State of the Steelers

warfelg

19 minutes ago, rlon said:

I believe this, yes. They are going tackle round one, outside chance of CB or WR, but those are the 3 value positions at 20.

This is a question for you, but also everyone else. 

I'm assuming that everyone on here would rather take a OT in the 1st over a CB or WR. So how many OT's would have to get picked ahead of us before you'd want to take a CB or WR? If anyone would rather take a CB or WR, who would you like? 

36 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I'm assuming that everyone on here would rather take a OT in the 1st over a CB or WR. So how many OT's would have to get picked ahead of us before you'd want to take a CB or WR? If anyone would rather take a CB or WR, who would you like? 

5 tackles would have to be taken, 2 left tackles and 3 right tackles, for me to want CB or WR as it stands now at 1-20. CB I'd prefer Mitchell or possibly to drink the Kool Aid,...WR I'd likely lean towards Brian Thomas or Adonai Mitchell. To me, if the 5 tackles are gone, I think I'd pray for CB Mitchell. I am definitely shying away from a first round center, unless it is a trade down situation and the center is either Barton or JPJ. I wouldn't touch Frazier before 51. I am praying JPJ slides that far, and it's very possible. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

3-5 I think, But I also think there is a good haul of OTs in this draft worthy of a 1st round selection.

Joe Alt might be a Top 5 pick. 

Taliese Fuaga likely a Top 10-12 pick imo

Olumuyiwa Fashanu, J.C. Latham, Troy Fautanu, I think also could also go in the Top 15-20. 

If we go OT, Amarius Mims could be the best target. BUT he could replace of od those other guys in the Top 20. I don't think they all go before us though. I'd really like Fuaga or Mims.

Edited by VigilantZombie

3 hours ago, warfelg said:

Personally, I feel like that's what they did TBH. C/RT/DL/CB/WR are really deep in this draft.

I think it was a need either way.  And with Fields in house, I'm interesting in seeing how it plays out.  I don't feel like we were ever moving up this year even after Kenny wanted out.

The draft is going to be the most helpful.  It goes back but @43M and I were really against Colbert running that last offseason, and it was even worse to push to draft a QB.  IMO that's part of what we are correcting right now is we didn't create a great environment se we got the bridge QB that is allowing us to do that.

I guess this is where I think differently.  So far Khan has not restructured anyone, made any void years, or pushed off any money.  He's, so far, kept all the picks for 2025 as well.  To me that's part of it.

Like I've said a few times now, part of the reason I've felt calm about this is I always felt like a rebuild was going to take 2-3 offseasons.  We've got a good draft class in the door, cleaned the locker room, brought in some leadership type guys.  I like that start to it, I hope this years draft class is as good and is impactful to the level of last year.

So 2025 can come in with 2 strong draft classes, almost $100M in cap room, and assets to trade for a QBotF?  Hell yea I like that.

So you’re glad he’s only relying on the draft save for the Queen/QB deals/maybe Elliot deals to fill the holes on the team?

If Colbert did this, you’d be on here pounding the table saying they’re not being aggressive etc etc….and we’re happy he wasn’t dumb enough to add void years etc etc?

At this point, they’re just wasting 1 of Watts last prime years, a year of Minkah and Pickens/JPJ/Jones rookie contracts.

You can go out and get players and been fine cap wise with year 2 guarantees(due to the $100 mill in cap room they. Currently have) for 2025…and have the pieces already in place for your big trade up next year for the QB or Fields.

We’re just gonna have to agree to disagree and see if things change I guess.

56 minutes ago, AFF said:

So you’re glad he’s only relying on the draft save for the Queen/QB deals/maybe Elliot deals to fill the holes on the team?

I’m glad he’s building parts out of the draft. Yes. But again there’s still FAs out there that he can use to plug holes, it’s a lull time in FA. I’m more ok with seeing what happens in the draft before complaining about this offseason. 

59 minutes ago, AFF said:

If Colbert did this, you’d be on here pounding the table saying they’re not being aggressive etc etc….and we’re happy he wasn’t dumb enough to add void years etc etc

Wrong but ok. My issue with Colbert is he wouldn’t have signed Queen, kept Cole, Peterson, the QB situation and gone into the draft needing one spot in RD1, let everyone take players then do something like take Khyree in the 1st round. 

