State of the Steelers

warfelg

8 minutes ago, warfelg said:

I feel like this is the classic Family Guy meme.  A boat is a boat but the mystery box can be anything, even a boat!

If you didn’t catch on Ayiuk is the boat here.

I almost used that in my post

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, warfelg said:

I feel like this is the classic Family Guy meme.  A boat is a boat but the mystery box can be anything, even a boat!

If you didn’t catch on Ayiuk is the boat here.

I actually completely understand @jebrick POV…the draft class is stacked.

However I’m under the assumption that they’re going all in on a QB next year(or Fields is their guy)…I’m gonna make that QBs life easy as possible….and the $$$ isn’t a big deal to me…they’re more than fine cap wise.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, AFF said:

I actually completely understand @jebrick POV…the draft class is stacked.

However I’m under the assumption that they’re going all in on a QB next year(or Fields is their guy)…I’m gonna make that QBs life easy as possible….and the $$$ isn’t a big deal to me…they’re more than fine cap wise.

I’ll be honest that’s not even why I would be in favor of it.

Ayiuk would walk in day one to that room and be a leader for the WR’s, a guy who will trap someone and say “don’t do that, do this if you want to be successful”.  Say what you will about on the field fit, but that’s why Boyd makes sense along with the inside-outside ability, and you are still free to draft someone.

If you add a draft pick you don’t really have much of that in the room, especially if you don’t land Boyd.  You would have Pickens, Jefferson (bust so far), Austin (nothing so far), Callaway (an unknown).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, warfelg said:

I’ll be honest that’s not even why I would be in favor of it.

Ayiuk would walk in day one to that room and be a leader for the WR’s, a guy who will trap someone and say “don’t do that, do this if you want to be successful”.  Say what you will about on the field fit, but that’s why Boyd makes sense along with the inside-outside ability, and you are still free to draft someone.

If you add a draft pick you don’t really have much of that in the room, especially if you don’t land Boyd.  You would have Pickens, Jefferson (bust so far), Austin (nothing so far), Callaway (an unknown).

Aren't we tired of these 30 year old WRs wanting to play for the Steelers? If he wasn't from the state than I'm sure many fans wouldn't be talking him up. I want nothing to do with Tyler Boyd on the Steelers. Now that he's unwanted he's trying to butter up the team but was blasting the locker-room last season. PASS.

3 hours ago, jebrick said:

Why trade a 1st for Aiyuk when you can draft solid #1 or #2 WR?  If you are taking a 2nd and can get your RT or center in round one that is different but Aiyuk is not worth a #1 pick

I am usually not big on trading high picks for veteran WRs since they usually dont end up panning out (I know there are exceptions), but Aiyuk is just young enough and a great compliment to Pickens skillset.

Plus, we have no other proven WRs on this team.    If we kept Dionte, Id be more in favor of drafting one.   As it stands, we need another quality vet.

All that being said, I doubt we get him.   Jags seem to be the front runner.   In that case, sign a guy like Boyd and draft someone.

Edited by 43M
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, AFF said:

I think people might wanna start getting used to the idea of Dan Moore being in the starting lineup week 1 at LT and a rookie at center.

Run Russ run…for your life. Both are QBs were heavily sacked. A little worry there and with the above scenario,

1 hour ago, armsteeld said:

Aren't we tired of these 30 year old WRs wanting to play for the Steelers? If he wasn't from the state than I'm sure many fans wouldn't be talking him up. I want nothing to do with Tyler Boyd on the Steelers. Now that he's unwanted he's trying to butter up the team but was blasting the locker-room last season. PASS.

I really like Boyd, always have. He is a slot receiver. I think Smith’s offense is less likely to emphasize that specific position, based on what I read, so you might have a really good point about not going in that direction. 

2 minutes ago, AFF said:

I think people might wanna start getting used to the idea of Dan Moore being in the starting lineup week 1 at LT and a rookie at center.

I said that could be possible a few months ago.    Not so much because they like Dan Moore, but because its hard to fill so many holes in one offseason.

My hope is that they bring in SOMEONE to compete at RT, even if its not a high pick.    If they are better than Moore, Jones goes to LT.   If Moore is better, keep Moore at LT and Jones at RT this year.  But there NEEDS to be competition.

As stated, 4 of our top 5 picks will likely be some combo of WR, OT, C and CB.   However, we still MUST get another veteran WR and at least one more signing on OL or at CB.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

Makes a lot of sense. Big bodied WR with good speed and makes tough catches. Will be a nice tandem with Pickens if he signs. Some may think that they're too similar but Philip Rivers had a blast throwing deep to Mike Williams and the late Vincent Jackson.

williams would be good if he could stay on the field.  I don't see his market value on spotrac though, what do you expect?  10M per?

Aiyuk is the player to get but if he goes elsewhere, then thats it. spotrac has him on SF with a nice salary. Is there a chance SF trades him?

Could get M .Williams and Howard for about the same price as Diggs, Aiyuk etc, and not have to give up picks.  This UFA market is  as good as it has ever been, no need to really trade away picks IMO

How much does Khan have left to spend?