State of the Steelers

warfelg

45 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

https://x.com/steelersdepot/status/1778429319741857957?s=46&t=qcRuXjH2St1oLeP8Aph7Og

Matt Miller basically guarantees Steelers go OL in round 1. I agree. 

I think we're all pretty much in agreement. I'd rather not reach for a guy like Guyton at 20, though. I'm hopeful for Mims, Latham, or maybe Barton. If we miss out on the "premium" OT prospects(my opinion at least), I hope we trade back and get someone like Frazier in the late 1st. 

26 minutes ago, warfelg said:

That's pretty wild

6 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I think we're all pretty much in agreement. I'd rather not reach for a guy like Guyton at 20, though. I'm hopeful for Mims, Latham, or maybe Barton. If we miss out on the "premium" OT prospects(my opinion at least), I hope we trade back and get someone like Frazier in the late 1st. 

That's pretty wild

Frazier will be there in the second. In fact ESPN just dropped their sim and it’s really cool. Tells you the chances they will be there and chances they last to the next pick. I was able to take Frazier at 60 and he has a 60% change of being there. 

20 Troy Fautnau OT 45% chance

60 Zach Frazier C 59% chance

84 Mike Sainristil CB 35% chance

98 Brenden Rice WR 65% chance

119 Spencer Rattler QB 52% chance

133 MJ Devonshire CB 89% chance

178 Curtis Jacobs LB 37% chance

195 Jalen Coker WR 84% chance

https://espnanalytics.com/draft-sim/

Trades aren’t offered but you can make them. 

6 minutes ago, warfelg said:

I kind of already figured Friermuth and maybe even Washington would have expanded roles in the pass game next year.  

We still need to add at least one more decent WR, though.   If Pickens went down, we'd have nothing.

12 minutes ago, 43M said:

I kind of already figured Friermuth and maybe even Washington would have expanded roles in the pass game next year.  

We still need to add at least one more decent WR, though.   If Pickens went down, we'd have nothing.

Agreed. But it’s an interesting thought. If you are running the ball a ton, you best asset is the TE in the passing game because they are the ones run game will open space for. Effectively they are the second most important member of the pass game. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 43M said:

That’s why I’m high on a guy like Polk on day 2. He’s not an elite athlete or separator but he’s savvy, tough as hell, can block, and do all the little things at a high level. We don’t necessarily need a high volume guy at WR2. Think Robert Woods. 

And I love the idea of Washington being more involved in the pass game. He has the potential to be a mismatch nightmare and he’s a tank after the catch. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Yea, I don't think this should be a surprise to anyone really. We will likely have at least 2 TEs on the field most of the time based on his history of his offense. One TE will be in-line (likely Washington) and one will be a "move" TE (Friermuth). The move TE is effectively then our slot WR. We will still need a reliable number 2 that will likely rotate with a H-back type (Heyward/Pruitt).

5 minutes ago, skywlker32 said:

Yea, I don't think this should be a surprise to anyone really. We will likely have at least 2 TEs on the field most of the time based on his history of his offense. One TE will be in-line (likely Washington) and one will be a "move" TE (Friermuth). The move TE is effectively then our slot WR. We will still need a reliable number 2 that will likely rotate with a H-back type (Heyward/Pruitt).

I'm assuming you mean Number 2 TE, which is Washington.  If you mean WR2 - I feel like what's being alluded to is WR2 isn't that important because your move TE, in this case Muth, is effectively your WR2 in terms of role but not where he lines up.

6 minutes ago, warfelg said:

I'm assuming you mean Number 2 TE, which is Washington.  If you mean WR2 - I feel like what's being alluded to is WR2 isn't that important because your move TE, in this case Muth, is effectively your WR2 in terms of role but not where he lines up.

I would think we will run a decent bit of 2TE, 2WR, single back sets, so we would still need someone at WR2 that can contribute.

3 minutes ago, skywlker32 said:

I would think we will run a decent bit of 2TE, 2WR, single back sets, so we would still need someone at WR2 that can contribute.

So I feel like that’s the point of the article. Don’t expect the WR2 classic production to come from a WR. It will be a TE (Muth) while the WR2 gives you more classic slot production. Which if that’s the plan then Jefferson/Watkins/Rookie can give you that easily. 

15 minutes ago, warfelg said:

So I feel like that’s the point of the article. Don’t expect the WR2 classic production to come from a WR. It will be a TE (Muth) while the WR2 gives you more classic slot production. Which if that’s the plan then Jefferson/Watkins/Rookie can give you that easily. 

Same page, "can contribute" just means someone filling a #3/#4 receiving threat role.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Are you suggesting we do not need to add another WR?

6 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

Are you suggesting we do not need to add another WR?

No - if you look at that grouping I do have rookie listed in there. More suggesting no matter who WR2 is Muth may end up with better stats than them because the offensive priority for touches by group will go RB, WR1, TE1, TE2, WR2