State of the Steelers

warfelg

14 hours ago, zflairway said:

Patrick Peterson must be the worst starting cornerback in the league, which is why he was signed to the Steelers. He could probably be better at safety than xyz, but that's stating the obvious 

Can anyone see Peterson being the starting SS, next to Minkah, next year? They both have some weight to them…both have ball skills, both ‘can be’ physical. It would be like having two interchangeable hybrid (i.e. free/strong/slot) safeties.

9 minutes ago, rlon said:

Can anyone see Peterson being the starting SS, next to Minkah, next year? They both have some weight to them…both have ball skills, both ‘can be’ physical. It would be like having two interchangeable hybrid (i.e. free/strong/slot) safeties.

maybe, but not ideal. I think Peterson would be a good traditional FS like Minkah but they need to keep Minkah at FS IMO because thats what he likes and is good at  - ballhawk .  Once again we might have a player out of position, but thats the steeler way in these recent times

22 minutes ago, rlon said:

I can see it with us playing a good amount of cover-2 as well, and use a 3 Safety look for when you want to drop a safety into the box.  I also think this is what you really need to be able to "hide" Minkah more to confuse defenses is to have a good enough safety that it's not like you have a 'weak link' to pick on.  I really feel that's what hurt us in the early part of the season, they knew when you moved Minkah that pushed Kazee/Neal into deep field roles which neither is good at.

4 hours ago, rlon said:

He is nimble and tenacious. Quick and instinctive. He's like Mike Hilton in the slot but more elite because he's got a bigger triangle. His best asset is his acceleration plus he's a sound tackler. This guy is the honey badger. And you can see that anytime he plays in the slot. His worst plays in the slot are better than his best plays at safety. 

He only plays in the slot here.

Then he plays safety but his best plays mostly come at slot.

When he plays deep he is very average. His closing of gaps across long distances is not what makes him great. It's his ability to accelerate and move in short spaces quickly. He's not an outfielder covering ground out there. On any of his deep plays here it's just ho hum. Yeah, whatever. We can plug anyone in there and do that. 

2:30 - we can watch him here and stumble or not he's not moving very fast covering ground and chewing up the angle of the OL. He's got average long speed, plus acceleration, and plus agility. And we can do plus plus if we feel like it. ^_^

The very next play... he brushes off the block and takes a good angle here. This was a very average play for him in the slot.

The very next play.. he times the blitz perfectly and is on you faster than Mike Hilton because he's taller with the same type of measurables. It's like a bird extending his wings and covering more ground. He can tip passes more easily, he takes your angle away to evade him, and is more deadly coming at you because it's a much bigger and dynamic player (i.e. this is a problem).

Minkah Fitzpatrick is 1970's Steelers slot and 2010 Steelers free safety. I don't even think his ability to shag the fly is that good either, which is another mark against him as an outfielder. It's almost like his brain doesn't work that way and it works better taking angles where he can control the angle better because he has the advantage, not the other way around (i.e. long speed). And his long speed 40 time is a product of his pop out the gate, not anything you want to lie to yourself about B|

4 hours ago, rlon said:

Peterson is not a strong safety at all. Demani Richardson might be good. Patrick Peterson is for me a cut player. And that pains me because he's one of my favorite Tigers of all time.

5 hours ago, 3rivers said:

maybe, but not ideal. I think Peterson would be a good traditional FS like Minkah but they need to keep Minkah at FS IMO because thats what he likes and is good at  - ballhawk .  Once again we might have a player out of position, but thats the steeler way in these recent times

Peterson has lost a step so he's no longer a good fit there. Minkah is a ballhawk in the sense he has a nose for the ball, not that he likes contact or can play center field like Andy Van Slyke ¬¬

5 hours ago, rlon said:

I suppose this is where we are at with 'can be' :x

4 hours ago, warfelg said:

He said himself on his podcast that a move to safety would allow him to play longer and wants to do it. 

So, my question is, given this does corner become a clearly higher need than safety? I mean, I had it as a higher need but both as relatively on par needs. With Peterson as a SS solution, does the need for corner dwarf  the need for safety unless a stud safety falls and represents great value? I like Kazee, I like Rowe and Thompson…is Kazee forever compromised, however, in terms of being able to give it all he’s got and worrying about being repetitively suspended??? That question influences off-season approach imo. 

8 minutes ago, rlon said:

So, my question is, given this does corner become a clearly higher need than safety? I mean, I had it as a higher need but both as relatively on par needs. With Peterson as a SS solution, does the need for corner dwarf  the need for safety unless a stud safety falls and represents great value? I like Kazee, I like Rowe and Thompson…is Kazee forever compromised, however, in terms of being able to give it all he’s got and worrying about being repetitively suspended??? That question influences off-season approach imo. 

Yes because Wallace is a FA, Trice is injury prone, Sullivan sucks, and Rush is an unknown. 

I know some will hate this but I’d be ok with Wallace back on a 2 year deal. He’s been solid and can still bridge us to the next CB. 

5 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Yes because Wallace is a FA, Trice is injury prone, Sullivan sucks, and Rush is an unknown. 

I know some will hate this but I’d be ok with Wallace back on a 2 year deal. He’s been solid and can still bridge us to the next CB. 

He was terrible at beginning of year but has been better of late.

I would still prefer just dropping some $$$ on someone like Snead or Johnson but Wallace coming back wouldn’t be terrible depending on $$$

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, AFF said:

He was terrible at beginning of year but has been better of late.

I would still prefer just dropping some $$$ on someone like Snead or Johnson but Wallace coming back wouldn’t be terrible depending on $$$

I agree about spending for a top tier CB. I'd like to bring in a good safety to pair with Minkah too, but I think CB is the better investment. I'd be ok with bringing back Edmunds to stop gap at SS while we bring along a young guy to take over. I don't really want Kazee or Neal back, but if I had to choose one it'd be Kazee. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I agree about spending for a top tier CB. I'd like to bring in a good safety to pair with Minkah too, but I think CB is the better investment. I'd be ok with bringing back Edmunds to stop gap at SS while we bring along a young guy to take over. I don't really want Kazee or Neal back, but if I had to choose one it'd be Kazee. 

I can def see edmunds back on a 1 yr deal. steelers have a history of bringing back mainstays on defense. Gay, Harrison, foote..almost got Bud back last year

• Like 2

4 hours ago, warfelg said:

but this is a passing league, we won't have a QB or more than 1 proven CB on the roster next year. All on board?

too bad TJ and Minkah  don't demand a trade and go win on a legit team

7 hours ago, August4th said:

would y'all be willing to trade away our 2nd for fields? have a feeling that'll be the asking price 

No

forget fields. Right now if Mason keeps playing good, keep him around and KP is QB2 , build the OL and go from there.