State of the Steelers

warfelg

10 hours ago, Chieferific said:

I have zero confidence in either one of those guys at Safety and a healthy Holcombe is upgradable. No doubt DL depth/future Heyward replacement is a major need. 

You don’t like Elliott? I was pleasantly surprised by the signing.

35 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

Not really. An improvement but doesn't move the needle for me much. 

He’s the plus version of Edmunds. He can be the Clark to Fitz’s Troy. 

9 minutes ago, warfelg said:

He’s the plus version of Edmunds. He can be the Clark to Fitz’s Troy. 

That's quite the accolade. I hope that's the case. I was a fan of his when he came out. I don't feel like his Pro career has been all that productive. Though I know he played FS a bit as well which could have impacted his stats as a tackler.  

1 hour ago, Chieferific said:

That's quite the accolade. I hope that's the case. I was a fan of his when he came out. I don't feel like his Pro career has been all that productive. Though I know he played FS a bit as well which could have impacted his stats as a tackler.  

Well. He was finally used right in Miami as a box safety with coverage skills. That’s what Edmunds is. Elliott is the plus version of that. Minkah is so good as a COF FS I don’t love the idea of him in cover-2 because that means you can avoid his zone easily. 

18 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Well. He was finally used right in Miami as a box safety with coverage skills. That’s what Edmunds is. Elliott is the plus version of that. Minkah is so good as a COF FS I don’t love the idea of him in cover-2 because that means you can avoid his zone easily. 

If he was used right, the results weren't that great. Statistically speaking anyway.  I see 52 tackles, 1 int and 7 PDs.  He did miss 2 games so that skews the data a little. His stats are very Edmunds-eske. I want more. I'm hopeful he makes the impact you envision but I'm not as optimistic. 

33 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

If he was used right, the results weren't that great. Statistically speaking anyway.  I see 52 tackles, 1 int and 7 PDs.  He did miss 2 games so that skews the data a little. His stats are very Edmunds-eske. I want more. I'm hopeful he makes the impact you envision but I'm not as optimistic. 

He may not be an all pro, but I would say safety is far from a hole or big need.   Not to mention this draft class doesn’t have much star power at safety. Not that I would want that much invested at the safety position either.

If a top 5 OT is there you have to take them.  There is too much value to pass up when players of their caliber generally go in the top 10-15 picks.  There would to have to be run on OT and CB to warrant a trade down.  And I think you need to be fairly certain a Mims, Barton, or Wiggins is going to be there when you do trade back. While this class is deep, I personally think there is a steep drop off in talent after pick 23-24.

With all that said I wouldn’t t be surprised to see them take Barton at 20. In that case I would certainly be mad about not trading back.

4 minutes ago, Blitzburgh said:

With all that said I wouldn’t t be surprised to see them take Barton at 20. In that case I would certainly be mad about not trading back.

I worry a bit about Barton at OC, tbh.  He's essentially 6 ft 5 1/2" tall, which, to me, going to potentially cause issues in drive run blocking.  Also, and this may sound silly, but we are starting a 5'11" QB, so let's put a taller than average Center directly in front of him??

And why are his 32 7/8" arms too short to be an OT, yet Morgan, who's almost 1/2" shorter in height, with the same 32 7/8" length arms, okay to stay at OT??  It's obviously a 'thing', because no one is trying to make Morgan push inside to OC.  I just simply do not understand

Also, as we are nearing the draft, I'm starting to 'sour' on taking a Center in the 1st.  We rarely have an opportunity to draft a blue-chip OT; last year was an aberration, not the norm, and as this year is stacked with no less than six 'blue chip' OT prospects, I'm really hoping they are leaning in that direction.  It all simply boils down, to me, to rather have 2 'blue chip' OTs, and a serviceable OC, like Nourzad, SVP, McCormick, even or maybe even JPJ or Frazier, might slip to 2.51, rather than pull the trigger on Barton (as an OC, if they like him at RT, then great), then end up with a serviceable RT, like Fisher, or Paul, when we could have had Mims, or Latham...

