy.  That is simple.  I was watching the Jets/Cowboys game where punters were booming 60+ yard punts.  Punter were dropping the ball inside the 10 yard line whenever asked.  so the punters are there.

4 minutes ago, jebrick said:

#1 is more likely but #2 is also common when a coach can't explain what they want.  I could see that for a CB but not a punter.  You want a big leg but directional accuracy.  That is simple.  I was watching the Jets/Cowboys game where punters were booming 60+ yard punts.  Punter were dropping the ball inside the 10 yard line whenever asked.  so the punters are there.

It’s more #2 than #1. Steelers fans think the positional coaches are much more involved than they are. They only really get involved then it’s a toss up between two players. I would say we got more here Danny Smith is struggling to explain what he wants. Those ones booming big punts only have ok accuracy. Those ST coaches change coverage schemes to fit the punter, while Smith is trying to change the punter to fit his scheme. 

9 minutes ago, warfelg said:

It’s more #2 than #1. Steelers fans think the positional coaches are much more involved than they are. They only really get involved then it’s a toss up between two players. I would say we got more here Danny Smith is struggling to explain what he wants. Those ones booming big punts only have ok accuracy. Those ST coaches change coverage schemes to fit the punter, while Smith is trying to change the punter to fit his scheme. 

Then we need to get a new ST coach. If he can't explain that he wants a directional punter then he's dumber than we imagined. Either way you suss this out, Danny Smith needs to go. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Then we need to get a new ST coach. If he can't explain that he wants a directional punter then he's dumber than we imagined. Either way you suss this out, Danny Smith needs to go. 

Like I said at the start, and even in PS, the issue is that what we get and what he wants don’t match. But I know that the coaches aren’t as involved in the draft process that most assume. They join the process in full about 2 weeks after the season ends. Scouts are generally on the case in a 2 year cycle. The head coaches involved in the process generally only get involved in RD 1/2 guys about 6 months out. 

1 hour ago, warfelg said:

Like I said at the start, and even in PS, the issue is that what we get and what he wants don’t match. But I know that the coaches aren’t as involved in the draft process that most assume. They join the process in full about 2 weeks after the season ends. Scouts are generally on the case in a 2 year cycle. The head coaches involved in the process generally only get involved in RD 1/2 guys about 6 months out. 

I'm not arguing that really. That's a good insight into the process. I think if the team wants boomer punters and the coach wants directional punters and we draft boomers who get neutered by the coach, then the coach is the issue. He's not buying in to the team concept. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I'm not arguing that really. That's a good insight into the process. I think if the team wants boomer punters and the coach wants directional punters and we draft boomers who get neutered by the coach, then the coach is the issue. He's not buying in to the team concept. 

Yea it’s one of those baffling things that I just can’t make sense of. I think it comes down to his understanding of the winds and turf in Heinz/The Big Sure and what it means for FG/XPT and that insight it worth the trade off.

7 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

what if Tomlin is telling  smith what to do and thats the problem? How can we find out? Probably never will find out, but we can keep watching and know what to expect.   It bothers me when other teams have ST that are much better  in punting and field position that results. 

Edited by 3rivers