State of the Steelers

warfelg

25 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

What about the times when he (or other coaches) don’t challenge when it is blatantly obvious they should. That’s half of the equation that isn’t accounted for in this stat…and what we saw happen in the 1st preseason game. 

You wanna know why I don’t really care? I bet every coach has those same things happen but there’s no way to track it. 

• Like 1

I'd much rather keep 7 DL, 8 LBs, and 11 DBs than keep a 5th inside backer (8 LBs overall). 

Let's say Leal makes it and the hype is semi-real. Do you keep Lee or Loudermilk, and why? I believe either may make it to the PS...

1 hour ago, bigben07MVP said:

Yea, seems here like a guy who’s decently close to coming back and not heading for IR. But who knows

Yea. Honestly I’m more worried about Jaylen Warren. Hamstrings are things that tend to linger for a long time.

8 hours ago, Chieferific said:

Dez Fitzpatrick has made some plays at WR and STs. I think he could make it. 

I mean I guess but honestly, there isn't really anything that stands out about him. We have a lot of #4/5 WRs, not much in the way of impact guys beyond Pickens

• 2 weeks later...

Am I'm crazy for thinking TJ watt is underrated nationally? Ive noticed whenever the best defender/pass rusher discussion comes up on the podcast I listen too...they're quick to say Miles garret is the best defender and sometimes they'll say Parsons..watt is always a afterthought...seems like they look at him as a tier below those two...which doesn't make sense...these guys act like myles always performs at the level he was at the 1st part of last year...

Edited by August4th

32 minutes ago, August4th said:

Am I'm crazy for thinking TJ watt is underrated nationally? Ive noticed whenever the best defender/pass rusher discussion comes up on the podcast I listen too...they're quick to say Miles garret is the best defender and sometimes they'll say Parsons..watt is always a afterthought...seems like they look at him as a tier below those two...which doesn't make sense...these guys act like myles always performs at the level he was at the 1st part of last year...

You’re not crazy, you’re actually right.

Dude should be a 3x DPOY. I thought this was pretty much universally known amongst Steelers fans though. 

• Like 1

2 things I think that go into it:

1 - I think that Steelers fans move the needle and these places that do this know this fact and it's a cheap easy way to spark viewership.

2 - I attribute it as to why doesn't LeBron have more MVP's? Because people know he's so good he basically has to break records and do things no one thought could happen to gain attention. Like at this point you basically pencil in 15 sacks, 30 TFL, 3 PD, 1 INT, 1 FR, 2 FF for Watt. So if that's his baseline he needs to do something eye popping like 24 sacks, 45 TFL, 7 PD, 3 INT, 4 FR, 8 FF to get the eyeballs of "oh my god he dominated".

I really hate that last years DPOY was basically decided on one stupid play, one that doesn't even matter, when Garrett did the "crossover" thing and basically was barely blocked for a sack. Which is stupid. Be basically won due to flash.

Will be interesting to see how they tilt everything for Parsons this year to make him come off as deserving no matter what else happens.

1 hour ago, August4th said:

Yeah but Watt lacks in almost sacks.  That is the stat you need to focus on.

5 minutes ago, jebrick said:

Yeah but Watt lacks in almost sacks.  That is the stat you need to focus on.

I tried finding the article but someone did a deeper dive into the pressures thing because the argument is it’s “just as good because it can create a hurried throw or bad pass”.

It was interesting because they found that more drives where Watt got a sack ended with the ball changing possession (punt/INT/fumble) than a drive where Garrett got a sack. In top of that a Watt pressure was more likely to result in a turnover than a Garrett pressure, which was more likely to cause an incomplete. 

Additionally I know Joe Burrow has said Watt is the only edge guy he considers as a pass rusher (aware he’s coming) but also as a DB (aware he’s somewhere) because of his ability to play the ball. I saw another QB put it as “Garrett moves so it’s a matter of where will he get you from; Watt doesn’t so it’s a matter of when is he going to get you; and I’ll take the fear of where over when every time.” I think it was an OC that also said something to the effect of Garrett needs to be accounted for but the field is still open to throw to, Watt needs to be accounted for but you also tell QBs that hot reads can’t be where he’s at because you need to avoid throwing that way due to his ability to play the ball in the air. 

2 hours ago, August4th said:

LOL Gary and Mack aren't even top 5 pass rushers.

1 hour ago, warfelg said:

I tried finding the article but someone did a deeper dive into the pressures thing because the argument is it’s “just as good because it can create a hurried throw or bad pass”.

It was interesting because they found that more drives where Watt got a sack ended with the ball changing possession (punt/INT/fumble) than a drive where Garrett got a sack. In top of that a Watt pressure was more likely to result in a turnover than a Garrett pressure, which was more likely to cause an incomplete. 

Additionally I know Joe Burrow has said Watt is the only edge guy he considers as a pass rusher (aware he’s coming) but also as a DB (aware he’s somewhere) because of his ability to play the ball. I saw another QB put it as “Garrett moves so it’s a matter of where will he get you from; Watt doesn’t so it’s a matter of when is he going to get you; and I’ll take the fear of where over when every time.” I think it was an OC that also said something to the effect of Garrett needs to be accounted for but the field is still open to throw to, Watt needs to be accounted for but you also tell QBs that hot reads can’t be where he’s at because you need to avoid throwing that way due to his ability to play the ball in the air. 

The PPF thing is only because LBs( which they count Watt) get less points than a Dlineman.  So for PPF almost sacks, Watt does need to have a record breaking year to beat out a dlineman.

I personally like sacks since it is a metric that brooks no argument.  It is either true or false.  Almost sacks are a judgement call.