State of the Steelers

warfelg

5 minutes ago, warfelg said:

There isn't a super huge gap.  And no, a lot of it is pick OT at 20, move into the late 30's for a C.

The general consensus* is there are 3 guys that could start day 1, which is what we need. I am not taking a stance, just am saying I can understand the thought process behind it. A lot of people think we need to walk away from the draft with one of those 3 guys and trading up in the 2nd sounds better than reaching for one in the 1st. 

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

The general consensus* is there are 3 guys that could start day 1, which is what we need. I am not taking a stance, just am saying I can understand the thought process behind it. A lot of people think we need to walk away from the draft with one of those 3 guys and trading up in the 2nd sounds better than reaching for one in the 1st. 

Sorry I ninja edited on you to clarify why I hate it.  Basically the gap between those three and the next 5-6 isn't all that big.

Edited by warfelg

For example, the 33rdTeam (honestly been enjoying some of their draft lead up) has C ranked like this:

28 - Jackson Powers-Johnson

47 - Zach Frazier

49 - Beaux Limmer

52 - Hunter Nourzad

100 - Sedrick Van Pran

129 - Tanor Bortolini

131 - Andrew Raym

So that's 7 guys for the first roughly 2 days of picks which is where you expect starters early to come out of.  Now you mix in positional value drafting early on that means Limmer, Nourzad, Van Pran, Bortolini could all be there in the late 3rd/early 4th. And keep in mind for the NFL OC rankings theres almost no gap in the 5th best C and the 25th best C.  The bigger thing is just don't end up with that 26-32 C which is what we had.

4 hours ago, bigben07MVP said:

Trading up for an OT would be a mistake imo. Too many holes to fill and there will almost certainly be one of the premier ones available at 20. 

Not necessarily saying we should.   Just that I dont think Barton is great value at 20...at least, not as a center.

• Like 1

Getting excited for the draft, but still so genuinely underwhelmed by this off-season and fearful that they set themselves up to be way too specific in the draft and won't actually pick the best players available.

Not only do we need a tackle, but we need a right tackle. Not only do we need a right tackle, but we need one that can start tomorrow

Not only do we need a center, but we need a starting center. 

And I said it before and I still believe it, everything could go perfectly and the they could come out smelling like roses, but that won't mean the process to get here wasn't s**t. 

If Johnny Newton, Outside corner, and spencer rattler were the top 3 picks and the BPA, I'd be very happy. DL is in rough shape moving forward, there is 1 CB signed pasted this year, and there are no QBs on the roster starting in 2025. 

Feels like we have such a lack of flexibility going into the draft and if things don't go our way it could be a domino effect on roster building. Not confident that they aren't just going to ram home RT and C even if it means missing value, overvaluing, or needing to trade up in 1 or 2 to do it. 

We will see obviously, but I am very skeptical at this stage that they are going to maximize value. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

Getting excited for the draft, but still so genuinely underwhelmed by this off-season and fearful that they set themselves up to be way too specific in the draft and won't actually pick the best players available.

Not only do we need a tackle, but we need a right tackle. Not only do we need a right tackle, but we need one that can start tomorrow

And I said it before and I still believe it, everything could go perfectly and the they could come out smelling like roses, but that won't mean the process to get here wasn't s**t. 

If Johnny Newton, Outside corner, and spencer rattler were the top 3 picks and the BPA, I'd be very happy. DL is in rough shape moving forward, there is 1 CB signed pasted this year, and there are no QBs on the roster starting in 2025. 

Feels like we have such a lack of flexibility going into the draft and if things don't go our way it could be a domino effect on roster building. Not confident that they aren't just going to ram home RT and C even if it means missing value, overvaluing, or needing to trade up in 1 or 2 to do it. 

We will see obviously, but I am very skeptical at this stage that they are going to maximize value. 

Some may argue but I don't think they ever go BPA to the point they'll sometimes grab the next player on their position list even if it's a round early. But this a new war room with positive results last year. I expect a question mark or two but for the most part most of your concerns will be addressed. We have many holes that can be filled with talented players available in the 2nd/3rd and even 4th rd that I hope they don't trade up. Like many, I'm hoping for a trade down. 5 picks in the 1st/2nd and 3rd would fix a lot. RT/OC/CB/WR and then BPA at LB/S/DL all in the 1st 3 rds would be excellent. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

While I agree, there are still some options in free agency after the draft, and there will be preseason cuts and trades that could help down the road.

While I believe we draft center, if worse came to worse, we could either slide Daniels over, or even resign Mason Cole if they have to.

At RT, I don't believe they would feel too upset if they have to roll with Dan Moore at LT and BJ at RT again if they have too.

Also, lets noot forget this team started a 3rd and 4th rd rookie at LT and C a few years back.

CB there are still decent options in FA.

WR is where there arent many options, since we only have ONE proven guy.

I don't get it either, but there are options....even if not particularly good ones.   

• Like 2

1 minute ago, 43M said:

While I agree, there are still some options in free agency after the draft, and there will be preseason cuts and trades that could help down the road.

While I believe we draft center, if worse came to worse, we could either slide Daniels over, or even resign Mason Cole if they have to.

At RT, I don't believe they would feel too upset if they have to roll with Dan Moore at LT and BJ at RT again if they have too.

Also, lets noot forget this team started a 3rd and 4th rd rookie at LT and C a few years back.

CB there are still decent options in FA.

WR is where there arent many options, since we only have ONE proven guy.

I don't get it either, but there are options....even if not particularly good ones.   

This.  I think Khan is alittle more patient then most would like.  It may bite him.  

2 hours ago, 43M said:

Not necessarily saying we should.   Just that I dont think Barton is great value at 20...at least, not as a center.

Exactly.  I think they'd be selling him short, all because his arms are 1 1/8" shorter than you'd like.  Everything I seen and read on him, are that he's athletic, and technically proficient at OT, and if his arms were 34" instead of 32 7/8", he'd likely be in the discussion in the 1st Rd for OT, and pretty much a plug-n-play guy, as well.  NFL players overcome 'physical shortcomings' all the time to excel at their positions. Will it be harder for him to exceed than if he had 34"+ arms??  Sure, but if his technique is sound, has great feet, football IQ, etc., etc., he'd be likely be better than an OT bends and lunges too much, or has slow feet, or poor balance, or inconsistent hand usage, etc.  

But what do I know; I'm certainly not an expert in the area...

34 minutes ago, Blitzburgh said:

This.  I think Khan is alittle more patient then most would like.  It may bite him.  

I've been thinking of the right way to craft a response to something like this.

I think what we see from Khan is the calculated patience though. I'm hard pressed to say in the last two years that this team wasn't in need of a rebuild. You can do it on the fly, but what that means is ending up with lots of places where you are going to feel that there's holes.  You don't want to go overboard signing too many FA's to start and close yourself out from drafting.  

What I've seen that I like is that he's shown an understanding of the draft and depth of draft and it's impact on the team.  Last year was a good LT and CB draft and those were the top two spots we saw the ability to improve at and did it.  This year is deep at C, RT, WR, CB and those are the spots where we could most improve.  To me that's the continued conversation multiplicity, where you can reasonably say we have all these needs, but you can do all of that in so many different orders because of what's out there.

3 minutes ago, jebrick said:

If they want Barton, they will draft him at 20.  Philly and GB are both looking for centers

Philly looking for a center is really overrated.  They will end up going CB or DE.  Cam Jurgens has been training to be their center, just worked out there, and they can get better value taking a G in the mid rounds than a C high.  They could even be a sneaky RT team as Lane Johnsons career winds down.