State of the Steelers

warfelg

7 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Have any other WRs been traded recently from a similar situation? My head says maybe a 2nd right now would do it, but I could be wrong.

In my mind it has to atleast be a 2nd, bc the base is a 3rd round comp pick next year without any trade.

• Like 1

Apparently Daniels admitted to the media that the Steelers told him they aren’t going to extend him.

Yea…let not keep a young solid OL who could help mentor the 2 rookies starting on each side of him for the next 4-5 years when they have more than enough cap room going forward.

Just dumb unless he was asking for something ridiculous.

15 minutes ago, AFF said:

Apparently Daniels admitted to the media that the Steelers told him they aren’t going to extend him.

Yea…let not keep a young solid OL who could help mentor the 2 rookies starting on each side of him for the next 4-5 years when they have more than enough cap room going forward.

Just dumb unless he was asking for something ridiculous.

just when the OL appears to be getting good, they allow this to happen.9_9 No problem wasting  $ on chuks, dionte  and mitch, but they won't keep a proven top  quality OG. This is the steeler way I guess, and colbert isn't to thank  either

IF the reason for not keeping Daniels is because they will sign him anyways, or if he wants out, then it makes sense. OR if they plan on getting Aiyuk and thats going to get in the way, I guess  it makes sense to some. I thought there should be cap space for both Aiyuk and Daniels though.

Edited by 3rivers

Apparently Daniels admitted to the media that the Steelers told him they aren’t going to extend him.^^^^^^^^^^

Now or permanently and with finality? The latter doesn't sound smart...perhaps they are thinking they have his replacement and that he would garner a good comp pick when a team overpays him in line with recent guard contacts. 

They said they aren’t extending him now, but that doesn’t mean they won’t offer him a contract after the season. You’ll have more competition to sign him, but what if he doesn’t look good in the new system? I’d be shocked if he wasn’t looking for $18-20M/yr with the recent signings, and you just drafted McCormick and have been training Anderson there this year. If he looks great then try and resign him after the season, what will it cost, an extra couple million? If the other guys look like they’re ready, then let him go. I like Daniels but having flexibility when you don’t have a QB signed, need to sign your only good WR, and only have Warren at RB seems like a good idea. Playing for a contract has shown guys tend to play better is fine in my book. 

• Like 1

OG is a position that has shown you can get away without spending top dollar. If he’s asking close to the $20MM AAV or GTD beyond year 1, I’m comfortable saying we shouldn’t bend those rules for Daniels. It’s not like he’s a year in and year out All-Pro top 5 at his position.

• Like 1