State of the Steelers

warfelg

23 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Leal.

Demarvin Leal is and will never be an edge rusher. He doesn't possess the twitch at his size for the role. He's not a 5 technique either where you want him maintaining gap discipline over more gaps than he has as a 3 tech. He is a three technique that needs a blitzing defense behind him that can use his ability to stunt and move around the corpses with great tempo to be a dynamic substitution piece as part of a d line rotation. 

43 minutes ago, zflairway said:

Demarvin Leal is and will never be an edge rusher. He doesn't possess the twitch at his size for the role. He's not a 5 technique either where you want him maintaining gap discipline over more gaps than he has as a 3 tech. He is a three technique that needs a blitzing defense behind him that can use his ability to stunt and move around the corpses with great tempo to be a dynamic substitution piece as part of a d line rotation. 

he was a wasted pick, one of many from colbert in recent drafts.  

Perhaps more than anything, this team needs to clear out the roster of players that aren't veratile or are without position. Leal would be one of these, no use and taking up a roster spot. If Moore is strictly a LT, then he has to go too.  The reserve OL need to be versatile

Leal never appeared to fit  into this defence. Wasted pick

can they trade Leal to anyone?  call up the bears or rams? 

• Like 1

I sometimes think Tomlin sounds like he is a college coach believing he has years to build the program vs thinking with the urgency that the NFL often requires...but this seemed like one of his better pressers. More direct. Less "tomlinisms". 

Firm on the outside hire. Called out Leal and Harvin. Continually committed to change. 

Actions speak louder than words, but IMO this was a good presser. 

Two things I think are meh though:

- Kenny as the QB, but with competition. Not that it shouldn't happen, but good luck selling an offensive locker room about that guy after your third stringer was the most productive guy in the last 2 years. Thought it would have been better to lean on the injury and that the expectation after the coordinator change would be that Kenny could/would have seen similar results but his availability was unfortunate. This wasn't an endorsement of his QB that a long struggling offense likely wants to hear but also sounded like the plan for 2024 won't see significant changes to the depth chart. There's gonna be some head hunters in that room if there are any early signs of struggle. 

- Broderick Jones's no solid answer to positioning. Kinda get it, but please just develop the really talented guy and figure out the rest. Jones mentioned RT being his less comfortable/natural side. Move him to the left and be done. Don't impede the development of the dude you drafted to be a stud. 

Best response of the day: when asked if it would be better to go 3-14 vs being .500 or one and done- "It all sucks. There's no degrees of suck"

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

he was a wasted pick, one of many from colbert in recent drafts.  

Perhaps more than anything, this team needs to clear out the roster of players that aren't veratile or are without position. Leal would be one of these, no use and taking up a roster spot. If Moore is strictly a LT, then he has to go too.  The reserve OL need to be versatile

Leal never appeared to fit  into this defence. Wasted pick

can they trade Leal to anyone?  call up the bears or rams? 

It's not too late on him, but the ship has sailed on Dan Moore. He needs to play in a scheme that fits the mold of his skillset. Why draft players that are 3 techniques and think maybe we'll turn him into an edge, when he doesn't fit in that either. It sounds like Dan Moore. Yet, there's a better slab to work with than big hands and long arms. The old age formula of this stagnant franchise except when it comes to quarterback. How apropos. If you give Leal a good conditioning program that fits his natural position and get him back to where he started you might have something in 1-2 years. When you have no other depth to speak of, it's worth the investment and roster spot, versus say Isaiah Loudermilk. 

I will say on the Jones comments - there was another spot in the presser where he said that he was unable to comment on something because it was too soon to think about it.

I think it’s just a commentary that they feel comfortable with him just out there but they don’t want to lock in on RT needing to be the move should the opportunity for a top LT present itself.  I think it’s also a commentary that Moore id getting replaced. 

2 hours ago, zflairway said:

If you give Leal a good conditioning program that fits his natural position and get him back to where he started you might have something in 1-2 years

why not draft players suitable for the scheme in place? I never understood the idea of developing  players when they had all of NCAA to show what scheme they are best suited for

2 hours ago, warfelg said:

I will say on the Jones comments - there was another spot in the presser where he said that he was unable to comment on something because it was too soon to think about it.

I think it’s just a commentary that they feel comfortable with him just out there but they don’t want to lock in on RT needing to be the move should the opportunity for a top LT present itself.  I think it’s also a commentary that Moore id getting replaced. 

I just disagree with the thought. Cater to the person currently on your roster that you thought highly enough to move up in the first round to get. Let that kid go into the off-season knowing where he is going to be so he can hone his craft and try to become the best whatever-position he can be. 

There's a lot of personal work he can put in between now and May. Dismissing the development of a guy currently on your roster for the hypothetical need of someone who isn't is a mistake IMO.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

why not draft players suitable for the scheme in place? I never understood the idea of developing  players when they had all of NCAA to show what scheme they are best suited for

It's a convoluted time in this era with many moving parts. It would seem they are merely fighting for their lives and trying their best to survive. Taking best player available, regardless of scheme, trying players out of position, with no regard of success or demise. It would appear they are in over their heads.

12 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

I just disagree with the thought. Cater to the person currently on your roster that you thought highly enough to move up in the first round to get. Let that kid go into the off-season knowing where he is going to be so he can hone his craft and try to become the best whatever-position he can be. 

There's a lot of personal work he can put in between now and May. Dismissing the development of a guy currently on your roster for the hypothetical need of someone who isn't is a mistake IMO.

TBH I don’t disagree with you at all. I was more just thinking out loud of why he wouldn’t be definitive out loud about that. I would hope at least behind closed doors he was clear with Jones as to what to do. Too many opportunities in the draft to upgrade RT and let Jones move. 

Aside - I was gonna add FA to that second point and hell it’s sad when your best PTs in FA will be Trenton Brown and Jonah Williams. God every time I think of that I get so sad thinking about FA/Draft. 

15 hours ago, 3rivers said:

The scheme in place is HS level or at best lower tier college.  While I agree that they need to draft players and then scheme for them I will hope that Khan and company do better than Colbert.  Najee, for instance was a Colbert pick.  The offense that was designed was not for a North-south runner but a one-cut back.  I think Najee struggled for so long and wasted years with the square peg in the round hole.

Leal has talent and showed really flashes early in his rookie year. Unfortunately it looks like he is in Tomlin’s dog house which probably means he will do nothing here until he leaves and becomes a really productive player for the Cardinals or something 

• Like 1