State of the Steelers

warfelg

5 minutes ago, warfelg said:

He did practice there earlier this year and I’m trying to find but I remember the rumor being he practiced a ton at RT at Georgia because of Andrew Thomas. 

I haven’t seen anything where he worked at RT with us. Not saying he didn’t, but I haven’t seen it. They moved Moore over there for him to get more work at LT, but I only remember seeing him there. 

I can understand he may have worked there in college, but I’d they throw him in cold having never worked with US there…it would be an incredible dumb decision on a week where you really don’t practice. 

1 minute ago, Dcash4 said:

I haven’t seen anything where he worked at RT with us. Not saying he didn’t, but I haven’t seen it. They moved Moore over there for him to get more work at LT, but I only remember seeing him there. 

I can understand he may have worked there in college, but I’d they throw him in cold having never worked with US there…it would be an incredible dumb decision on a week where you really don’t practice. 

https://triblive.com/sports/steelers-rookie-broderick-jones-making-most-out-of-recent-switch-in-practice-to-right-tackle/

3 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

Oh good one week. Never mind. Totally normal decisions! 

I mean - this is all on comments to a tweet, there’s no actual reporting saying that’s the case. Not that I’m not concerned but with Moore’s positional flexibility, this is one of the few things you can do at OT. 

BTw this isn’t to say I wouldn’t be concerned at all with Jones at RT. But both Moore and Chucks have been issues this year. Chucks has barely ever worked at LT and is a liability in the run game, Moore has worked at RT but is somehow worse there. Jones is the only one that gives some ability to play either side. 

I think not having a better swing backup than Cook really hurts here so you can plug Jones at LT and still have competition for Okorafor. I think if you bench Moore leaving Chucks in there, Chucks knows Moore and Cook aren’t threats for his job. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, August4th said:

they need a whole decade to fix the running game?

2019 was the year Ben got hurt so I sorta discount that year. But in all the others our attempts per game rushing are within 5 places as our YPC stat. In that time our lead carry guy was also low relative in targets. 

I also laugh a little to myself on things like this because we’ve talked so much about fixing the run game but here’s what drafting looks like from the OL perspective:

2017 - No one

2018 - RD3 Chucks Okorafor

2019 - RD7 Derwin Grey

2020 - RD4 Kevin Dotson

2021 - RD 3 Kendrick Green, RD4 Dan Moore

2022 - No one

2023 - RD1 Broderick Jones, RD7 Spencer Anderson

In that span Alex picked we picked 3 OL in the first 2 days of the draft.

In 2019 the average age of our OL was 30. To only take 1 day 2 pick in the 4 drafts til Jones was picked is run game malpractice.  On top of that the AV of an OL player peaks at year 8, starts dropping at 10, plummets after 12 (years after leaving college - Villanueva is the oddball case due to military service).

By 2021 the average age was 24.4 with this highest drafted player on the OL being 3rd rounders Okorafor and Green.

If you look at the late 90’s-early 2000’s when we were a much better run team, we were consistently drafting OL in the top 3 rounds.

EDIT - I find this antidotally funny too:: 7 OL in that time. Drafted 6 RBs (and added Warren for 7). I wish I had sporran premium to look at OL signings and RB signings but I feel like it would be more of the same.

Edited by warfelg

7 hours ago, bigben07MVP said:

I think our best OL is 

77-73-78-71-76

I would even prefer trying 77 at RT when 65 can return to LT of all things. 76 has been having too many issues but 65 was as well.  76  gets traded in the offseason, so see how they OL is without him

The interior above looks promising.. Cole has been subpar this year , and it doesn't matter if he sticks up for players in scuffles if he doesn't block for them well enough

different look tomorrow ? of course, Moore is out with knee re-injury

6 hours ago, August4th said:

they need a whole decade to fix the running game?

no, they still haven't fixed it.  Maybe the question is "do they even care to fix the run game and know how to?" 

looking at the graphic above, I would say the don't care about the run game whether it's the ben steelers or now with KP, no run game

6 hours ago, warfelg said:

we’ve talked so much about fixing the run game

when are they going to talk about fixing the run game?   Thats the issue with this team, the fans care more than the FO/coahces

29 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

I often think there is a strange parallel between Coach Tomlin and coach Franklin..so when I saw this I laughed out loud. They are now stealing phrases!! 

but tomlin needs to win first .  Nothing is for sure with this offence