State of the Steelers

warfelg

15 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

I don't really think the idea is to move Washington.  He's someone that knows the offense and can help with it.  For sure Heyward competition.

41 minutes ago, warfelg said:

I don't really think the idea is to move Washington.  He's someone that knows the offense and can help with it.  For sure Heyward competition.

Was 100% joking about moving Washington. I figured they would bring in another blocking TE.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bigben07MVP said:

My guess is Artie Smith wants a guy who knows his system for camp. I’d give Heyward a large advantage for beating him out. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, August4th said:

they're definitely going to be moments were are offense looks bogged down and conjusted... I think the last 5 years has prepared us for that 

Other than the sarcastic answer of "all offense do that", I think I'm seeing some of the vision going on offensively.

And I think what we're seeing is an attempt in a way to recreate just a fraction of what existed from the Killer B's.  But instead of pass based, it's going to be run based.  2 headed monster at RB, a couple of WR's who can get deep, big armed QB, a TE who controls the seams, and a WR who can do some amazing things.

I dunno.  Maybe I've talked myself into it but I can see it.  I like this thought.  Force opposing defenses to defend the length of the field and the width at the same time.  I think too contested catch king Pickens works better if the lid is off the defense for him.  It helps both Harris and Warren because it's tougher to commit someone to the box.  

48 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Why does it feel like the “Smiths offense doesn’t really use WR2” and the “we haven’t done enough offensively” camp seem to be one and the same. 

Because it's two separate thoughts. 

We do not have a starting center. A guy with less than 50 snaps at the position across his 8 seasons of college and pro football likely isn't the answer. We haven't done enough to have that position filled. 

We currently employ the worst pass blocking LT who is keeping the guy we traded up for last year off his "nature position" (his words, not mine) and because of that transition we saw the RT be 55th out of 58th in that department. As of now, we have zero players on the roster that would allow Broderick to move back across the formation and it's heavily draft dependant on if he ever does. We haven't done enough to allow the better player snaps at his position. 

We do not have a starting NCB. We haven't done anything to fill the gap. 

For the WR2 comment, it's continually thrown around that we are going to target a WR in the first or that we are making a splash for a guy like Aiyuk. We willingly deleted the top depth that we had there and didn't replace it. So based on the above in terms of significant gains at open position; something has to give. WR2 not being a strong role in Arthur Smith's offense leads to a question on the necessity of the actual position upgrade. 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Other than the sarcastic answer of "all offense do that", I think I'm seeing some of the vision going on offensively.

And I think what we're seeing is an attempt in a way to recreate just a fraction of what existed from the Killer B's.  But instead of pass based, it's going to be run based.  2 headed monster at RB, a couple of WR's who can get deep, big armed QB, a TE who controls the seams, and a WR who can do some amazing things.

I dunno.  Maybe I've talked myself into it but I can see it.  I like this thought.  Force opposing defenses to defend the length of the field and the width at the same time.  I think too contested catch king Pickens works better if the lid is off the defense for him.  It helps both Harris and Warren because it's tougher to commit someone to the box.  

They’re 4 pieces away from doing the things you just talked about…and that’s not including decent depth at OL and outside WR.

3 minutes ago, AFF said:

They’re 4 pieces away from doing the things you just talked about…and that’s not including decent depth at OL and outside WR.

C, RT, and what?

Watkins and Austin offer the ability to take the top off, but yes I get that neither of them have proven the full ability to do it.  Pickens can be a really good chain moving WR, has shown he can, he needs to be much more consistent at it.  Freiermuth is a seam controlling TE, needs to stay healthy to keep that moving the right way.  My thought is that I can see what the vision is.  Of a run the ball offense that takes big shots downfield that opens up the other passing options.

FWIW I'm not saying that I think everything is perfect and ready to go.  Just I can see what the vision is.  I know we've got plenty of issues to still work through.  Plenty of spots to fill.  I'm not even going to care to defend that because it's not my opinion.  Just because someone thinks they understand what the vision is doesn't mean we think it's "good to go".

Personally I think that there's still options out there for some of these positions of need.  I posted this list yesterday of some players I think could be still potential signings, who while they don't 100% completely fix the issue at hand, they can at least short term gap you where you can play some at better positions or you can not force a pick not ready to play be out there.

S - Depth here is lacking - Justin Simmons, Quandre Diggs

CB - Depth here is lacking, CB3 non-existent, CB2 iffy - Stephon Gilmore, Xavien Howard, Adoree' Jackson, Avonte Maddox, Patrick Peterson (I think this is very likely), Levi Wallace, Fabian Moreau, Daryl Worley, Ahkello Witherspoon

OL - Needing at least 1 starter and 1 future guy - Connor Williams (this can make sense if Herbig is your place holder at C), Makhi Becton, Andre Dillard, Charles Leno

DL - Needs depth and a future - Teair Tart, Calais Campbell, Chris Wormley

WR - Still really lacking here - Tyler Boyd, Michael Gallup, Marquez Valdes-Scantling

Like I said, almost all of these guys are more short term covers than the long term answer for us, but I wouldn't mind many of them.  We're in that normal lull of the offseason post the FA wave, pre-draft, where not much happens.  Some of these guys are likely to sign after visits are over or after the draft.  Is it slim pickings? Absolutely.  But I do think that if you were to do one of those OL guys and 1 CB, you can push those two positions down in the draft some and push other needs up.

Where I am at with this off-season currently is that we are not prepared to draft for the long term. Even if a guy like Mason Cole was here I would feel better about the idea that they are going to take the best player available and not the best player at XYZ position. 

I did this experiment last year to see how many guys are on the roster past this season and I just did it again for this year (I am not sure it's worth sharing). But we have 1 cornerback on this roster in 2025 (Porter). One!!! It's great that Jackson is here and that Peterson might be back..but we need not just bodies at CB, but significant bodies moving forward. Without a starting center, without a starting NCB, with Broderick Jones out of position, with who knows what at WR -- are we in a position to take the best CB in the draft over some other position if they fall to us? 

You can say yes, but I am not sure we are. 

They could absolutely crush this draft. Land Mims at 20, JPJ/Frazier in the second, Sainristil in the third, and the top big body field stretcher at WR in the 4th...but it's asking for things to be perfect and if there is one thing I don't trust about the NFL it's being perfect. 

It feels like they are trying to thread a needle on the roster build, and maybe they do. But they created more mess than they solved IMO and now we might be stuck trying to improve our roster for 2024 instead of using the draft as a device to improve your future.