There’s a a difference to me as to what’s going on and if you don’t feel so then fine. 

1 hour ago, AFF said:

At this point, they’re just wasting 1 of Watts last prime years, a year of Minkah and Pickens/JPJ/Jones rookie contracts.

They wasted 3 years of Watt and Minkah previously for not having a post Ben plan. 

I really feel these statements if we don’t have much on the roster moving forward is more about those failings than Khan in a single offseason. 

1 hour ago, AFF said:

You can go out and get players and been fine cap wise with year 2 guarantees(due to the $100 mill in cap room they. Currently have) for 2025…and have the pieces already in place for your big trade up next year for the QB or Fields.

We just don’t do that with contracts. Watt is the only one to ever get it. They weren’t going to suddenly change that. 

1 hour ago, AFF said:

We’re three weeks into the offseason, three weeks from the draft, 3 months from the start of camp, with a team that’s in flux and needs a lot of work. 

I said it at the start of the offseason but there’s a lot of freaky Friday things going on here. I think some of it is unrealistic expectations of the offseason, some is thoughts that the team was better than it was, and some is just, plainly, irrational. 

18 hours ago, AFF said:

If Colbert did this, you’d be on here pounding the table saying they’re not being aggressive etc etc….and we’re happy he wasn’t dumb enough to add void years etc etc?

I get where youre coming from and even agree for the most part. but we are competing against alot of other teams for certain players services.

We were very aggressive at QB.

WR is one spot I am not sure what we are doing yet.  If we hadnt traded DJ, I wouldnt be quite as confused.

Our biggest OL holes were RT and C.    There were no great options at RT, and most of the better centers got scooped up quick.    Jason Kelce retiring hurt, because that meant one more team that needed one.

DL I expected to address mainly during the draft.   I thought MAYBE we might try to replace Larry O in free agency, but I am not shocked we didnt.

Secondary, I never expected a top end corner.    I thought we could bring back Wallace and draft another one....both of which are still options.

Colbert's problem was he was too predictable.   Every year, you knew the strategy, and he rarely deviated.    I can safely say this regime is anything BUT predictable.

I am not a big fan of the approach, but the more I look at it, the more I understand it.    We have seen numerous teams with too much money spend foolishly on players that do not deserve it.

You say we are wasting one of Watt's prime years.    Tell me....what moves could have made us instant contenders this year?

There was no realistic or smart approach that would have made us competitive with the best teams this year.     Making certain moves could have hurt the team more long term, and while I get this team is trying to win NOW as well....the smart approach is to build for the future more than building to win THIS year.    Outside of Russ returning to his mid 2010s self, or Justin Fields showing something he has never shown before....this team still needs a QB going forward.   

I wish we had gotten a WR before the draft, an OC and maybe another CB....but I am happy we didnt drastically overpay for anyone, either.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, 43M said:

Colbert's problem was he was too predictable.   Every year, you knew the strategy, and he rarely deviated.    I can safely say this regime is anything BUT predictable.

Amen to this statement.  For some of us that wanted something more than extend ok players, restructure the top 4 cap hits, add a few cheap FA's, and over drafting one player because you left yourself a single absolute starter need.

59 minutes ago, 43M said:

I get where youre coming from and even agree for the most part. but we are competing against alot of other teams for certain players services.

We were very aggressive at QB.

WR is one spot I am not sure what we are doing yet.  If we hadnt traded DJ, I wouldnt be quite as confused.

Our biggest OL holes were RT and C.    There were no great options at RT, and most of the better centers got scooped up quick.    Jason Kelce retiring hurt, because that meant one more team that needed one.

DL I expected to address mainly during the draft.   I thought MAYBE we might try to replace Larry O in free agency, but I am not shocked we didnt.

Secondary, I never expected a top end corner.    I thought we could bring back Wallace and draft another one....both of which are still options.

I am not a big fan of the approach, but the more I look at it, the more I understand it.    We have seen numerous teams with too much money spend foolishly on players that do not deserve it.

