State of the Steelers

warfelg

40 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

Cushenberry and Jerome Baker are the two announcements I’m realistically hoping to see today/this week.

I'd be happy with this and still have cash left over

2 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

Yea I would pass on that scenario. Would have to be for MHJ and even then I have some pause because we already have Pickens in the fold and how important is WR2 in a very run heavy Arthur Smith offense?

If we were to trade up it would be to #7 or #8 to jump ahead of the Bears. #5 is too rich for me, unless it’s for Drake Maye.. We should not be in the business to be trading future picks away with no QBOTF on the roster.

I doubt we would get there, and I think 6 is more likely should Alt make the jump.

There’s some rumors out there teams don’t like Maye and he might end up sliding on draft night. 

The issue with that is you really only want to pay 1 WR at a time.  Pickens is in line for an extension last year, and with his maturity issues, I wouldn’t even put it as a lock it happens.  Odunze would be in the running for WR1 if it weren’t for MHJ.  So having 4 years of a cost controlled WR to pair with a paid guy for 3 of those years.  It also keeps you cap sheet cleaner for next year should Russell ball out and you need to keep him.

FWIW I’m not saying this should happen, rather it’s just my gut that we randomly showed interest in RD1 WR’s, DJ on the block, the interest in outside QB’s.  If this is a smoke screen it’s one hell of a smoke screen.

5 hours ago, 43M said:

Who would have changed our placement in the AFC?    I don't see a single QB we could've REALISTICALLY brought in this offseason that was going to significantly move that needle.

Genuinely surprised its you with the pushback of me not being excited about solidiying ourselves to mediocrity, a pick between 18-22, and no closer to a QBotF that won't cost us a plethora of day 1 and day 2 picks. 

But to answer the question, likely no one. Cousins, if he is healthy. Fields has the high end variance, but an unstable floor. But I think the chances were already high of us getting 8-10 wins and a first round exit with Kenny, Mason, Tannehill, Fields, or other. So I don't think a lot changed. It's the future implications that I have no excitement for. 

So while I think this is fine for 2024 and an upgrade, we aren't any closer to a super bowl or finding the future of the position. Hence, "meh". 

5 hours ago, 43M said:

1) Its extremely cheap

If this is reason number 1, you think it's meh too. 

5 hours ago, 43M said:

4) I dont agree this puts the nail in Picketts coffin. 

I have zero interest in a lame duck year with Kenny playing for the starting gig. I don't understand what that accomplishes other than allowing Minkah and TJ to get a year older and the younger stars a year closer to money. This signing isn't competition for the spot; they just signed QB1. Unless Kenny gets significant snaps this season and earns the opportunity, we can't go into 2025 with a hope and a prayer that he is just magically something different than we have seen over the last 6 years of him being a starter across college and pros. 

Stop wasting time at the most important position in the league. Russ is a stop gap. If it works, pay him his $35-$40M/year and if it doesn't find a QB worth a damn.

5 hours ago, 43M said:

downside to this signing

I mean this in the nicest way possible (truly not meant as a jab, just that you wrote the post and reference back to it), but you are the King of Spinning Tires here. IMO this moves solidifies doing just that again and puts us no closer to getting out. If anything, likely moves us a bit further away. 

5 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

But to answer the question, likely no one.

I think this is the true problem at hand.  No one that could have come in and changed anything. And that’s what sucks about where we’ve been from a roster construction standpoint the last few years.  It’s good enough to not have a top 10 pick, but bad enough to not end up at the bottom 10.  We’ve paid out too many people to have true FA spending flexibility to allow you to give up picks to go up, but we’ve also never moved down to collect picks to have that ability without killing ourselves.

Personally I think this is the Pickett nail in the coffin.  If Russell wins the job (easy if) and sucks, you would bring in Pickett, so you get that look before needing to decide on a 5th year option.  If Russell wins the job and is good, why would you let him walk out the door, but then that means committing to a 5th year for Kenny without seeing him play again.  I think the only way Kenny is the answer longer term is if he wins the competition and is good all year.

19 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

Genuinely surprised its you with the pushback of me not being excited about solidiying ourselves to mediocrity, a pick between 18-22, and no closer to a QBotF that won't cost us a plethora of day 1 and day 2 picks.

This is BS.  I will quote someone else who nailed this argument

The Steelers picked 11th in 2004, not 1st overall.

Seattle picked 25th the year they got Russell Wilson

The Bills were 9-6 and made the playoffs the year before drafting Josh Allen.

The Packers were 10-6 and made the playoffs the year before they drafted Aaron Rodgers.

The Chiefs were 12-4 and hosted a playoff game the year before they drafted Mahomes.

The idea that you can only get a great player when you are drafting top 5 isn't correct. It might improve your chances somewhat to have the first overall pick, but considering there have really only been 3 legit superstar QBs drafted first overall in the past 25 years, I'm not sure that helps much, either.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jebrick said:

I like that argument but it leaves out a big thing IMO.  Those teams were also much more complete.  I’m really on the process that teams that are more complete of a roster is what matters more than where someone is drafted. And that’s what all of those teams have that the high picking teams have.

6 minutes ago, jebrick said:

Those are outliers…plus the Bills and Chiefs had to trade up for their guys.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Mitch Morse signed for 2 years with the Jags. $10.5M with $7M GTD.

Oooofff that’s pretty cheap.

Christ they gave Cole 3/$16 IIRc.

10 minutes ago, AFF said:

Those are outliers…plus the Bills and Chiefs had to trade up for their guys.

THAT IS WHAT YOU DO.  Build a good team and get your QB.  If they thought Daniels or McCarthy was their man they should go get them.  The FO has been way too timid under Colbert.  If they really think Nix or Penix is the player, I would guess they fall to the Steelers.

3 minutes ago, jebrick said:

THAT IS WHAT YOU DO.  Build a good team and get your QB.  If they thought Daniels or McCarthy was their man they should go get them.  The FO has been way too timid under Colbert.  If they really think Nix or Penix is the player, I would guess they fall to the Steelers.

Again: context. At least you have it in there of good team. 

They were both a QB away. It’s an outlier because teams do not build that way, not because of anything else. More often than not though the way you get the QB is by picking early. 

9 minutes ago, jebrick said:

Trading up also comes with even a greater risk…your giving up multiple 1sts and 2nds usually in multiple years.