State of the Steelers

warfelg

4 minutes ago, armsteeld said:

Makes a lot of sense. Big bodied WR with good speed and makes tough catches. Will be a nice tandem with Pickens if he signs. Some may think that they're too similar but Philip Rivers had a blast throwing deep to Mike Williams and the late Vincent Jackson.

and with wilson's deep passing ability it should go well for the WR's.  I could see Williams and GP easily over 1000 yards.  Maybe Warren and Harris also get over a 1000 yards too if the OL is improved with a  new C and RT

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 43M said:

If Moore is better, keep Moore at LT

as much as I pulled for Moore, I saw a regression last year compared to the last half of the 22 season. Even if he gets a bit better, thats not enough at this stage. 

Lets hope they put Jones at LT and RD1 pick is  Fuaga or other RT .  They need to get the OL set to give the offence a chance. This offence was mostly trash the last few years vs decent to top tier defences. OL is a main reason IMO but canada and KP/mitch never helped either of course

2 hours ago, 43M said:

I said that could be possible a few months ago.    Not so much because they like Dan Moore, but because its hard to fill so many holes in one offseason.

My hope is that they bring in SOMEONE to compete at RT, even if its not a high pick.    If they are better than Moore, Jones goes to LT.   If Moore is better, keep Moore at LT and Jones at RT this year.  But there NEEDS to be competition.

As stated, 4 of our top 5 picks will likely be some combo of WR, OT, C and CB.   However, we still MUST get another veteran WR and at least one more signing on OL or at CB.

Oh trust me I don’t want him to start and I feel they should’ve been more aggressive regarding the OL.

Im just saying it’s lining up to be much more of a possibility then we as fans anticipated.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

and with wilson's deep passing ability it should go well for the WR's.  I could see Williams and GP easily over 1000 yards.  Maybe Warren and Harris also get over a 1000 yards too if the OL is improved with a  new C and RT

Only issue is how healthy he is since he's recovering from a torn ACL in 2023. Mike Williams and Rome Odunze are almost the same type of player. That's the type they'll likely target in the upcoming draft.

14 hours ago, AFF said:

Oh trust me I don’t want him to start and I feel they should’ve been more aggressive regarding the OL.

Im just saying it’s lining up to be much more of a possibility then we as fans anticipated.

I knew what you meant.   My point was that there are A LOT of other teams with OL issues and limited OLineman in free agency.  There weren't many OT options at all.   Center options were there, but A LOT of teams needed upgrades at center, especially after Kelce retired.

1 minute ago, 43M said:

I knew what you meant.   My point was that there are A LOT of other teams with OL issues and limited OLineman in free agency.  There weren't many OT options at all.   Center options were there, but A LOT of teams needed upgrades at center, especially after Kelce retired.

My thought is why cut Cole and then not sign a vet.

I know Cole sucked but why show your hand before the draft?

Maybe a deal didn’t get done that we haven’t heard about(besides Morse)

Maybe they’re waiting on Williams and slow playing it…I just don’t know.

Just now, AFF said:

My thought is why cut Cole and then not sign a vet.

I know Cole sucked but why show your hand before the draft?

Maybe a deal didn’t get done that we haven’t heard about(besides Morse)

Maybe they’re waiting on Williams and slow playing it…I just don’t know.

I don't necessarily disagree, but maybe they were just that low on Cole.

I thought they would have waited to get someone first, as well. 

I mean, Mason Cole IS still available....  :ph34r:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 43M said:

I don't necessarily disagree, but maybe they were just that low on Cole.

I thought they would have waited to get someone first, as well. 

I mean, Mason Cole IS still available....  :ph34r:

I have no problem with Cole as depth…or even as “competition” for said high center pick.

I mean it wouldn’t be terrible to resign him for say 1/$2 mill and say hey we’re gonna draft a guy and your gonna compete and go from there.

Really random thought but I would have no issue with getting a C that’s “worse” than a drafted guy and a RT but start the season with Moore at LT and Jones at RT for a singular reason: (It’s also why I don’t get upset thinking about JPJ starting the year on the bench)

The couple of times Tomlin had his hand forced at starting a rookie it hasn’t worked out all that well. Then he had time to develop the guy and let him earn the spot it’s worked out really well. 

I personally want to get Jones over to his expected ultimate position at LT as soon as able.  Problem is, Dan Moore supposedly cannot play RT worth a lick, so how about a bridge guy??  Would DJ Humphries cost too much?  Trenton Brown played RT for several seasons; wouldn't mind seeing him brought in.  OR apparently, they really like Dylan Cook, so why not see what we have in him at Starter at RT?

Also, Brian Allen, if healthy, should be a decent stop-gap OC.  

I hate to say it, but if Dan Moore can only play one position, and that position, is average at best, well, I don't see a bright future ahead for him.

I do agree, though, @warfelg - it's best not to force Tomlin's hand.  I mean, sure, if the rookie legitimately beats out a veteran starter at the position, then, by all means, let him start, but if Herbig is the best OC we have on the roster, well, that's not likely to be too difficult for the rookie to beat him out, but that doesn't mean he's ready to be a starter, if that makes any sense.