State of the Steelers

warfelg

39 minutes ago, August4th said:

I think that plays in part with the hype Garrett receives. He looks like a god in human form. I think Garrett is really good, but it feels like the media badly wants to put him in the Reggie white, LT, deacon Jones tier when he's closer to the Terrell suggs tier. 

I find it super interesting.  Like Garrett is a great player, but you aren't letting the play speak for itself.  You are having to prop him up with all of these BS things to make some reason to prop him up.  Hell we had a 9 year period with JJ Watt and Aaron Donald were DPOY for 6 of those years.  Doesn't mean there weren't other great IDL playing in that time.

Garrett had a roid rage incident wherein he attacked Mason Rudolph with a weapon and then lied, playing the confabulated racist card to save face. The media was very easy on him as per both of these transgressions. The narrative is for this guy to be the darling defender of the NFL and I am not sure why.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, warfelg said:

And Micah Parsins out here saying TJ ain’t a top 5 pass rusher. When asked who they were he named Myles, himself, Crosby, Nick Bosa and “not TJ”. Backed it up by saying “look at the stats.”

Parsons is not the sharpest tool in the toolbox. 

Just now, bigben07MVP said:

Parsons is not the sharpest tool in the toolbox. 

He's not, but I tell you what, the stupidity of discourse that it creates on Twitter is now there are people going "guys that play ball know more than anyone else".

You know, this will be hated, but I’m coming around on the thought of Tannehill.

He’s enough competition for Pickett that it’s legit a threat, but he’s not a Fields trade/Wilson signing where you feel that guy deserves the edge because of name/what was given up.  So it’s not like he’s going to come expecting to be up there, however if he took the job it’s wouldn’t be bad.

Additionally he really took to teaching Will Levis last year, and knows Smith’s offense, so if he loses he would be a great voice in Pickett’s ear when they are off the field.  He can help him with where the looks are, what the reads are, things like that.

I think that’s the biggest issue with the whole thing that happened.  No one in the NFL from a QB perspective played in Canada’s offense, so you got a rookie, a bust, and Mason in a room not knowing how the offense works all trying to figure it out.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, warfelg said:

You know, this will be hated, but I’m coming around on the thought of Tannehill.

He’s enough competition for Pickett that it’s legit a threat, but he’s not a Fields trade/Wilson signing where you feel that guy deserves the edge because of name/what was given up.  So it’s not like he’s going to come expecting to be up there, however if he took the job it’s wouldn’t be bad.

Additionally he really took to teaching Will Levis last year, and knows Smith’s offense, so if he loses he would be a great voice in Pickett’s ear when they are off the field.  He can help him with where the looks are, what the reads are, things like that.

I think that’s the biggest issue with the whole thing that happened.  No one in the NFL from a QB perspective played in Canada’s offense, so you got a rookie, a bust, and Mason in a room not knowing how the offense works all trying to figure it out.

It'll be interesting to see how this all plays out.  I'm still of the belief that Pickett deserves a legitimate chance with a new Pass Game Coordinator, who may be able to accentuate his positives, in a new system, filled with Play Action and Zone Rushing schemes...

However...if Tomlin/Artie Smith/Sullivan come to the conclusion that they've seen enough to know, that Pickett is nothing better than a Solid #2 QB, then what's the best option?

Trade 1.20 for Fields??

Select their favorite out of Nix/McCarthy/Penix at 1.20??

or, as you postulate...Sign Tannehill, who might be able to actually help mentor Pickett into a worthy #1 QB in a year or two??

Problem is, IMO, by signing Tannehill, 'we' are actually, honestly, giving up on Pickett, because by the time Tannehill is ready to turn over the reigns, heck, Pickett is 28YO at that point, so 'we' are hoping to solve the QB position in a different way, before Tannehill leaves.  IDK, just a supposition on my part...

So, if I'm Pickett, I'm not liking my odds for starting next season, but we'll see...

I will say, if it's not Pickett, then I'd trade 1.20 for Fields...the QB who is almost a full year younger than Pickett, and has proven to at least be able to be productive, with coachable flaws, but I wouldn't cry if bringing in Tannehill is the choice...especially with the Artie Smith connection.

16 minutes ago, Ward4HOF said:

Problem is, IMO, by signing Tannehill, 'we' are actually, honestly, giving up on Pickett, because by the time Tannehill is ready to turn over the reigns, heck, Pickett is 28YO at that point, so 'we' are hoping to solve the QB position in a different way, before Tannehill leaves.  IDK, just a supposition on my part...

I think all the other options say that. I think Tannehill says “we got a failsafe to compete for the playoffs” while not completely shutting the door on Kenny. It really gives them a chance to say “Kenny ain’t it” in game. 

I hate being in QB purgatory like this. I'm rooting for Kenny to figure it out and most of his problems were Canada related lol

I think they'll go into camp with

Kenny/tannehill battling for QB1

Mid RD rookie for QB3 role

Edited by August4th

I think Tannehill is the smart move.  You got to cut Tribisky and by all accounts now it sounds like Mason isn’t coming back.  Tannehill is a strong backup and plan B for Pickett.  This is the most likely scenario.

I do think Pickett is a lost cause at this point.  Id love to get Fields, but I also think there is too much risk to give up a premium pick for him.  

There is no one in this draft worth taking unless they really fall.  

• Like 1

I’m for Tannehill. I think he’s much better than Joe Flacco, and could probably take our team(with an off-season of improvements) to the playoffs. He could maybe win a playoff game if the matchup is right. It’s a better supporting cast than the team that dragged a dink and dunk Ben to the playoffs and a great record. Tannehill can at least do what Ben did his last year, and probably move a tiny bit too. 

Chad Reuter put together a doozy of a mock.

https://www.nfl.com/news/three-round-2024-nfl-mock-draft-patriots-deal-for-justin-fields-in-one-of-five-first-round-trades?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Took Trevin Wallace out of Kentucky (LBer) at 20, leaving Guyton and Fautanau on the board stating LBer injuries as to why we need one.

He has Aramus Mims in the second for us, which….I don’t mind the pick but he’s not making it there.

Then he has us with TJ Tampa in the 3rd, and I got to be honest I got him going 4/5th rounds.  But he has that over SVP.