State of the Steelers

warfelg

1 hour ago, August4th said:

pick swap in the the first and the eagles pick we got for Kenny could do it

I don't think that would quite do it...but...I like your thinking.  As I've mentioned in the past, I'm not a fan of trading away our 1st Rd pick for Aiyuk. As good as he is, and as good as he'd fit in our 'potential' offensive system, he's looking for $30M/yr, and I'm sorry, he's not the best WR in the league, so paying him like he is, and after trading away our 1st Rd pick, and thus, having to restructure Highsmith, and Fitz, kicking more money down the road, is just not a wise proposition for us, IMO.

So, if we are he!!-bound on trading for Aiyuk, how about we trade our 3.84, plus some pick swaps...

1.20 for 1.31 = 250 (Trade Chart) points

2.51 for 2.63 = 114 pts

3.84 OR 2025 2nd Rd pick = 170 (or similar, if following the 1 Round down grade for future picks)

3.98 for 4.124 = 60 pts

All together, that's 594 pts, which is nearly equivalent to 1.31, so technically, a 1st Rd pick. But they also throw in their 7.251 (1 pt), if we trade our this years 3rd instead of 2025 2nd. 

That still leaves us 1.31 + 2.63 +(3.84, if trading 2025 2nd) 4.119 + 4.124 + 6.178 + 6.195 (+ 7.251 if trading 3.84)

Not great, but a heck of a lot better than no 1st at all.

That technically gives them their 1st Rd pick demand.  Yes, that's a convoluted trade scenario, but it's just an example on how we can get away with not trading out of the 1st altogether.

1 hour ago, Ward4HOF said:

As good as he is, and as good as he'd fit in our 'potential' offensive system, he's looking for $30M/yr, and I'm sorry, he's not the best WR in the league, so paying him like he is

It’s a spot where I’ll give @Dcash4 for changing my opinion:

Who cares. In another year when JJ gets his, Higgins hits the market potentially, Chase, Smith, WaddleGarrett Wilson, Pickens would all be in line for new contracts or extension. Doesn’t matter if you reset the market, you just don’t want to be the last one to do it. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Who cares. In another year when JJ gets his, Higgins hits the market potentially, Chase, Smith, WaddleGarrett Wilson, Pickens would all be in line for new contracts or extension. Doesn’t matter if you reset the market, you just don’t want to be the last one to do it. 

Exactly…the Steelers are set to able to give about 2-3 those type of deals if they’re want to.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bigben07MVP said:

All I’ll say is if we do trade for Aiyuk we better see a philosophy change from Arthur Smith and air the ball out. It would be a waste to trade for him and hand the ball off to Najee and Warren 30 times a game. 

We could run a lot of interchangeable 12. We don’t need a FB as we could motion a TE into the backfield if we needed. We’d probably need a better blocking #3/#4 TE. 

5 hours ago, warfelg said:

We would be the last one...for a year...which, in essence, is the last one to do it, because next year, most highest contracts will be reset, as you say.  No one is ever the 'last one to do it'; only the last one to do it per off-season, which, in this case, would be us.  So paying him for a year, as the highest paid, non-best WR, while having to restructure two contracts, and pay, at least one Starting QB, starter money next year, well, say goodbye to Pickens...

So, I care, to a point, unless they find a way to ensure that the Future Guaranteed Money is lower, because that's all that matters, anyway...

5 hours ago, bigben07MVP said:

All I’ll say is if we do trade for Aiyuk we better see a philosophy change from Arthur Smith and air the ball out. It would be a waste to trade for him and hand the ball off to Najee and Warren 30 times a game. 

Exactly right.  Only so many mouths to feed, and as @warfelg noted in a previous post, there's a good chance our 2nd highest producing receiver will likely be a TE anyway...

If we bring in Aiyuk, we could also trade Pickens next year for a haul. We’ve been developing and shipping WRs for awhile. We got a 2nd for Claypool, who didn’t show nearly as much WR talent as Pickens has. We can draft another WR with the Pickens pick and continue the cycle. I know it’s dumb to look that far off, but it is called footballsfuture after all. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

If we bring in Aiyuk, we could also trade Pickens next year for a haul. We’ve been developing and shipping WRs for awhile. We got a 2nd for Claypool, who didn’t show nearly as much WR talent as Pickens has. We can draft another WR with the Pickens pick and continue the cycle. I know it’s dumb to look that far off, but it is called footballsfuture after all. 

But I would also toss this one out there: Trading for Aiyuk could allow us to pay Pickens and give up lots of picks for a rookie QB if needed, especially if the remaining picks go to OL/CB.