State of the Steelers

warfelg

With the sale of Keenan Allen I would at least be inquiring about the availability of Justin Herbert…

The idea that Harbaugh wants to win with defense, rushing, and a guy available at 20 like JJ McCarthy isn’t far fetched…

3 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

With the sale of Keenan Allen I would at least be inquiring about the availability of Justin Herbert…

The idea that Harbaugh wants to win with defense, rushing, and a guy available at 20 like JJ McCarthy isn’t far fetched…

Im assuming this is tongue in cheek, because its beyond far fetched given that Herbert is a proven franchise QB in the NFL while McCarthy is not even close to a blue chip prospect....and that little matter of the $130m in dead cap theyd have to eat.

Even if they didn't have to worry about the money, I don't think Harbaugh is that stupid.

Now, if they didn't have Herbert at all, then it would be perfectly feasible.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, warfelg said:

You know what?   Any remote "sadness" I had about losing him is now totally gone.

Granted, it wasnt much, but he was a decent player (at times) who often got saddled down by awful QB play.

But the guy was also inconsistent as hell (regardless of QB play) and seemed to have a major attitude issues, despite the Steelers treating him pretty decent (he didnt really deserve the contract he got IMO).  

Well Dionte....You wanna be gone? Then be gone, and stay gone, or you be gone.   You lost all your Pittsburgh privileges'.   

Edited by 43M
  • Like 3

Not the safety signing I was anticipating especially with all the names out there 

Not a terrible price though, I would of kind of rather throw another mill or 2 though and just got someone with more upside (kurl) or more proven 

5 hours ago, 43M said:

I'm assuming this is tongue in cheek

Not at all! This is one of the worst rosters in the league with brand new leadership that's vacating all of it's skill position players and has built in the past on running and defense. 

Harbaugh just brought in Greg Roman, the only man who's dropback passing game can rival Matt Canada's in worth. When they were together in San Fran, their offense ranked 31st, 31st, 32nd, and 29th in passing attempts in their 4 seasons. Even Andrew Luck at Stanford lead heavy run first teams where Luck only had 6 games of 25 games with Harbaugh that he threw more than 30 times. McCarthy only had 4 such games in two years as a starter. 

So no, it's no far fetched to think that a new regime that didn't draft herbert, values rushing over passing, brought in an OC that doesn't offer a passing game, is in desperate need of an infusion of young talent, lost all 4 of their starting skill position players, and is staring down the barrel of a 5 win season and a top 10 pick.....might just be willing to get a haul for their lone good player and build it back up. 

Calling doesn't mean they answer or pull the trigger. But I would sure as hell be calling to find out. Don't know if it's possible with the money, but that doesn't mean that completing the tear down and getting a haul wouldn't make a lot of sense in their current state. 

7 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

Not at all! This is one of the worst rosters in the league with brand new leadership that's vacating all of it's skill position players and has built in the past on running and defense. 

Harbaugh just brought in Greg Roman, the only man who's dropback passing game can rival Matt Canada's in worth. When they were together in San Fran, their offense ranked 31st, 31st, 32nd, and 29th in passing attempts in their 4 seasons. Even Andrew Luck at Stanford lead heavy run first teams where Luck only had 6 games of 25 games with Harbaugh that he threw more than 30 times. McCarthy only had 4 such games in two years as a starter. 

So no, it's no far fetched to think that a new regime that didn't draft herbert, values rushing over passing, brought in an OC that doesn't offer a passing game, is in desperate need of an infusion of young talent, lost all 4 of their starting skill position players, and is staring down the barrel of a 5 win season and a top 10 pick.....might just be willing to get a haul for their lone good player and build it back up. 

Calling doesn't mean they answer or pull the trigger. But I would sure as hell be calling to find out. Don't know if it's possible with the money, but that doesn't mean that completing the tear down and getting a haul wouldn't make a lot of sense in their current state. 

IMO, if Jim's plan was to come back to the NFL to tare something down and rebuild it, there was plenty of other options to go with, especially if the QB position was what he wanted to do different.  Washington, Seattle, Atlanta, Raiders, Titans would all be better landing spots because they would have cap and the picks to make it work.

I think what he learned with SF and in Michigan is that you can change out all the other parts on the team very easily rebuild, quickly upgrade via the draft, find guys in FA.  QB is the one spot you can't really just change it out.  His best success has come with 2 good QB's in Luck and McCarthy and I think he doesn't want to go through that again.  