Barton as an OC at 20 wouldn't be the worst pick, but I certainly wouldn't feel like we got the most 'bang for our buck' in value at that draft slot.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ward4HOF said:

I worry a bit about Barton at OC, tbh.  He's essentially 6 ft 5 1/2" tall, which, to me, going to potentially cause issues in drive run blocking.  Also, and this may sound silly, but we are starting a 5'11" QB, so let's put a taller than average Center directly in front of him??

And why are his 32 7/8" arms too short to be an OT, yet Morgan, who's almost 1/2" shorter in height, with the same 32 7/8" length arms, okay to stay at OT??  It's obviously a 'thing', because no one is trying to make Morgan push inside to OC.  I just simply do not understand

Also, as we are nearing the draft, I'm starting to 'sour' on taking a Center in the 1st.  We rarely have an opportunity to draft a blue-chip OT; last year was an aberration, not the norm, and as this year is stacked with no less than six 'blue chip' OT prospects, I'm really hoping they are leaning in that direction.  It all simply boils down, to me, to rather have 2 'blue chip' OTs, and a serviceable OC, like Nourzad, SVP, McCormick, even or maybe even JPJ or Frazier, might slip to 2.51, rather than pull the trigger on Barton (as an OC, if they like him at RT, then great), then end up with a serviceable RT, like Fisher, or Paul, when we could have had Mims, or Latham...

Barton as an OC at 20 wouldn't be the worst pick, but I certainly wouldn't feel like we got the most 'bang for our buck' in value at that draft slot.

Agreed.   Not a huge fan of Barton at 20.    Id rather see us trade up again for another OT than stay at 20 and take C.   Now, if we trade DOWN and pick up at least an extra 3rd, I could live with Barton in the late 20s or early 30s.

But as you said, it wouldn't necessarily be a bad pick.   Just underwhelming.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ward4HOF said:

Also, and this may sound silly, but we are starting a 5'11" QB, so let's put a taller than average Center directly in front of him??

Just to quickly touch on this...I don't think we should be considering Wilson when building this offense.   I think he is one and done in Pittsburgh.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, 43M said:

Just to quickly touch on this...I don't think we should be considering Wilson when building this offense.   I think he is one and done in Pittsburgh.  

I hope you are right...Let's not go down the road of hanging on to a geriatric QB for 2-3 years beyond his prime.  $1.2M??  Great, let's do it.  After that??  Not so much...especially if we end up losing Fields, or the opportunity for a better, younger QB to develop, in the process.

6 hours ago, 43M said:

Agreed.   Not a huge fan of Barton at 20.    Id rather see us trade up again for another OT than stay at 20 and take C.   Now, if we trade DOWN and pick up at least an extra 3rd, I could live with Barton in the late 20s or early 30s.

But as you said, it wouldn't necessarily be a bad pick.   Just underwhelming.

Trading up for an OT would be a mistake imo. Too many holes to fill and there will almost certainly be one of the premier ones available at 20. 

54 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

Trading up for an OT would be a mistake imo. Too many holes to fill and there will almost certainly be one of the premier ones available at 20. 

Almost as bad as the recent trend of trading up in Rd2 for a C. 

22 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Almost as bad as the recent trend of trading up in Rd2 for a C. 

I think that’s fine if we trade back in the 1st. I see why people are advocating for that. There is a huge drop off at C after Barton, Frazier and JPJ. 

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

I think that’s fine if we trade back in the 1st. I see why people are advocating for that. There is a huge drop off at C after Barton, Frazier and JPJ. 

There isn't a super huge gap.  And no, a lot of it is pick OT at 20, move into the late 30's for a C.

Additionally there's a growing noise that Frazier and JPJ will be available at 51.  You are seeing in real time what happens when draftniks realize that teams think MUCH differently about the players and class than they do.  The top guys aren't perfect and have flaws, as does right behind them.  The difference is Day 1 starter vs Growing Pains. This is the opposite of the last minute risers.

Edited by warfelg
  • Like 1