State of the Steelers

warfelg

5 hours ago, jebrick said:

I hope he is making this up.

so is he worse than tomlin? Wasn't AR2 the one that hired Canada and wanted to keep him?

maybe neither are good

3 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Why would we trade Minkah? That's like cutting a hole in your boat as your trying to plug another leak. 

Teams sometimes trade a top tier player if they believe it's worth it in the long run and they can get value.  Not a wilson or walker type trade of course, but  if the exisiting GM will trade down and pool picks, it gets to be of interest .

the team won without him as well (but can't without Watt for example) and he has trade value IMO.  Thats all.  It saves major salary that can be put to an area of major need that will help the team win.  Center, CB, ILB, OT  not sure of the order but you get the idea.  

I would trade a lot players from this team if I could, but I can't see it happening. Minkah is a player some teams would be interested in.  I'm a fan of Minkah's as much as anyone here on this team ,  but if they really need to add some picks , this is about the only way they can do it.  Even trading down from 20, probably won't get much and only go down a few spots. 

I doubt they trade dionte .  Then  we all agree  chuks , mitch are  probably cut. Peterson is done, will waste a roster spot because tomlin likes him. They better not trade GP but maybe that happens.  No idea what the FO will do, but just keeping what they have and not getting more picks makes UFA less involved and the draft even more crucial since this team needs major additions

Edited by 3rivers

2 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

so is he worse than tomlin? Wasn't AR2 the one that hired Canada and wanted to keep him?

maybe neither are good

Teams sometimes trade a top tier player if they believe it's worth it in the long run and they can get value.  Not a wilson or walker type trade of course, but  if the exisiting GM will trade down and pool picks, it gets to be of interest .

the team won without him as well (but can't without Watt for example) and he has trade value IMO.  Thats all.  It saves major salary that can be put to an area of major need that will help the team win.  Center, CB, ILB, OT  not sure of the order but you get the idea.  

I would trade a lot players from this team if I could, but I can't see it happening. Minkah is a player some teams would be interested in.  I'm a fan of Minkah's as much as anyone here on this team ,  but if they really need to add some picks , this is about the only way they can do it.  Even trading down from 20, probably won't get much and only go down a few spots. 

I doubt they trade dionte and chuks , mitch are  probably cut. Peterson is done, will waste a roster spot because tomlin likes him. They better not trade GP but maybe that happens.  No idea what the FO will do, but just keeping what they have and not getting more picks makes UFA less involved and the draft even more crucial since this team needs major additions

I think this free agent class is solid enough that we won't need to rely on the draft to get a huge amount of starters. I have faith that Weidl and Khan will make some magic with our draft picks regardless if we have 10 or 6. I think a lot of fans are pretty jaded on this team. I don't think it's nearly as doom and gloom as people make it out to be. 

• Like 1

I really want Mike Sainristil on this team

I'd take him in the 2nd ... He's the ideal nickel for this defense and could probably play outside in base D

2nd maybe high for this team for a nickel DB but I think he's that good + leadership as well

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cbrunn said:

I really want Mike Sainristil on this team

I'd take him in the 2nd ... He's the ideal nickel for this defense and could probably play outside in base D

2nd maybe high for this team for a nickel DB but I think he's that good + leadership as well

I’ve never heard of him. I’ll check him out.

21 minutes ago, warfelg said:

He’s solid and doesn’t make you force CB in RD1/2. He struggled at the start of the season but finished much better. 

Well I strongly disagree with that take. Yea he wasn’t as good awful as he was the first half of the season but he was still a complete liability. I hope we clean house in the secondary, we need 3 new starters (CB2, SS, Nickel). 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

Well I strongly disagree with that take. Yea he wasn’t as good awful as he was the first half of the season but he was still a complete liability. I hope we clean house in the secondary, we need 3 new starters (CB2, SS, Nickel). 

Agreed.   I wouldn't mind him as depth, but he isnt good starter next to JPJ.   

That being said, we dont have much at corner, especially if PP is cut, so he will probably be back.

1 hour ago, 43M said:

Agreed.   I wouldn't mind him as depth, but he isnt good starter next to JPJ.   

That being said, we dont have much at corner, especially if PP is cut, so he will probably be back.

