State of the Steelers

warfelg

Overall going into next year…biggest needs are in no order OL/DL/WR/secondary.

I’m gonna make the assumption theyll be somewhat aggressive in FA like they were last year.

They can clear about $50 mill In cap room with just cutting Johnson/Robinson/Heyward/Petersen.

Id be looking to replace at least 1 of Cole/Chuks with a proven starter type in FA.

17 minutes ago, AFF said:

It’s short sighted decisions like that that keep them mired in mediocrity.

I agree with the statement in general, but Heyward is still playing like a top 5/10 guy at the position as of last year. I'd like to see them add another Benton area prospect in the draft and start to phase out Heyward as the play slips (if it does). 

The end of this year could change my mind if it looks like the Cliff showed up, but I am still interested in a short extension but a draft pick added to the talent pool to prepare for the near future and take a little off his plate. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

I agree with the statement in general, but Heyward is still playing like a top 5/10 guy at the position as of last year. I'd like to see them add another Benton area prospect in the draft and start to phase out Heyward as the play slips (if it does). 

The end of this year could change my mind if it looks like the Cliff showed up, but I am still interested in a short extension but a draft pick added to the talent pool to prepare for the near future and take a little off his plate. 

I’m off the mindset of using that $16 mill more towards younger players that can help multiple years…especially since you can probably get 2 solid players with low year 1 cap hits with that.

Your reasoning makes sense…maybe im

just looking through the lens of ripping the band aid off and moving in another direction.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AFF said:

I’m off the mindset of using that $16 mill more towards younger players that can help multiple years…especially since you can probably get 2 solid players with low year 1 cap hits with that.

Your reasoning makes sense…maybe im

just looking through the lens of ripping the band aid off and moving in another direction.

That’s why I offer up the Troy/Ben “thank you” extension. Restructure next years money, 4 year deal with all league min, throw a few extra mil in there. He gets to keep playing, we get cap relief. 

2 hours ago, AFF said:

It’s short sighted decisions like that that keep them mired in mediocrity.

They make decisions like the Rooney's run the team.  If Belichick were the GM/coach they would have traded Heyward already.  They would have traded Polamalu and Ben but they did not and they will not trade a very popular member of the team.

2 hours ago, warfelg said:

That’s why I offer up the Troy/Ben “thank you” extension. Restructure next years money, 4 year deal with all league min, throw a few extra mil in there. He gets to keep playing, we get cap relief. 

what would the cap hit be for a rotational player that was a legit probowler at one time?