State of the Steelers

warfelg

9 hours ago, 43M said:

Yeah...I honestly dont get this love for Fields.

Is he overall better than what we have now?  Sure, but thats saying very little.

I don't believe he is a better pure passer than Kenny.   Not that he is necessarily worse, but I certainly dont believe he can beat teams with his arm.   

Fields is a gimmick QB, and they never work out.    He is merely a QB that keeps us hovering around the middle.....at best.   The offense would likely operate under two extremes....the exciting games where we get 300 rush yards vs teams that dont know how to defend against mobile QBs OR the endlessly frustrating games that force him to win with his arm, and in most cases, he absolutely cannot do that.

Again....not opposed to giving up a 4th or so....but the suggestions of giving up 2nd rd value for him are absolutely ridiculous IMO.

The case for Fields is Tomlin likes him.  Wanted to trade up for him.  Just think what he could do with the Steeler playbook!!

10 hours ago, jebrick said:

The case for Fields is Tomlin likes him.  Wanted to trade up for him.  Just think what he could do with the Steeler playbook!!

He could start by tossing it in the garbage, a nice pass over the recycling bin and right to the trash. Not worthy of recycling. Not even worth bedding material in the doghouse either

https://x.com/steelersdepot/status/1738235091456012726?s=46&t=xd5QJpZuXv2k7qD0xqd6aA

Edit: The rumor tied to this that I heard was that towards the end of this, ARII was the one behind the push for doing everything to extend Bens career. At various points Tomlin had been enamored with Jackson, Mahomes, Fields, Allen, Hurts, and a few others. He was also a bigger fan of Etienne the player than Najee the player. There was OL/DL that he liked at certain points but the “BPA” theory pushes others up the charts over guys he preferred. Some of his frustrations is stemming from the fact that the internal push to try to prolong Bens career was at odds with his build for beyond, and that his input was “nerfed” to you get a say in what RB we take and things like that. 

Edited by warfelg

3 hours ago, warfelg said:

https://x.com/steelersdepot/status/1738235091456012726?s=46&t=xd5QJpZuXv2k7qD0xqd6aA

Edit: The rumor tied to this that I heard was that towards the end of this, ARII was the one behind the push for doing everything to extend Bens career. At various points Tomlin had been enamored with Jackson, Mahomes, Fields, Allen, Hurts, and a few others. He was also a bigger fan of Etienne the player than Najee the player. There was OL/DL that he liked at certain points but the “BPA” theory pushes others up the charts over guys he preferred. Some of his frustrations is stemming from the fact that the internal push to try to prolong Bens career was at odds with his build for beyond, and that his input was “nerfed” to you get a say in what RB we take and things like that. 

Source?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, August4th said:

steelers twitter would have a meltdown lmao

I honestly think I would for anyone other than Ben Johnson. Apparently his agent tried to shoot down the $15MM+ rumor. I honestly do think that rumor was purely to scare off Carolina. 

7 minutes ago, warfelg said:

I honestly think I would for anyone other than Ben Johnson. Apparently his agent tried to shoot down the $15MM+ rumor. I honestly do think that rumor was purely to scare off Carolina. 

not a fan of the potential coaches available? I see some intriguing names

1 hour ago, Dcash4 said:

Just like the LSU guy. 

Daniels and Williams will go 1-2. 

Daniels is kind of like Dobbs with his legs. Really long and wiry, which to say he's also a bit thin, and he also runs high, but he's most dangerous with his legs. Not explosive like LaMar more agile like Randall Cunningham and elusive with good long speed call it 4.4. His arm slot from where he throws, he throws a bunch of lollipops on deep balls, which should be a cause for concern with NFL DB's, and his overall arm velocity is like 90 MPH - nothing special. Given his legs, and the gimmicky or deception of modern day OC's, he will surpass or should surpass the nothing special guys like Jalen Hurts and guys of this nature. Steamrolling the Fields of the day.

I can drop down into Jordan Travis territory at like 93 MPH on the gun and with his stable nature and foundation and pure pocket presence and ability to withstand and athletic enough to evade, not obliterate opponents, have a more pure passing threat that will over time hang up over a full season. And I do that at the top of the 2nd round as opposed to the top pick. That's a bit better value and you pick up much value with comparable trade offs. 

Seeing this QB class makes you feel bad for the Carolina's of the world, and to a lesser extent Houston, who didn't quite get a franchise guy at the top.