I wouldn’t mind him as the main outside CB depth guy…maybe I mean maybe the other starter for the 1st 1/4 of the season til a rookie gets up to speed.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AFF said:

I wouldn’t mind him as the main outside CB depth guy…maybe I mean maybe the other starter for the 1st 1/4 of the season til a rookie gets up to speed.

I think some of you guys are forgetting how garbage this dude was. Maybe if it was just a few bad plays here and there but it was a combination of being one of the worst corners in the league and giving dog crap effort on several occasions. There are too many options out there to bring a guy like him back on your team. 

19 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

I think some of you guys are forgetting how garbage this dude was. Maybe if it was just a few bad plays here and there but it was a combination of being one of the worst corners in the league and giving dog crap effort on several occasions. There are too many options out there to bring a guy like him back on your team. 

I think you’re going way too far in that.  His struggles early in the season was when the entire secondary struggled as 3/5 of the regular players were changed out.  He finished the year really strong.

At the end of the year he was:

39th in man coverage success

27th in catch rate allowed

47th in passer rating allowed

Every metric of what he allowed puts him in a decent CB2 category.  The issue early in the season that hurt all of this was that we were using him as CB1 because of Peterson.  So we roll coverage Peterson’s way putting Wallace on an island, which exposed some of his issues.  As soon as JPJ came in he was locking down WR1’s as the CB1, puts Wallace back on CB2’s, and allows the S’s to play balanced coverage which helped.  

Long story short, Wallace back on a 2 year deal to allow us to transition is a good idea.  Drafting another young CB is not the best idea, especially expecting them to start ASAP for the defense.  Wallace as the CB2 to start, draft a CB in RD2/3, bring them along, and shift Wallace into an inside/outside role would be the best thing you can do for development.

Also, I don’t think it can be understated how bad our safety situation was this year along with the mismanagement of taking Minkah out of the Joker role on the backend and turning him into a matchup type player taking TE’s and Slot guys.  It made it too easy to avoid Minkah and pick on guys like Neal (crap in coverage) and Kazee (crap in coverage), which will always make CB’s look worse than they are unless they can perfectly blanket someone.

14 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

I think some of you guys are forgetting how garbage this dude was. Maybe if it was just a few bad plays here and there but it was a combination of being one of the worst corners in the league and giving dog crap effort on several occasions.

Wallace was actually pretty decent in 2022, and kinda fell off a cliff in 23.   Not saying it excuses anything, but he has at least shown the ability.   Certainly not my first choice to bring him back, but it wouldn't be the first time we retained a mediocre player due to lack of viable optiions and having too many holes to fill.

Even if we retained Wallace as depth, we STILL need help at the position.

14 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

There are too many options out there to bring a guy like him back on your team. 

Really?   Are there really that many options out there?   Even if there are, say...15 to 20 better options out there....there are also 32 teams, and most of them could probably use another corner.   

And as I said....we need more than just one.   So even if we managed to find a CB, we still need more help, and the chances of finding another one thats CLEARLY an upgrade over Wallace may be difficult.   There is always at least one mediocre CB we retain longer than we should due to lack of options.

Bottom line...Im not necessarily in favor of bringing him back, but as cheap depth or possibly just preseason competition, I am okay with it.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, 43M said:

Wallace was actually pretty decent in 2022, and kinda fell off a cliff in 23.   Not saying it excuses anything, but he has at least shown the ability.   Certainly not my first choice to bring him back, but it wouldn't be the first time we retained a mediocre player due to lack of viable optiions and having too many holes to fill.

Even if we retained Wallace as depth, we STILL need help at the position.

Really?   Are there really that many options out there?   Even if there are, say...15 to 20 better options out there....there are also 32 teams, and most of them could probably use another corner.   

And as I said....we need more than just one.   So even if we managed to find a CB, we still need more help, and the chances of finding another one thats CLEARLY an upgrade over Wallace may be difficult.   There is always at least one mediocre CB we retain longer than we should due to lack of options.

Bottom line...Im not necessarily in favor of bringing him back, but as cheap depth or possibly just preseason competition, I am okay with it.

FA corner market is top heavy. Drops off fast. So if preseason competition is what you are signing him for, he’ll go elsewhere. 

After Johnson, Sneed, Moore it’s a bunch of 30+ or disappointments available. Take the quick swing at Johnson/Sneed and if you fall short flip to Wallace quick. 

Edited by warfelg