State of the Steelers

warfelg

2 hours ago, warfelg said:

I feel like he want's to work to land this big move before the next part kicks in.

I agree.  I think, before he spends anymore money, he wants to solidify this next big move, and then, maybe grab Brian Allen, etc.??

1 hour ago, warfelg said:

But also no leg movement at all. His leg looks like it hasn't recovered much size either. I have a feeling he'll miss at least half the season. We've got him locked up, though. We could have a really good ILB core(fingers freaking crossed) for awhile with Queen, Holcomb, and Roberts. 

26 minutes ago, Ward4HOF said:

I agree.  I think, before he spends anymore money, he wants to solidify this next big move, and then, maybe grab Brian Allen, etc.??

Yup, I think it informs him that if he does something like land Aiyuk, his money is locked up in that, his attention goes to build the rest through the draft and go from there.  If he doesn't and lands something else that might be lesser it's, ok let's fill out with these value guys to be top to bottom better. 

12 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

But also no leg movement at all. His leg looks like it hasn't recovered much size either. I have a feeling he'll miss at least half the season. We've got him locked up, though. We could have a really good ILB core(fingers freaking crossed) for awhile with Queen, Holcomb, and Roberts. 

Agreed, but not wearing a brace when doing a standing lift when you need to engage those muscles to take the load is a really good sign.

I'm just gonna propose a quick zag while everyone seems to be in unison zigging:

But the person on notice is Mike Tomlin. When the culture-setter's culture sucks? Well...

These are the types of people that it's been long since talked about Tomlin having the ability to control and maximize. Now we are shipping them for peanuts or less. Regaining control means control was lost. 

I am curious if we are going to see a more Year 1 Mike Tomlin style at camp (names on the helmet type stuff, vet players were not happy, harder days (within CBA allowance), etc) I think it would benefit us greatly to have a completely different vibe and feel to camp. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

I'm just gonna propose a quick zag while everyone seems to be in unison zigging:

But the person on notice is Mike Tomlin. When the culture-setter's culture sucks? Well...

These are the types of people that it's been long since talked about Tomlin having the ability to control and maximize. Now we are shipping them for peanuts or less. Regaining control means control was lost. 

I am curious if we are going to see a more Year 1 Mike Tomlin style at camp (names on the helmet type stuff, vet players were not happy, harder days (within CBA allowance), etc) I think it would benefit us greatly to have a completely different vibe and feel to camp. 

I am not a Tomlin apologist, by any means. I have wanted him gone multiple times in the last few years. I do like that the past prime players that wanted to be here with him  are slowly morphing to more high ceiling/in prime guys. I hope that this trend continues. Hate him as an on the field coach, though…he is often an absolute fool.

Edited by rlon

5 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

good points

maybe tomlin is on notice, but overall I think the message is that the FO won't tolerate divas anymore.

camps and practices should be improved as you bought up. If these players have it too easy, it doesn't help . 

27 minutes ago, rlon said:

I am not a Tomlin apologist, by any means. I have wanted him gone multiple times in the last few years. I do like that the past prime players that wanted to be here with him  are slowly morphing to more high ceiling/in prime guys. I hope that this trend continues. Hate him as an on the field coach, though…he is often an absolute fool.

he's human and makes his share of mistakes.. How many coaches are actually good anymore though? 

All I would ask as a fan is play the best players, get the best players and scheme to their strengths. Don't have players out of position unless injuries force that.  Get the team ready for a chenge in the playoffs and stop being shut out in the first quarter as bad as in the last 5 playoff games.

thats a start.

as it is, the FO is helping this team out a lot, we will see what tomlin does from there. 

so the longer the steelers can wait, the less Aiyuk would cost wrt compensation? 

How about  a player and then a pick? I can't see a mid round pick being high enough at all, but as they mentioned with Fields,  I thought  this trade might happen. 

Neal Coolong, who has worked for various outlets, believes the Steelers could potentially land Aiyuk for a mid round pick or two. The 49ers likely want a first round pick, but as with any trade, the longer there isn't a deal in place, the less the return will likely be. All you have to do is look at the return the Steelers sent to the Bears for Justin Fields

Do you think Khan will go after Aiyuk? Do you think he is a good fit in Pittsburgh? Click to comment below.

50 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

so the longer the steelers can wait, the less Aiyuk would cost wrt compensation? 

How about  a player and then a pick? I can't see a mid round pick being high enough at all, but as they mentioned with Fields,  I thought  this trade might happen. 

