Week 6: Panthers

LeotheLion

9 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

I'm not sure Williams will give us all that much as a runner. He's pretty meh there. Quick and runs hard but not that big or fast. But he's an outstanding receiver and was a great pass blocker in college. Regardless, Hunt and Montgomery have to be available for trade. It's not clear either is. If the Bears were open to doing business, I'd love to try and acquire both David Montgomery and Robert Quinn in a trade.

I'd get that Hunt may not be available but I'm not sure it makes any sense for the Bears to not be sellers for upcoming FAs. They have a ton of cap space so I don't think they will try to play the comp pick card either. 

2 minutes ago, LeotheLion said:

I'd get that Hunt may not be available but I'm not sure it makes any sense for the Bears to not be sellers for upcoming FAs. They have a ton of cap space so I don't think they will try to play the comp pick card either. 

NFL teams aren't always rational.

11 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Disagree. OLs are in short supply. What good/great OL is going to be available? HBs aren't in short supply. We can land a talented one for a Day 3 pick. And potentially could land an elite one like CMC for a Day 2 pick and Akers. We're not landing an elite OL for a Day 2 pick and Akers.

If no OL is available so keep our picks for the draft. 

Even if you land CMC or Hunt or another RB, the OL is so weak, it would be useless to have them. 

Trading for just trading is not the smartest thing to do. 

9 minutes ago, Flounch said:

Even if you land CMC or Hunt or another RB, the OL is so weak, it would be useless to have them. 

Unless guys get healthy and the OL gels over the course of the year. Our window isn't that large. Go for it.

10 minutes ago, Flounch said:

If you change NOTHING before the end of the bye week, you're signaling to the team you're throwing in the towel on season essentially. Outside of the 2H of yesterdays game this team looked dejected and disinterested. Rolling ahead with what we have after how aggressive we've been since 2017 sends a bad message. Something needs to be done to provide a spark.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, jrry32 said:

No chance a HB is getting multiple firsts. 

Probably not going to happen as you said, but that's what theyre putting out there. Maybe Bills part with one 1st, but if youre Carolina thats either the 31st or 32nd pick so is that more valuable than a 2nd and a 3rd? Maybe cause of the 5th year option, but probably not. 

2 hours ago, BStanRamFan said:

Probably not going to happen as you said, but that's what theyre putting out there. Maybe Bills part with one 1st, but if youre Carolina thats either the 31st or 32nd pick so is that more valuable than a 2nd and a 3rd? Maybe cause of the 5th year option, but probably not. 

I can’t see anyone paying that much. The RB career length is very short and like you said, if it’s the bills it’s a bottom 4 pick guaranteed. All I can think of is Gurley. At this point maybe Kareem is the better option even though CMC would be perfect for us. I do expect a move to be made though. I’m pretty excited to see what happens over this next week

16 minutes ago, LeotheLion said:

Regardless if we make a move or not, nothing matters unless Stafford starts to play better. 

I get this.. but I do think he deserves some leniency here. We talked about only a few QBs being able to be productive behind this Oline and now im at the point where I truly don't think ANY Qb would be. Ever. He's behind literally 4th and 5th string guards and centers with absolutely ZERO run game and 1 reliable weapon. I just don't see how any QB in history could feel comfortable back there knowing they're very likely going to be killed on most plays. That gets in the head of any QB. It might be crazy to say, but imo Stafford is playing better than last year. Remember he was missing wide open WRs under zero pressure last year? I didn't fully trust him until he turned it up and was consistent in the playoffs. He was a mess at times.. and is again this year but it seems when he has a little time, he's on the money this year. He just has no time at all. 

Not saying he's been perfect.. the pick 6 yesterday was so frustrating. But I truly think if LA can have just an average Oline then we will be fine. 

11 minutes ago, MDY10 said:

I get this.. but I do think he deserves some leniency here. We talked about only a few QBs being able to be productive behind this Oline and now im at the point where I truly don't think ANY Qb would be. Ever. He's behind literally 4th and 5th string guards and centers with absolutely ZERO run game and 1 reliable weapon. I just don't see how any QB in history could feel comfortable back there knowing they're very likely going to be killed on most plays. That gets in the head of any QB. It might be crazy to say, but imo Stafford is playing better than last year. Remember he was missing wide open WRs under zero pressure last year? I didn't fully trust him until he turned it up and was consistent in the playoffs. He was a mess at times.. and is again this year but it seems when he has a little time, he's on the money this year. He just has no time at all. 

