State of the Steelers

warfelg

I think by saying Daniels or Herbig would be our starting center this year it could screen how big of a need C is. Everyone knows we’ll be looking at C in the draft, but will we be looking in the 1st with the top tier with JPJ or Frazier or the second wave with someone like SVP? Now with literally no positioned starter in place, it pretty much signals we’re going to be angling for the top tier of prospects. If we’re going C in the draft, currently, we’ve got to get a day 1 starter. By signaling that Herbig or Daniels, or an outside FA like Brian Allen, we don’t necessarily have to get a day 1 starter in the draft. That’s my thoughts on the matter.

13 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I think by saying Daniels or Herbig would be our starting center this year it could screen how big of a need C is. Everyone knows we’ll be looking at C in the draft, but will we be looking in the 1st with the top tier with JPJ or Frazier or the second wave with someone like SVP? Now with literally no positioned starter in place, it pretty much signals we’re going to be angling for the top tier of prospects. If we’re going C in the draft, currently, we’ve got to get a day 1 starter. By signaling that Herbig or Daniels, or an outside FA like Brian Allen, we don’t necessarily have to get a day 1 starter in the draft. That’s my thoughts on the matter.

Thats the thing…they have nobody.

Not even a “stopgap” type starter of the Donte Jackson mold if you catch my drift.

They took care of QB/SS/ILB in FA….

They still have OC/WR/RT/DL youth/CB youth-slot)

Not trying to be a Debbie downer but im starting to go along with @Dcash4 and think what exactly was the plan this offseason besides getting rid of past mistakes?

• Like 1

Now, I want you to be completely honest.  If you were an NFL GM, and after seeing that Steelers brought in Mitch Morse for a visit, but failed to sign him, and then, top brass visited with JPJ, and have him coming in to visit, meeting with Van Pran, and Frazier, at the Combine, and other rumors of meeting with Barton, would you believe that they feel comfortable with our starting OC options?  Does anyone here doubt that we will select an OC, NLT pick 119, and/or sign Connor Williams, if healthy?  Even if they brought in Brian Allen, I wouldn't believe the Steelers are not interested in drafting a OC with one of our top 5 picks in the draft.

Maybe you do, and I'm 'over-confident' in my assessment, but I don't believe for a second, that there is a single NFL GM that may be also interested in drafting an OC, question one iota that the Steelers intend to draft an OC by early Day 3. 

Edited by Ward4HOF

I also am extremely confident, that the Steelers, within their first 5 draft picks, invest WR, OT, and DB as well.  That's 4 out of 5 picks, currently.  Now, if they 'invest' a pick by trading it, that also counts, if we trade for Aiyuk.  But I personally, have no doubt, that we will draft/sign as FA/trade for, those 4 positions, as possible future or current starting material.  If there was a way to bet on it, I likely would, and I don't gamble...like ever...of my 5 years in Japan, and the 3 1./2 years in Nevada, I've spent a grand total of $5 gambling; I played slots for about 20 minutes in the O Club on base.

But seriously, I think we can all count on those bringing in, from some outside source, at least one prospect/player, from those four positions. 

First time messing around with a mock simulator this offseason…

Traded #20 and #121 to Washington for #36 and #40

#36 - Zach Frazier, C West Virginia

#40 - Xavier Legette, WR South Carolina 

#51 - Braden Fiske, DL Florida State

#84 - Javon Bullard, Slot CB Georgia 

#98 - Blake Fisher, OT Notre Dame

Thoughts?

Edited by bigben07MVP
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

Traded #20 to Washington for #36 and #40

Thoughts?

I’d be fine with it…my biggest question is how Fiske fits…good players just not sure where he belongs

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

Traded #20 and #121 to Washington for #36 and #40

Thoughts?

I’ll echo the thought of @AFF about Fiske’s fit. That motor is a big selling point but his arms are really short. I like Frazier a lot. I like Legette a lot. I like Fisher a lot. I honestly don’t know much about Bullard, but I’ve heard good things. I’d be really happy if it shook out that way. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I’ll echo the thought of @AFF about Fiske’s fit. That motor is a big selling point but his arms are really short. I like Frazier a lot. I like Legette a lot. I like Fisher a lot. I honestly don’t know much about Bullard, but I’ve heard good things. I’d be really happy if it shook out that way. 

Fast Trex 

29 minutes ago, AFF said:

I’d be fine with it…my biggest question is how Fiske fits…good players just not sure where he belongs

Sometimes, even though a player is lacking in ideal measurements, 'we' might overlook that one detractor, because he defies the common belief.  On the opposite side, how many ideal measured prospects, come in and completely fail, because they are lazy, or have the wrong attitude, or heck, just keep getting injured.

It's the same reasoning I'm betting a lot of GMs are struggling with how/where to slate Jordan Morgan, the Arizona OT.  His arm-length is a mere, what, 32 7/8"??  He defies the commonly held belief that in order to be successful in the NFL, and OT must have at least 34" arms??  He showed he's a heck of a tackle, though, at the Senior Bowl, easily handing future top NFL talent with ideal arm lengths.

Or heck, look at Pickett.  He should have been one of the top fumbling QBs in the league, with those tiny little hands, but for the most part, he was fine, and that never became an issue (at least as far as I know).  Sure, it'd be better if he had at least 9 1/2" hands, but he was fine,  Same with Burrow...he's a top QB in the league (sadly), and has just 9" hands.

Fiske is a hot name right now, and I think GMs will largely overlook the shortish arms.  Some won't, I'm sure.  I just hope it's not Khan/Tomlin, that base too much weight on measurements.

Edited by Ward4HOF

1 hour ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Bullard is a poor man’s Brian Branch imo. I think he would be a great day 1 slot CB.

• Like 1

what do you all think of how the titans got sneed for a 3rd and swap of 5ths? 

seems like the biggest steal so far, too bad Khan never made this happen.

Edited by 3rivers
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, 3rivers said:

what do you all think of how the titans got sneed for a 3rd and swap of 5ths? 

seems like the biggest steal so far, too bad Khan never made this happen.

You don't know what his contract looks like yet.  Let's not jump the gun.