State of the Steelers

warfelg

1 minute ago, bigben07MVP said:

https://x.com/allbrightnfl/status/1768809697451110510?s=46&t=qcRuXjH2St1oLeP8Aph7Og

Allbright, who clearly has legit connections in the league, says he would not be surprised at all if Fields was traded to the Steelers after this week.

He usually does not comment on things unless he knows/has heard something. 

Also FWIW they get Caleb Williams medicals on 3/20 so it’s possible they have a deal worked out and are waiting for that date to pull the trigger. 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

https://x.com/allbrightnfl/status/1768809697451110510?s=46&t=qcRuXjH2St1oLeP8Aph7Og

Allbright, who clearly has legit connections in the league, says he would not be surprised at all if Fields was traded to the Steelers after this week.

He usually does not comment on things unless he knows/has heard something. 

It does not make sense but...

3 minutes ago, jebrick said:

Trade for fields and have him sit?

Not necessarily.  It's obvious, the team is going to make the decisions that make the most sense to them, or rather, give them the best chance to win.  I'd bring in Fields, and let him and Wilson compete.  I know Wilson has mentioned having another 5-7 years of football in him, and that's great for him, but he's signed for $1.2M.  Sure would be a nice problem to have, to have Fields on board, and regardless of what happens, we're not left with the only option to sign Wilson to an outrageous contract for his age 36 season and beyond, even at $25M, because I get the distinct impression that Wilson is not going to re-sign for less than that.

Otherwise, we bring Tannehill in cheap, or Dobbs, and as mentioned, draft a guy with promise. IF we are to believe the projection, someone like Sam Hartman, who is described as intelligent, with excellent pre-snap reads, with excellent touch, and ball placement.  His 'faulty' mechanics can be coached up.  His problem is he'll be 25 as a rookie, but heck, 25 is a lot younger than 35...and would be extremely inexpensive as well.  We also have time to wait on someone like Jordan Travis, as well...just some options I'm looking at.  Apparently, Michael Pratt is almost custom-made to run an Arthur Smith/RPO-type offense.  I'd rather go one of those three, then try to 'force' a Nix/Penix/McCarthy as a Rd 1 talent, like we did with Pickett.

I think, ultimately, bringing in Dobbs would be ideal, especially with Hartman, another cerebral player, even if not overlay athletic, but if they like Fields for us as our future, I wouldn't be upset...Russell, might be, but too bad.