You say we are wasting one of Watt's prime years.    Tell me....what moves could have made us instant contenders this year?

There was no realistic or smart approach that would have made us competitive with the best teams this year.     Making certain moves could have hurt the team more long term, and while I get this team is trying to win NOW as well....the smart approach is to build for the future more than building to win THIS year.    Outside of Russ returning to his mid 2010s self, or Justin Fields showing something he has never shown before....this team still needs a QB going forward.   

I wish we had gotten a WR before the draft, an OC and maybe another CB....but I am happy we didnt drastically overpay for anyone, either.

I didn’t say overpay for multiple people or that they should go for it this year.

Im just saying why can’t they add pieces that will help them for years instead of waiting til next year when you’re either having Fields be the starter or a young guy you trade the farm for.

That’s all I’m saying and yet people don’t seem to understand that.

1 minute ago, AFF said:

I didn’t say overpay for multiple people or that they should go for it this year. 

Im just saying why can’t they add pieces that will help them for years instead of waiting til next year when you’re either having Fields be the starter or a young guy you trade the farm for.

That’s all I’m saying and yet people don’t seem to understand that.

Bottom line....there are limited opportunities to make big moves, and some teams resort to overspending on lesser players after missing out on bigger names, and Im happy we didn't.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, 43M said:

Bottom line....there are limited opportunities to make big moves, and some teams resort to overspending on lesser players after missing out on bigger names, and Im happy we didn't.

I’m not accusing @AFF of this I’m about to say, the the mood in general feels like this:

For years some (me a big part) wanted us to be able to spend in FA, and the pushback was “FA is other teams trash” and “we draft so good we don’t need FA”. 

Now it feels the same crowd is part of the “we need to spend in FA” and “ we have no direction without spending.” 

Truth is somewhere in the middle like usual. Not all FAs are trash, but you don’t just spend all your space. We have space because we haven’t drafted well as of late and don’t have as much space because we don’t need to keep them. 

What I always like about the way the Eagles and Ravens have operated as of late is they always have the space to make a splash signing or two (Henry/Huff) but they also draft well enough that when some guys depart, they don’t freak out over it (Queen/Kelce). I feel like early in Colbert’s career that’s what we were (and these teams have said the modeled their structure after), but we’ve lost that way. I think, that’s where we are trancing back to. 

Like I said earlier, if after this season we can feel like 3 core parts of the OL, 1-2 WRs are locked in, 1-2 CBs are locked in,  2 DL, and ILB is settled after 2 offseasons we should be happy. Heck going into last draft if you told me we had LTotF, CB1, and IDL1 - I would say you were full of crap. 

1 hour ago, 43M said:

I’m not saying they shoulda went out and got all 3 of Christian Wilkins/Sneed/Aiyuk.

But for example…Queens deal is 3/$41 mill with cap hits of roughly 6/17/17.

His cap hit is actually higher in 2025 than Edmunds who signed that massive deal with the Bears a year ago for ILB.

But he’s young and they can get out of the deal reasonably well even after the 2024 season.

They could’ve went out and got guys that can help move the team forward and make easier for Fields/QB of future.

Now you can’t get all age 26 guys on al reasonable deals but let’s look at mid tier guys.

These are kinda like the Daniels and Seumalo signings of the past 2 years.

You coulda went and got a solid #2 CB like Kendall Fuller for 2/$15 mill(of course a void year was added but still)…now you don’t have to trade DJ for a guy that was probably getting cut and you solved CB2 for 2 seasons.

Now they’re walking into the draft with an obvious huge hole at WR2 and they didn’t do anything for the OL(even though I was counting on 1 high OL pick regardless.)

Maybe they sign a few guys after the draft….say Charles Leno for OT or a healthy Connor Williams for center, then I will gladly change my mind.

However at this point the offseason just seems to be…

-Getting rid of bad personalities/locker room cancers

-Signing placeholder QB/cheap gamble at QB

-1 medium level splash in Queen

-some depth pieces.

No long term pieces added(proven) especially on the offensive side of the ball

• Like 1

4 hours ago, warfelg said:

I don’t feel like you could understate how big of an impact this can have. 

?

They did fine replacing Pickett…but they haven’t replaced DJ.