Neal Coolong, who has worked for various outlets, believes the Steelers could potentially land Aiyuk for a mid round pick or two. The 49ers likely want a first round pick, but as with any trade, the longer there isn't a deal in place, the less the return will likely be. All you have to do is look at the return the Steelers sent to the Bears for Justin Fields

Do you think Khan will go after Aiyuk? Do you think he is a good fit in Pittsburgh? Click to comment below.

I’d prefer Jefferson because there are two more seasons to his contract. An extension for either right away will be too much IMO.

8 minutes ago, rlon said:

I’d prefer Jefferson because there are two more seasons to his contract. An extension for either right away will be too much IMO.

we could have quite a bit of cap space next year, so consider that for any contracts to be, including JJ or Aiyuk

Saw two more receivers names pop up, don’t know how credible. McLaurin and Beckham…would not like the latter. McLaurin would obviously be a trade…I’d like him for a 3rd and a 6th. Signed through 2025, but his cap hit is an issue that last year. 

Edited by rlon
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, BradfordSteeler said:

https://steelersdepot.com/2024/03/mason-rudolph-posts-farewell-to-steelers-city-of-pittsburgh/

Got a hell of a lot more to be unhappy about compared to Kenny but his farewell messages knocks Kenny's out the park. Wish Mason the best of luck in the future.

Does he, though?

In fairness, we dont actually know the whole story and probably never will.   But what we DO know is the Steelers gave him numerous chances over the years to show he was the QBotF and couldn't really do it, and in 2023 his career in the NFL could have very well ended if the Steelers hadn't signed him after the draft and then gave him a chance to start late last season over Trubisky.

I agree his goodbye is absolutely better than Pickett's, but I think he should be pretty grateful.   If he didnt play at the end of 2023, there is a pretty hood chance he wouldn't have been signed AT ALL.    At best, he'd be another post draft competition signing, not an immediate backup to a guy who probably wont be much better than Pickett.

7 minutes ago, 43M said:

Does he, though?

In fairness, we dont actually know the whole story and probably never will.   But what we DO know is the Steelers gave him numerous chances over the years to show he was the QBotF and couldn't really do it, and in 2023 his career in the NFL could have very well ended if the Steelers hadn't signed him after the draft and then gave him a chance to start late last season over Trubisky.

I agree his goodbye is absolutely better than Pickett's, but I think he should be pretty grateful.   If he didnt play at the end of 2023, there is a pretty hood chance he wouldn't have been signed AT ALL.    At best, he'd be another post draft competition signing, not an immediate backup to a guy who probably wont be much better than Pickett.

I think he does, when Kenny was healthy and there wasn't a hot hand in place he basically got every start. Rudolph came in to a team without a QB coach, was thrust into starting at a moments notice when Ben went down and was dropped from the lineup fairly quickly (we could argue on whether that was justified or not, but I think it's fair to say that Kenny wouldn't have had the same treatment given the same circumstances). As you say we'll probably never know the full story about it, but I really don't think he was given the best chance to succeed here given how much he was apparently rated by the Steelers coming out of the draft.

I'm not saying he was treated badly per se, and as you say the run at the end of 2023 has earned him a hell of a lot more money than he would've done otherwise, but I do think he has more to have complaints/issues with than Kenny does.

22 minutes ago, BradfordSteeler said:

I think he does, when Kenny was healthy and there wasn't a hot hand in place he basically got every start. Rudolph came in to a team without a QB coach, was thrust into starting at a moments notice when Ben went down and was dropped from the lineup fairly quickly (we could argue on whether that was justified or not, but I think it's fair to say that Kenny wouldn't have had the same treatment given the same circumstances). As you say we'll probably never know the full story about it, but I really don't think he was given the best chance to succeed here given how much he was apparently rated by the Steelers coming out of the draft.

I'm not saying he was treated badly per se, and as you say the run at the end of 2023 has earned him a hell of a lot more money than he would've done otherwise, but I do think he has more to have complaints/issues with than Kenny does.

You make solid points, but I think there are a ton of "what if" cases in the NFL.   Could Mason and/or Kenny been better players under more favorable circumstances?   Maybe, and I suppose they still could,  but I dont think either were particularly good NFL prospects and I dont believe either were treated that unfairly.

One perk Mason had over Kenny is he was drafted behind a veteran when we still had a good OL.   Granted, Ben wasn't a particularly good mentor and was injured the year after Mason was drafted, but it waa a better situation than Kenny walked into.

Bottom line....its a very tough league to succeed in, especially at QB.   I dont think either were necessarily treated badly, but we probably weren't the best situation for either guy.   However, I believe Mason walked into a more favorable situation for success than Kenny did.