LP's and DF's: Game with Philly

Calvert28

Yea not gonna both with it. A problem is not worth pointing out unless you have something to replace it with. So here are my team needs.

1. Lee's Successor- Whether it's LB or Safety we need someone who can play coach on the defense.

2. TE- Witten has been non existent. It's time we take a look at a guy like Mark Andrews from OU to pair and eventually replace him with as well as give us a legit redzone threat.

3. Tackle- Someone who can play both RT and step in at LT. Someone like that may require a 1st rounder. But if someone like COnner Williams drops to the 2nd though to us, I say we hop on him.

4. DE- Need another guy to help with pressure.

5. Safety- We may be ok, I am not for certain. But if we are ok, we could switch this to No2 WR.

Another WR has to be one of our top needs.  We don't have anyone who can consistently stretch the field.  Dez has been struggling and isn't the quickest player either, T-Will is just frustrating, and Beasley and Witten both work underneath almost exclusively.  Defenses don't often have to worry about getting beat deep.  A player like that can give our offense another dimension.

I don't see tackle as a top need at all unless you think Smith's back is a long-term problem, which doesn't appear to be the case.  And I think Collins has done a solid job overall at RT.  Another backup to replace Green would not require a premium pick.

14 minutes ago, roysmyboy31 said:

Another WR has to be one of our top needs.  We don't have anyone who can consistently stretch the field.  Dez has been struggling and isn't the quickest player either, T-Will is just frustrating, and Beasley and Witten both work underneath almost exclusively.  Defenses don't often have to worry about getting beat deep.  A player like that can give our offense another dimension.

I don't see tackle as a top need at all unless you think Smith's back is a long-term problem, which doesn't appear to be the case.  And I think Collins has done a solid job overall at RT.  Another backup to replace Green would not require a premium pick.

my opinion as well

Well.  I join the club that thinks it a little silly after a game like this to try and single out a single player as the problem

though I will say the TWill deflection helped change the focus of the game but it still might not have mattered once the philly coaches decided to get back to running the ball we were toast

and my thoughts on need in order

LB I have always called for help here we need a high round pick with speed and strength here to make plays on the edge

OL. We really need to improve here times 2. I have zero faith in Smith. He seems too fragile 

Sigh...  this one hurts as I was really I mean really high on our WR core beginning of year but now I just don’t see them getting separation as a unit. And running consistent routes  We need to improve here 

as for our secondary I believe time will help here though and if we want a fix IT should come FA. Not draft. More youth is not required.  

Ironically I see DL okay unless something special drops in our lap.  Later rounds maybe a space eater in the middle

LP's: Ummmmmmm ummmmmmm I got nothing.

DF's: oh I got plenty of them to go around

1. First and foremost, Dak. I think a lot of his problems last night stemmed from his lines performance last week. All those hits he took, sped up his internal clock, forcing him to throw the ball much earlier than what he is wanting.

2. Coaching. again, failure to make half time adjustments is killing us

3. WR's continue to drop balls

4. Dez you still underperform against top secondaries. I would not be sad if we moved on from both him and

5. Butter fingers Williams, dude needs to learn how to hold onto a ball.

I just wanna say Demarcus Lawrence for most of the game absolutely brought his A-game going up against the best RT in football. I thought we were gonna move him over to the right side this week to work Vaitai instead of Johnson, and we did a little bit but not as much as I expected. Excellent first half from Brown and Jaylon also, and the defense in general- Philly got 7 points on 7 drives.

But with or without Lee, this defense ultimately played like we all knew they would. And here's the thing- I don't even necessarily mean that as an indictment. The Cowboys are 29th in defensive spending in the NFL in terms of percentage of the salary cap, and 8th on offense, per Spotrac. Heading into the year, I said that the defense wasn't likely to be the reason this team would struggle this year, despite overwhelming opinions to the contrary. Because despite the hyper-focus on the failure to contain one of the best QBs of all time in the divisional round, we had roughly a 48 game sample under Rod that basically showed his D could hold its own so long as the offense sustained long drives and gave them leads. Fail to do that, and eventually the dam breaks, specifically against the run.

So the offensive coach/talent/philosophy comes under the microscope. Not a good showing for anyone besides maybe Fred+Martin. I don't think anyone should be surprised we've struggled like this without a Top 2 LT and a Top 3 RB. We all knew this staff is stubborn and struggles to adjust. How they do in the next 4 games will define the year, but I'm not sure we should be rooting for a 3-1 or 4-0 result that allows us to compete for a WC spot in the last two weeks, because what does it matter if you can usually beat losing teams if you're just gonna get out-coached in the playoffs? Hopefully this is overreactive, but I'm just not seeing it.

Garrett started out 7 years ago with a top-heavy roster with a bunch of bad contracts and took 4 years to beat the Lions in the wild card round while suffering through a bunch of .500 years as he and others had to rebuild the team. 3 years later and our depth is MIA again and we're 5-5 with a point differential of 0- the makeup of an 8-8 team. There's no 7.5 year plan in the NFL. JG's got 6 weeks to figure it out.

3 hours ago, matt79511 said:

I just wanna say Demarcus Lawrence for most of the game absolutely brought his A-game going up against the best RT in football. I thought we were gonna move him over to the right side this week to work Vaitai instead of Johnson, and we did a little bit but not as much as I expected. Excellent first half from Brown and Jaylon also, and the defense in general- Philly got 7 points on 7 drives.

But with or without Lee, this defense ultimately played like we all knew they would. And here's the thing- I don't even necessarily mean that as an indictment. The Cowboys are 29th in defensive spending in the NFL in terms of percentage of the salary cap, and 8th on offense, per Spotrac. Heading into the year, I said that the defense wasn't likely to be the reason this team would struggle this year, despite overwhelming opinions to the contrary. Because despite the hyper-focus on the failure to contain one of the best QBs of all time in the divisional round, we had roughly a 48 game sample under Rod that basically showed his D could hold its own so long as the offense sustained long drives and gave them leads. Fail to do that, and eventually the dam breaks, specifically against the run.

So the offensive coach/talent/philosophy comes under the microscope. Not a good showing for anyone besides maybe Fred+Martin. I don't think anyone should be surprised we've struggled like this without a Top 2 LT and a Top 3 RB. We all knew this staff is stubborn and struggles to adjust. How they do in the next 4 games will define the year, but I'm not sure we should be rooting for a 3-1 or 4-0 result that allows us to compete for a WC spot in the last two weeks, because what does it matter if you can usually beat losing teams if you're just gonna get out-coached in the playoffs? Hopefully this is overreactive, but I'm just not seeing it.

Garrett started out 7 years ago with a top-heavy roster with a bunch of bad contracts and took 4 years to beat the Lions in the wild card round while suffering through a bunch of .500 years as he and others had to rebuild the team. 3 years later and our depth is MIA again and we're 5-5 with a point differential of 0- the makeup of an 8-8 team. There's no 7.5 year plan in the NFL. JG's got 6 weeks to figure it out.

I'm with you on this.  The honeymoon is over.

Archived