State of the Steelers

warfelg

If the people that were let go aren't being viewed as viable options (not just here, but anywhere), is it really creating a hole when they are cut/traded?

No other team is rushing out to sign these guys, so maybe they aren't roster worthy.

Chuks/Cole/Robinson are all offensive players and it is very natural to move on from these guys when you switch offensive coordinators. For the record, Robinson not only did nothing of note last year already, but they brought in Quez Watkins. All of the roster spots can probably be filled with people off the street.

They lost Peterson on defense, but are better off at S than last year to counter the NB.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, skywlker32 said:

No other team is rushing out to sign these guys, so maybe they aren't roster worthy.

Yup.  So IMO, at worst you created a DEPTH problem, not a HOLE problem.  At best you removed players that were a problem to your program and the depth/hole doesn’t matter because of the addition by subtraction.

Genuinely frustrating at this point because you all keep using the word "hole", but are just complaining about the means in which it became that. When you had a player that could have started for you, remove them, and then no longer have a suitable player that could start for you at that same position...I call that creating a hole because your actions did it. Call it whatever you want. I'm far more worried about the inaction to make the roster better at those positions. 

This roster has starting position holes. We did not do enough to fill it as of now. We are heading into the draft needing to fill starting positions. 

Good business model: yes or no?

36 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

Genuinely frustrating at this point because you all keep using the word "hole", but are just complaining about the means in which it became that. When you had a player that could have started for you, remove them, and then no longer have a suitable player that could start for you at that same position...I call that creating a hole because your actions did it. Call it whatever you want. I'm far more worried about the inaction to make the roster better at those positions. 

This roster has starting position holes. We did not do enough to fill it as of now. We are heading into the draft needing to fill starting positions. 

Good business model: yes or no?

They didn't create the holes, the holes were already there. Those players were not starting quality.

• Like 3

https://x.com/asaunders_pgh/status/1778151751792693377?s=46&t=qcRuXjH2St1oLeP8Aph7Og

I love this recommendation from Alan Saunders to trade for Tyler Lockett. Would have to be post July 1 due to cap reasons but he would only cost us 4.67 million this year and he is signed through 2025. Since the trade would be after the draft it would have to obviously be a 2025 pick (maybe a 2025 5th would get it done?). Has a rapport with Russ and I think he still has plenty left to offer as a WR2 even at age 31. Guy never lets himself get tackled anymore so I bet that will help him age more gracefully than your typical WR.

This type of deal has Omar Kahn written all over it if you ask me. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bigben07MVP said:

https://x.com/asaunders_pgh/status/1778151751792693377?s=46&t=qcRuXjH2St1oLeP8Aph7Og

I love this recommendation from Alan Saunders to trade for Tyler Lockett. Would have to be post July 1 due to cap reasons but he would only cost us 4.67 million this year and he is signed through 2025. Since the trade would be after the draft it would have to obviously be a 2025 pick (maybe a 2025 5th would get it done?). Has a rapport with Russ and I think he still has plenty left to offer as a WR2 even at age 31. Guy never lets himself get tackled anymore so I bet that will help him age more gracefully than your typical WR.

This type of deal has Omar Kahn written all over it if you ask me. 

I wouldn’t have thought about Lockett. He’d be pretty interesting. Especially at such a low price.

24 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I wouldn’t have thought about Lockett. He’d be pretty interesting. Especially at such a low price.

This is also an example of why I’m not overreacting yet. We pull off one move like this and all of a sudden you can address OT, C, CB, and DL with our four Day 1/Day 2 picks and we’re not in such bad shape. 

Edited by bigben07MVP
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

This is also an example of why I’m not overreacting yet. We pull off one move like this and all of a sudden you can address OT, C, CB, and DL with our four Day 1/Day 2 picks and weren’t not in such bad shape. 

100%. And look around the nfl. How many major moves are really happening? Not many. Heck even the Diggs trade now looks like a round boost on a comp pick for a player. Every year you have FA waive one be big and done in a week, waive two is small, then there’s basically a dead month as pro-days, visits, and pre-draft prep is going on. Then teams get active as picks move, teams get guys they didn’t think they could, teams move up in the draft then move someone else to get value back. We’re just in that dead time. I’d be more worried if we were a week from camp with these issues. 

27 minutes ago, warfelg said:

0% credible. 

I'm fairly new to twitter and am realizing fancy pics/posts with known reporters names attached mean nothing. That's happened twice now in two weeks. I saw the Shefter name on it not realizing it was someone else. I'd appreciate it someone could forward me some credible resources as this is annoying. 

5 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

I'm fairly new to twitter and am realizing fancy pics/posts with known reporters names attached mean nothing. That's happened twice now in two weeks. I saw the Shefter name on it not realizing it was someone else. I'd appreciate it someone could forward me some credible resources as this is annoying. 

First thing I would say is make sure the handle is correct.  People can put anything they want for their name, so someone might do something like name themselves “Jay Glazer” and then spell it “@JayGayzer” or “@JayG1aser” so it’s close enough to confuse you.

Start with following the Steelers, NFLNetwork, NFLPA, and a few players.  They often comment and link to those credible ones.

Some good follows who will post breaking news in real time:

@TomPelissero

@GeoffSchwartz is good for just understanding but not insider info

@RossTuckerNFL is similar to Schwartz but kinder

@PShrags

@FieldYates

@caplanNFL - more Eagles based lately but still good

@AlbertBreer

@nfldraftscout

@buckybrooks

@movethesticks

@RapSheet

@MikeGarafolo

You can kinda take it from there based on who they are interacting with.

• Like 2