I think the idea with Greg Roman was lets take the weight of carrying the team off Herberts shoulders the way Staley put it on him by running the ball, asking Herbert to pull is 4-6 times a game, having him throw it 20-25 times a game, and make 2-3 plays a game outside structure a game.  I think that's going to be the best version of Herbert we've seen.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, warfelg said:

IMO, if Jim's plan was to come back to the NFL to tare something down and rebuild it, there was plenty of other options to go with, especially if the QB position was what he wanted to do different.  Washington, Seattle, Atlanta, Raiders, Titans would all be better landing spots because they would have cap and the picks to make it work.

I think what he learned with SF and in Michigan is that you can change out all the other parts on the team very easily rebuild, quickly upgrade via the draft, find guys in FA.  QB is the one spot you can't really just change it out.  His best success has come with 2 good QB's in Luck and McCarthy and I think he doesn't want to go through that again.  

I think the idea with Greg Roman was lets take the weight of carrying the team off Herberts shoulders the way Staley put it on him by running the ball, asking Herbert to pull is 4-6 times a game, having him throw it 20-25 times a game, and make 2-3 plays a game outside structure a game.  I think that's going to be the best version of Herbert we've seen.

I don’t disagree with you and think what you are saying is the highest percentage of reality. 

But I’m just saying this roster isn’t 1 year away from competing. So the opportunity to shortcut the rebuild by using Herbert as an incredibly valuable asset could be or become attractive. 

Anytime there is a regime change I think there’s an opportunity for the new coaches to find “their” guys. Considering his history, I think there’s a non-zero percent change they would listen. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

I don’t disagree with you and think what you are saying is the highest percentage of reality. 

But I’m just saying this roster isn’t 1 year away from competing. So the opportunity to shortcut the rebuild by using Herbert as an incredibly valuable asset could be or become attractive. 

Anytime there is a regime change I think there’s an opportunity for the new coaches to find “their” guys. Considering his history, I think there’s a non-zero percent change they would listen. 

I hear you.  I think it would be one of those call, they say something absurd like 5 1sts, and you go "can you blame me for trying". 

You can see my around the NFL thread for their potential draft.  Looking at their cap for 2025 they are going to have SO much space.  They had 4 of the top 10 cap his this year in Williams, Allen, Mack, and Bosa.  Getting rid of Williams and Allen was big, then redoing the Mack and Bosa contracts helped.  They have $111MM in space next year.  If Bosa has another injury riddled year cutting him, LInsley and Pipkins if they draft replacements puts them at $162.5MM in cap space in 2025.

They could have that space with Higgins, Josh Allen (JAC), Sneed, Martin, DJ, Josh Sweat, Waddle, Derrick Brown, Wirfs, Zavens Collins, Lamb, AJ Terrell, Justin Jefferson. God I could go on but that's a good offseason to have $150MM+ in cap to spend and what they could set in place with this draft.

Edited by warfelg

1 minute ago, VigilantZombie said:

Adams being brought back might be the one move I'm not thrilled about. My hope is that he is the backup this season he has no business starting over Benton.

That's not who Benton should be starting over.

giphy.gif

• Like 1

1 hour ago, warfelg said:

I hear you.  I think it would be one of those call, they say something absurd like 5 1sts, and you go "can you blame me for trying". 

You can see my around the NFL thread for their potential draft.  Looking at their cap for 2025 they are going to have SO much space.  They had 4 of the top 10 cap his this year in Williams, Allen, Mack, and Bosa.  Getting rid of Williams and Allen was big, then redoing the Mack and Bosa contracts helped.  They have $111MM in space next year.  If Bosa has another injury riddled year cutting him, LInsley and Pipkins if they draft replacements puts them at $162.5MM in cap space in 2025.

They could have that space with Higgins, Josh Allen (JAC), Sneed, Martin, DJ, Josh Sweat, Waddle, Derrick Brown, Wirfs, Zavens Collins, Lamb, AJ Terrell, Justin Jefferson. God I could go on but that's a good offseason to have $150MM+ in cap to spend and what they could set in place with this draft.

Again I don't disagree...but if they are picking in the top 5 next year and Harbaugh is starting at a QB of his choice in a draft that he could handpick and mold to his style of offense + 3 first round picks and some change... it's not absurd to think they could/would do that.