State of the Steelers

warfelg

44 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

I wouldn’t hate that at all. He’s a little old school but certainly the “adult” in the room that we desperately need. What he did with the Cowboys offense this season without Kellen Moore was impressive. 

And although Dak had a couple of back breaking interceptions, I put that embarrassment against the Packers more on the defense than offense.

It was more of Love playing a perfect game.  Sometimes you can't overcome that.

If Tomlin is back, as the team owner I would pay a OC record amounts to run that and put that same clause in place that Mayo had of as soon as Tomlin is gone, you are HC. 

Edited by warfelg
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, warfelg said:

If Tomlin is back, as the team owner I would pay a OC record amounts to run that and put that same clause in place that Mayo had of as soon as Tomlin is gone, you are HC. 

but AR2 won't spend, so forget it. You have the point, no way they get a legit OC if they have no stability since the HC is on the hotseat, especially if the OC knows that tomlin isn't good and the culture here is flawed more than than OC would care to deal with. 

1. Hire Mike Mccarth as OC

2. Trade 2024 2nd and 2025 3rd for Justin Fields

3. Draft a RT in the 1st round and a C in the 3rd (or trade back up into the 2nd)

4. Sign Tyler Boyd 

I just fixed the offense. 

1. Sign a CB2 (La’Jarius Snead)

2. Sign a starting safety (Chauncey Gardner Johnson)

I just fixed the defense 

1 minute ago, bigben07MVP said:

3. Draft a RT in the 1st round and a C in the 3rd (or trade back up into the 2nd)

4. Sign Tyler Boyd 

I just fixed the defense 

4 for the offense is the only thing I can’t see happening. He seems so salty over us not drafting him. 

1 minute ago, warfelg said:

4 for the offense is the only thing I can’t see happening. He seems so salty over us not drafting him. 

You could exchange Boyd with a number of names.

Tyler Boyd, Rashid Shaheed, Curtis Samuel, KJ Osborn, Kendrick Bourne, Josh Reynolds, Darnell Mooney (loosely in that order). This is the type of/tier of Wide Receiver we need. All younger reliable vets but with a ton more juice than Allen Robinson.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

4. Sign Tyler Boyd 

I just fixed the defense 

I definitely wouldn’t be opposed. I really go back and forth on Fields. He obviously has way more potential than we have right now. I question how good he can become, but only losing a 2nd and following 3rd is pretty small price to pay. I’m also skeptical that we can get a center in the 3rd that’s better than Cole. Definitely more room to grow, but I think I’d like to look at ufa or trade. We need a vet. But being between two solid guards could help a kid. 

If we got Sneed and CHJ, this defense is pretty elite. We could even try to grab someone like Maason Smith in the draft to give us another shot on the d-line.

I think big changes need to occur. I do still think Tomlin is the guy to lead the team, though. We need a better staff of guys around him. McCarthy could be a fun OC. I’m generally fine with Austin staying as DC. I think things need to change for Tomlin, though. Which I don’t think is impossible. I see the Harbaugh situation as similar. We need to modernize the team and the approach. Now, maybe Tomlin doesn’t want to do this and he actually does want to retire. That’s fine too. But either way, big changes need to occur. I’m agnostic at this point on Tomlin staying or going. If he embraces change, I’d love to keep him. I do think he does a great job with the players. 

Here’s why I’m agnostic on it. I don’t know how much his thumb is on the scale. Either he gives his bad OC’s too much freedom and they suck, or his vision is ball control and he only goes for OCs that only do that. Either way it needs to change. Plodding offenses are too reliant much chance. Modern offenses highlight their players talents. Ours seems too much like “this is the system, you fit to this.” Even changing something as simple as not doing the exact thing you’re lined up to do would go a long way. 

• Like 4

looking at the AFC and man, we're falling behind most of the conf when it comes to QB

Raiders

Broncos

Pats

Titans

these are the only teams whose QB situations is as bad as ours. NE and LV are in position to draft a guy and tenn might have something in levis. The Jets might be in this group a yr from now if Rodgers retires. Cle too if Watson still sucks lol

• Like 1

This is a tin foil hat theory that I think @warfelg will appreciate/get behind.

It seems like Tomlin is really pushing for leverage right now, a lot more than he has in the past IIRC. Telling his reporter buddies that he’s considering leaving, walking off the podium last night.

What if this is not just financially motivated but he is actually positioning himself to have more control, specifically over his staff? What if promoting Fichtner, hiring Canada, retaining Canada etc. were all moves that were heavily influenced by ownership and Tomlin wants the complete freedom to make those decisions himself and to ensure he will have complete control over the OC hire this offseason. 

idk I could either have hit the nail on the head or completely wrong with this but just a theory I had. 

• Like 1