2022 GDT Da Steelers 1-4 host Da Bucs 3-2

Steeler Hitman

8 minutes ago, 43M said:

On a separate note, how worried should we be about Pat Friermuth?   Two severe concussions in first two years is really bad.    Wouldn't be shocked to see him walk away early.

I am.  What annoys me more is both were on actual hits to the head….the avoidable.  He’s 6’5”, there’s little reason he should be getting hit like that.  (Side note, the face that no Bills player was fined last weekend is laughable)

• Like 3

Players that have a history of concussions should have the best helmet available and an extra foam shell like some players used to wear. I think Steve Tasker had that, and this goes back a long time ago, but I would expect something similar (yet better of course) available today. The league might want to consider covering the shiny plastic shell with a protective foam and logo moving forward.  I see them wearing the foam covers in practice so perhaps thats a start. 

Gone are the days of hearing all the helmet/facemask collisions, it's been about a generation now, so time to move on I guess.  People can always watch old games to get their fix of that, but moving forward the league needs to make this less of an issue and it starts with the helmet.

As for the added effect of the sound from the collisions, they can always add sound with their crew similar to kung fu movies in the 70's  🤐

• Like 1

1 hour ago, warfelg said:

Mitch played like he knew he didn’t need to look over his shoulder.

That is what I have been saying to many has been Mitch's biggest issue. I think he played not to make a mistake instead of playing to win. He played to win the game and made the most of his opportunity. The team also complimented his play more by making plays and not making as many mistakes (penalties on long gains on third down, etc.).  There were a few mistakes, but the team overcame them and converted or made the tough/contested catches. 

3 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

what ever happened to the 5up 5down thread after games? Did we all stop caring that much because nothing good to report?

5 Up

1. Mitch Tribisky. Really happy for the opportunity to redeem himself.

2. Chase Claypool. we have been waiting to see this player. He played his heart out.

3. The JV Team on defense!  These guys outplayed the TB Buccaneers Varsity Team.

4. Alex Highsmith and Larry Ogunjobi both really stepped up this game on defense.

5. Connor Heyward and Steven Simms.  They both made some impact plays that helped win.

5 Down

1. LG Kevin Dotson did not have one of his better games.  He has struggled with consistency. One game he looks like he is ready to breakout and the next, he looks like a JAG (Just a Guard). 

2. Scoring Offense. Continues to be a problem. The team had chances to score more points and settled for FG's. Steven Simms takes the opening kick-off back to the TB 11 yard line. Three plays later the Steelers are kicking a FG. Gotta score seven there.

3. Lack of complementary football. While this was actually one of the better overall performances by the overall coaching,  offense, defense, and special teams, the team makes things so much harder by not finishing drives, getting untimely penalties, predictable play-calling, and the propensity for three and outs. 

4. Kenny Pickett getting concussed/hurt.  No explanation needed.

5. Allowing TB to steal three points before the half.  Despite the win, some very poor situational coaching and play-calling the last 2:30 or so of the half.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

The fact they keep trotting this dude out there as our pass coverage LB has been one of the most irritating parts of the season for me. Just absolute incompetence. 

The only only thing I can think is they rather the issue be physical limitation than mental limitations.

This is why I say that Spillane’s mind in Bush’s buddy would be a great LB.  Myles Jack looks decent enough but you can still see him lacking in some mental lapses from time to time.

Edited by warfelg
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

The fact they keep trotting this dude out there as our pass coverage LB has been one of the most irritating parts of the season for me. Just absolute incompetence. 

this is what happens when you're not hitting on the draft past RD 1. Hopefully a good draft next yr pushes guys like spillane and others off the roster

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, warfelg said:

The only only thing I can think is they rather the issue be physical limitation than mental limitations.

This is why I say that Spillane’s mind in Bush’s buddy would be a great LB.  Myles Jack looks decent enough but you can still see him lacking in some mental lapses from time to time.

I would understand if Bush was constantly getting torched in coverage, but he’s not. 

26 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

I would understand if Bush was constantly getting torched in coverage, but he’s not. 

As I said, he would work well in a non-tackling position on defense.

Most of the time he sucks at being in position to tackle.  He likes making tackles on Rb after they are 5 yards down the field.  Spillane has an excuse because he is not as athletic as is demanded at the position and was not a top 10 pick. 

• Like 2

Some unfiltered thoughts as I re-watch the game:

- Loudermilk is really solid against the run man, I like having him back in the D-Line rotation.

- Pickens completely whiffed on a block on Najee’s first run, resulted in a 4 yard loss

- Claypool had some really solid blocking reps on successful Najee runs 

- James Pierre man, nice to finally see him have a game like that. Was the star of training camp for two seasons in a row but could never translate that to Gameday until yesterday.

- Deciding to call two runs at the “end” of the half only to still leave enough time for Brady to get a field goal is really tough

- Terrell Edmunds was one the best players on the team yesterday. He may not force a ton of turnovers, but he rarely makes mistakes and has gotten better each year. He is the Ryan Clark to Minkah.

- We only ran it once, but I like the Najee wildcat wrinkle. I wouldn’t mind seeing it mixed in more (just don’t give him a pass option).

• Like 2