2022 GDT Da Steelers 2-4 Visit the Miami Dolphins 3-3

Steeler Hitman

5 minutes ago, August4th said:

this was a elite level throw.

I saw someone toss this theory out there on Kenny’s struggles: Kenny didn’t take first team snaps at a high level in camp and when he did, DJ and Claypool were out. He’s got much better chemistry with Pickens, Sims, Freiermuth, Warren, Gentry because of that time all spent working together. But those first two and Najee just can’t get on the same page and work together at all. 

Also listening back on Locked On and Chris Carter dropped this nugget:

offense points scored rankings under Mike Sullivan:

13, 30, 28, 31 

Be careful what you wish for in coaching changes. 

41 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Also listening back on Locked On and Chris Carter dropped this nugget:

offense points scored rankings under Mike Sullivan:

13, 30, 28, 31 

Be careful what you wish for in coaching changes. 

Coaching changes at this point have nothing to do with seeking large scale improvement. It's about knowing you have something that doesn't work and removing the broken pieces from the equations. 

If Tomlin won't fire Canada because is more afraid of what he has behind him -- then Mike needs to take a long, long look in the mirror and consider his hiring practices. 

• Like 1

On 10/21/2022 at 1:30 PM, 43M said:

Its not.    Its trading an inconsistent WR who very likely wont get a 2nd contract with us for a solid price.   I wouldn't trade him for less than that, but unless you believe he is going to turn it around and perform every week like he played vs the Bucs, you get a decent deal while you still can.

I would rather get rid of Dionte Johnson. I think he can bring a better draft value and he is the model of inconsistency. I understood resigning him losing Ju Ju, but his play, attitude, etc., have kind of soured on me.  I am not saying trade him to trade him either, but if you are looking to get better draft capitol or a player, he would be my choice over Chase. 

I respect if you don't want to trade him, but lets not act like it wouldn't make sense to do so.   

I never said that it didn't, but I just don't see the fascination to get rid of guys to get rid of them. There is a trend of trade this guy or that guy.  You know what you have with them and often times draft choices are a crap shoot. You optimistically hope, but the reality is that it is a ???

Between him and DJ, we have two WRs you cant consistently depend on.  I don't see keeping Claypool for another year and a half as being notably more valuable than getting a 3rd rounder to help rebuild a broken team.

And that is why I would keep Claypool over Dionte. Both were second round draft choices, so I see Dionte having a higher trade value based on his productivity.  I think Chase has been a victim of his own comments and antics, and the fact that he played with an aging HOF with no OL or running game and is now playing with a rookie with no consistent running game and an OC who only seems to like having him run jet sweeps and fly's.    

As far as WJ3....he isn't a notable upgrade to what we currently have, especially without a decent pass rush.

True, but I think the change of scenery may do him some good. His play may be said to be comparable to Ahkello and Levi, but I see him as potentially having a much higher ceiling.  He would be an upgrade over Sutton and everyone behind him.

35 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

If Tomlin won't fire Canada because is more afraid of what he has behind him -- then Mike needs to take a long, long look in the mirror and consider his hiring practices. 

The other rumor floating around is that the team won't fire Canada because the Rooney's are too cheap to pay out his contract. Which gels. They don't typically fire anyone midseason. If that is the reason, I'd really question the long term thinking of the franchise. You'd rather saddle your presumptive franchise QB with an offensive scheme that is the laughing stock of the league. What long term damage is being done to Pickett by teaching him the wrong things?

And in terms of offensive coaching, it seems to be pretty pitiful across the board. Which is why I am not on board with unloading guys who have seemingly "regressed" the last season or two. I'm not a huge fan of Johnson or Claypool, but read this link:

https://steelersdepot.com/2022/10/wr-juju-smith-schuster-says-hes-learned-more-about-offense-in-kansas-city-than-in-his-entire-pittsburgh-career/

Then maybe circle back around to what these guys are learning in their positional rooms and team meetings. They are trying to play Claypool in a position where he has to be able to read the defense. He is failing. Johnson has routinely been on the wrong page with his QB's whether they were the most veteran of veterans or Pickett. The offensive coaching staff is a clown show, and the offense has underperformed relative to their talent level throughout the entirety of the Tomlin era. I think the last time they punched above their talent level on that side of the ball was the 2005 playoff run when Cowher got out of the way. 

• Like 2

I know players have to go out their and makes plays. and they have their flaws

but these coaches are bringing nothing to the table. they are letting these guys down with poor game planning. This is going on for years now. right now the only offensive coach I like is the new O-line coach even though the line still can't run block ...

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

Coaching changes at this point have nothing to do with seeking large scale improvement. It's about knowing you have something that doesn't work and removing the broken pieces from the equations. 

It wasn't a reason not to fire Canada, rather just Sullivan is a great QBCoach, but his track record as an offensive play caller isn't the best so people expecting big changes through that change should temper expectations.

Personally, I think losing Sullivan as QB Coach wouldn't be great, but there's no other option to have call plays.  And I think even if you make Sullivan the interim OC, he wouldn't take a demotion after all of this.  Eddie Faulkner (RBs) was a OC for one year, and I don't think he would take a 'demotion' poorly.  So he might be someone worth looking at for it.

7 minutes ago, August4th said:

I know players have to go out their and makes plays. and they have their flaws

but these coaches are bringing nothing to the table. they are letting these guys down with poor game planning. This is going on for years now. right now the only offensive coach I like is the new O-line coach even though the line still can't run block ...

The run blocking has actually been better.  Even Warren is missing holes now.  And the offense tends to look fine when stuff is scripted, as I pointed out last week.  I think that the offensive coaching stand just has no pulse on how to measure the game and feel out what's working.  I do think it's time Canada came out of the booth and had more conversation with Kenny face to face as the game is going on rather than over a headset.

• Like 1

Just now, August4th said:

I've heard the rooney's are cheap with assistant coaches, but I would think guys like Haley and Munchak wouldn't come cheap..than again those guys have roots in this region, so they may of came on a discount/respect for the organization type deal

The rumor I heard is at their time they were both highest paid in the league for their roles.  Rumor is Flores and Jerry O are that right now too.  And Tomlin is rumored top 3 highest paid HC even though his terms aren't really known.  Khan, Hunt, Colbert were up there as well.  

I would say it's less that they are cheap and won't fire someone (they've done it plenty) and more they like to be respectful and let the guy leave while saving face (Arians and Lebeau 'retiring').

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, warfelg said:

The rumor I heard is at their time they were both highest paid in the league for their roles.  Rumor is Flores and Jerry O are that right now too.  And Tomlin is rumored top 3 highest paid HC even though his terms aren't really known.  Khan, Hunt, Colbert were up there as well.  

I would say it's less that they are cheap and won't fire someone (they've done it plenty) and more they like to be respectful and let the guy leave while saving face (Arians and Lebeau 'retiring').

that's interesting

seems like they've thrown all their resources at the defense. highest paid players and coaches while the offense is being staved out atm and it shows up on the field.

Edited by August4th

1 minute ago, August4th said:

that's interesting

seems like they've thrown all their resources at the defense. highest paid players and coaches while the offense is being staved out atm and it shows up on the field.

Same thing happened to the defense a few years ago.