Not saying he's been perfect.. the pick 6 yesterday was so frustrating. But I truly think if LA can have just an average Oline then we will be fine. 

Stafford played for Detroit for 12 years. That team never had a run game or a good OL. If the season ended today this would be Stafford's worst season since his rookie year in 2009. He's always going to turn the ball over but he's also given up defensive TDs in 3 straight games. We might have won the Cowboys game if he doesn't fumble on the first drive. I can accept arm punts with him, what we cannot keep going through is gift-wrapping the opponents 7 while the offense is struggling to move the ball. That is the easy recipe to lose to vastly inferior teams like Dallas is with Cooper Rush. The fact that we waited until midway through the 4th to put away the Panthers who completed 1 pass past the LOS is very alarming.

And I am not buying that he has 1 reliable weapon. He has 1 weapon that he throws the ball too. Allen Robinson not being involved in the offense is more of a reflection of Stafford than Robinson. 

That pick 6 yesterday was unforced. Then the next play he tried to throw another pick. We saw Stafford go through a bad November and turn it around, so hopefully he will do that. But if he doesn't, any move this team makes will not matter.

10 minutes ago, LeotheLion said:

Stafford played for Detroit for 12 years. That team never had a run game or a good OL. If the season ended today this would be Stafford's worst season since his rookie year in 2009. He's always going to turn the ball over but he's also given up defensive TDs in 3 straight games. We might have won the Cowboys game if he doesn't fumble on the first drive. I can accept arm punts with him, what we cannot keep going through is gift-wrapping the opponents 7 while the offense is struggling to move the ball. That is the easy recipe to lose to vastly inferior teams like Dallas is with Cooper Rush. The fact that we waited until midway through the 4th to put away the Panthers who completed 1 pass past the LOS is very alarming.

And I am not buying that he has 1 reliable weapon. He has 1 weapon that he throws the ball too. Allen Robinson not being involved in the offense is more of a reflection of Stafford than Robinson. 

That pick 6 yesterday was unforced. Then the next play he tried to throw another pick. We saw Stafford go through a bad November and turn it around, so hopefully he will do that. But if he doesn't, any move this team makes will not matter.

I do agree with you, but I still don't think he's ever had a line as bad as this. Its one thing to have a bad starting line... its another to be on 4th and 5th string players who have never played in an NFL game and were bagging groceries a few weeks ago. Our LT had 3-4 starts before this season and now he's out too. As for the cowboys game, that could be on the blocked punt just as much as it was on the fumble. He had play action and as soon as he turned he had 2 lineman in his face. He definitely feels like he has to carry this team right now and he's not wrong.. but he's trying to do too much. I do agree with handing the defense 7 points every game, I just don't think it happens if he knows he has a chance on the next play or drive. Stafford is off sometimes, Mcvay has been off at times, everyone is weirdly off and imo it alllll traces back to how bad the Oline is right now. I don't think it a coincidence that they started playing well and moving the ball with ease when the line was holding up in the 4th quarter. 

As for Robinson, im as big of a fan as it comes. That said, its on Mcvay as much as it is Stafford. Not only is it on those 2, but its on Arob as well. I haven't ever seen him struggle to get separation like he is right now and that's going back to PSU days. On the plus side, they seemed to get a little momentum and chemistry going vs the panthers. 

Last year to me is different. Stafford was making dumb decisions under no pressure most of the time. im not giving him a pass on the pick 6, but to me he looks way better this year when he has even just a little time. The guy has been getting crushed repeatedly. You're right though, still time to turn it around. I refuse to believe this team lays down the rest of the year. They seemed to have that SB hangover, but they seem to be feeling the pressure again to start winning games. That urgency might have kicked in and woke them up a bit. Hopefully.

5 hours ago, BStanRamFan said:

If you change NOTHING before the end of the bye week, you're signaling to the team you're throwing in the towel on season essentially. Outside of the 2H of yesterdays game this team looked dejected and disinterested. Rolling ahead with what we have after how aggressive we've been since 2017 sends a bad message. Something needs to be done to provide a spark.

Something has to change and it started with Mcvay playcalling and Stafford targeting others players than Kupp, first.

Robinson this poor guy, he's running and playing all game just for 1 target in the red zone in the first 5 games....yesterday was a little bit better. But he needs to be involved more otherwise it's a waste of money. Still don't understand why we took this guy and trade Woods....

Then solve the OL issue in second. 

And only if the 2 thing below are solves, then maybe trade for a RB. 

Edited by Flounch