State of the Steelers

warfelg

3 hours ago, skywlker32 said:

Yea, my understanding was kind of that run defense was the only thing really holding him back from starting over Highsmith.

Herbig looked fine against the run, absolutely fine. I didn't really see a falloff in that respect. Regardless, I'd rather have a guy on the field who is very special in one major area that is highly impactful and fair in another than a guy who is just decent to good all the way around. That's boring. This guy, by contrast, is a special player. Maybe not TJ Watt special, but comfortably top ten NFL pass rusher type of special. The instincts are also there in spades. 

11 minutes ago, rlon said:

Herbig looked fine against the run, absolutely fine. I didn't really see a falloff in that respect. Regardless, I'd rather have a guy on the field who is very special in one major area that is highly impactful and fair in another than a guy who is just decent to good all the way around. That's boring. This guy, by contrast, is a special player. Maybe not TJ Watt special, but comfortably top ten NFL pass rusher type of special. The instincts are also there in spades. 

We'll surely see, but as I said, Highsmith is also a very good all around passrusher. Herbig has looked very good, but he is about to be playing about 3 times the number of snaps than he has this season. We will see what that does to his performance.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rlon said:

keep all 3 for the next few years. If Highsmith can't stay healthy, then he will eventually  be like others that had the same issue.  This team is elite at outside passrush. So much, that Leal see the field much if at all and was a wasted RD3 pick of course

For the sake of discussion what does everyone think Tomlin’s angle in refusing to name Fields the starting QB?  Is he trying to avoid drama and/or trade demands with Russ?  Or does he believe there is a chance Russ could still be the best option?  Or something else?

For those that watch the all 22 or rewatched the tape,  what was your thoughts on Mason McCormick?  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Blitzburgh said:

For the sake of discussion what does everyone think Tomlin’s angle in refusing to name Fields the starting QB?  Is he trying to avoid drama and/or trade demands with Russ?  Or does he believe there is a chance Russ could still be the best option?  Or something else?

For those that watch the all 22 or rewatched the tape,  what was your thoughts on Mason McCormick?  

Maybe he just doesn’t want to upset the apple cart. No point in messing with a good thing. 

4 hours ago, Blitzburgh said:

I think it’s as simple as he’s being honest and there’s no reason to. If Fields comes out and turns the ball over 3 times and takes a bunch of ugly sacks against the Colts, he doesn’t have to deal with the drama of “turning back to Russ.” I think everyone knows Fields would remain the starter at this point even if Russ was healthy, but why make that public commitment right now if you don’t need to. 

I do not watch all-22, just the game live and a re-watch on Monday but everything I’ve heard and seen myself is that he was solid and probably better than Anderson at this point. I am guessing they let Daniels walk and McCormick is your starting RG in 2025.

Edited by bigben07MVP

10 hours ago, Blitzburgh said:

it's just tomlin. He likes keeping media and opponents guessing, and opponents have to prepare for 2 different skillset QB's. This makes the preparation for a defence more involving and a lame way to gain advantage IMO. 

also, with the team winning and Fields playing good enough, why change anyways. Russ got injured and lost his job, like many others  in the league over the years. Lame how it happened, shouldn't have happened, but it did.

6 hours ago, bigben07MVP said:

I am guessing they let Daniels walk and McCormick is your starting RG in 2025.

I never liked this idea

until after watching daniels appearing to have not played to his previous level. Might be time to move on, and save cap space as well. Not sure whats going on with daniels, he was good last year but maybe he is injured and we won't find out until seasons end 

14 hours ago, Blitzburgh said:

IMO, this last game was the first one that I would say was a progression towards Fields being the starter. I don't like the idea of using a 1 game sample size to decide your starting QB. Fields has had better games only to come back down to Earth a game or so later.