State of the Steelers

warfelg

3 minutes ago, jebrick said:

They are an excellent example of building a great team and then getting a QB that can run the system.  Purdy is not an elite QB.  He is on an elite team with elite weapons.  As of yet, he can't put a team on his shoulders.

If you don't have Shannahan, you don't have this model. It's a bad example. 

4 minutes ago, jebrick said:

Bill Cowher did the same thing

As is looking 20 years behind us when talking about the modern league. 

4 minutes ago, jebrick said:

Crappy teams

We are not a crappy team. That's the difference. We are in the same place these teams you keep mentioning decided to go for it and try to stop being mediocre. 

10 minutes ago, jebrick said:

You can root for a big losing season with the hopes that it forces a "management" change.

I don't root for the big losing season. I root for going for it, because mediocrity is a hell that gets harder and harder to get out of the more you stay in it. The Steelers, IMO, with Wilson are actively choosing mediocrity. 

1 hour ago, warfelg said:

Yes and no.  I think you need enough building blocks to feel like you are a QB away, along with cap space to build around their strengths and weaknesses with them.  I think that’s something KC/Buffalo had at the time they made their moves because in both cases they just made the playoffs and lost with Smith/Taylor at the helm.

If you don't think we have the building blocks now to take on a QB, personally, I don't think you ever will. There isn't much - if anything at all - that separates us from those Bills or Chiefs teams from a player perspective. 

We just made the playoffs, as we have 3 out of the last 4 seasons. 

When does "just build" turn into "go for it"? Because if it's waiting on the perfect roster we are gonna be waiting a while. The NFL isn't built to maintain that...at least Not For Long. 

11 minutes ago, 43M said:

Its pretty simple....

You CAN find a franchise QB outside the top 5-10, but its rare and difficult to do.

I am okay with building up our team in other areas given the situation we are in, but we have had alot of hollow, meaningless wins over the last few seasons that hurt us more than they helped.

The way this team is built, we likely aren't picking top 10 the next few years outside of being ravaged by injuries.   So we better hope we can find a QB outside the top 10, otherwise the tires will keep spinning.

I think they'll eventually do the big trade up for a QB like  KC did for Mahomes, Buf for allen. SF for Lance etc..

1 minute ago, Dcash4 said:

If you don't have Shannahan, you don't have this model. It's a bad example. 

As is looking 20 years behind us when talking about the modern league. 

We are not a crappy team. That's the difference. We are in the same place these teams you keep mentioning decided to go for it and try to stop being mediocre. 

I don't root for the big losing season. I root for going for it, because mediocrity is a hell that gets harder and harder to get out of the more you stay in it. The Steelers, IMO, with Wilson are actively choosing mediocrity. 

If you don't think we have the building blocks now to take on a QB, personally, I don't think you ever will. There isn't much - if anything at all - that separates us from those Bills or Chiefs teams from a player perspective. 

When does "just build" turn into "go for it"? Because if it's waiting on the perfect roster we are gonna be waiting a while. The NFL isn't built to maintain that...at least Not For Long. 

To add on to your last point… the “build the team and then get your QB” applies to what the Texans just did. Start from ground zero, get your building blocks, and then get the QB.

When you look at our roster, it’s far from perfect, but almost ALL of the building blocks are there besides QB. Franchise LT, WR1, TE, two pass rushers, promising 2nd year D Lineman, lockdown corner, and an all pro safety to boot. How much more do you want to build the roster before we get serious about a QB?

LB, C, CB2, SS, RT (our current needs) are all the easiest positions to fill. 

That’s why I have been adamant, if a guy like Maye were to fall to 5, I think you get aggressive as hell to make a move up to go get him. I would give up 2024-2026 1st round picks plus a 2024 2nd (or DJ) and 2025 3rd to move up to 5 and take Maye if he falls like some have predicted.

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

My statement had noting to do with us right now.  I was commenting on why it worked for them.

Edited by warfelg

14 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

When you look at our roster, it’s far from perfect, but almost ALL of the building blocks are there besides QB. Franchise LT, WR1, TE, two pass rushers, promising 2nd year D Lineman, lockdown corner, and an all pro safety to boot. How much more do you want to build the roster before we get serious about a QB?

LB, C, CB2, SS, RT (our current needs) are all the easiest positions to fill. 

In regards to us, those key parts are there, but the upcoming needs are starting to become more premium asset parts.  WR2 next year, we need 2 more DL, that CB2 is a more premium pick too.  

Jumping from 20 -> 5 is really hard.  Like I pointed to earlier that’s 20, 84, 2025 1st, 2025 3rd roughly for pick 6.  Possibly even a 3rd 1st or another 2nd to make that extra push.  

I would say if you make the push this year, we need to attack FA in 2025 hard with the cap space available.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, warfelg said:

In regards to us, those key parts are there, but the upcoming needs are starting to become more premium asset parts.  WR2 next year, we need 2 more DL, that CB2 is a more premium pick too.  

Jumping from 20 -> 5 is really hard.  Like I pointed to earlier that’s 20, 84, 2025 1st, 2025 3rd roughly for pick 6.  Possibly even a 3rd 1st or another 2nd to make that extra push.  

I would say if you make the push this year, we need to attack FA in 2025 hard with the cap space available.

People don’t know under the cap the Steelers are next year….they can still

be aggressive this year in FA if they bump up the year 2 guarantees.

Just now, AFF said:

People don’t know under the cap the Steelers are next year….they can still

be aggressive this year in FA if they bump up the year 2 guarantees.

They could, and hopefully Khan keeps doing business differently to do so.  If they do that I would have more comfort in jumping up this year for a QB.  Would 100% spell the end of Kenny though (no hurt feeling there).

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, August4th said:

I think they'll eventually do the big trade up for a QB like  KC did for Mahomes, Buf for allen. SF for Lance etc..

The thing people often forget about Mahomes is that he was far from a blue chip prospect.   He obviously had nice tools, but he needed a good situation, and ultimately went to the best situation imaginable.

If we cant get a top tier talent at QB, we need to make this a better situation for an incoming QB.

• Like 2