2022-2023 NBA GDT: The regular season is finally over!

11sanchez11

16 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

They have 2 top 20 players now. They do this trade and get some injury luck and they could win a couple playoff series. Then they still have an easy pathway to max cap space next summer or the summer after that. You don't throw away 2 seasons because of picks 5 and 7 years from now.

They can also put protections on the picks. I don't think anyone expects them to give away 2 unprotected 1sts for Hield and Turner. Put top 8 protections on the picks, or send 1 unprotected 1st and a 2nd, and call it a day. Indiana won't get a better offer for those players than either of those offers, and Brissett is completely out of their rotation right now for some reason. Let's not forget that Bojan Bogdanovic, who's better than both Hield and Turner, just went for a middling starter and cap filler.

They won the AD trade, let's again not go crazy. It was the moves afterwards that tanked this team. They were looking just fine against Phoenix then traded away their entire rotation and a 1st for Westbrook in a panic move.

I don't see how you can look at the Lakers roster and future and say they won that trade. AD isn't going to be a franchise cornerstone and they have no picks to replenish the roster. 

3 minutes ago, Kingram said:

I don't see how you can look at the Lakers roster and future and say they won that trade. AD isn't going to be a franchise cornerstone and they have no picks to replenish the roster. 

That's not because of the AD trade, that's because of mistakes afterwards. This is still an easy playoff team if they don't make the Westbrook trade and keep Caruso, two things that are completely separate from the AD trade.

They won a championship, man. As a Pelicans fan, would you call any trade a failure if it got your franchise a title?

Just now, seminoles1 said:

That's not because of the AD trade, that's because of mistakes afterwards. This is still an easy playoff team if they don't make the Westbrook trade and keep Caruso, two things that are completely separate from the AD trade.

They won a championship, man. As a Pelicans fan, would you call any trade a failure if it got your franchise a title?

Bubble ring tbh. AD isn't a franchise cornerstone, it doesn't matter about the moves following. AD is not a dude you can build around and contend. He's always been a loser as a #1. He isn't even winning as a #2 and his shot has completely fallen off planet Earth. 

12 minutes ago, Texansfan713 said:

You are underselling Scoot.  He isnt generational but there definitely arent hundreds of Scoot Hendersons. 

Also the Lakers need to start winning games!  I dont want the Pelicans having a legit shot at getting them two.

Let me have this BI/Zion/Wemby dynasty please

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

The AD trade is also not why they're in the position they are today. The panic trade of their entire supporting cast and a 1st for Westbrook and letting Caruso walk are why they are so bad right now. They'd still be an easy playoff team if they had Kuzma, KCP, Caruso, and whoever they drafted at 21st overall (plenty of impact players went after that draft slot) last year.

Yep, the moves post-AD trade is why the Lakers are where they are. But AD also is no longer the same dominant force he was in 2020. He's very good but not a force and then playing in 2022 without any shooters is a VERY bold strategy lol.

16 minutes ago, Spartica4Real said:

Trade was a win-win. They got their title and the Pels are eating good from that trade, getting the best player in the trade going forward with BI and assets to last a while. What wasn't a win for the Lakers was everything they flubbed since losing to the Suns.

Agreed, the Pelicans are in a better spot than they were with AD. It is win-win, but no way did the Lakers lose the trade after winning a ring. 

Edited by J-ALL-DAY

4 minutes ago, Kingram said:

Bubble ring tbh. AD isn't a franchise cornerstone, it doesn't matter about the moves following. AD is not a dude you can build around and contend. He's always been a loser as a #1. He isn't even winning as a #2 and his shot has completely fallen off planet Earth. 

A ring is a ring, man. They got the banner and the trophy. No trade that ends with a ring is a failure.

You're right, he's not a franchise cornerstone anymore. But he wouldn't have to be if the team hadn't killed its depth afterwards. This is an easy playoff team with a championship to it's name if they don't panic and trade for Westbrook. How is that a failure? Again I ask, if New Orleans had traded everything for Durant this summer and won the championship this season, but then Zion kept getting injured the next couple years. Would you consider that a failed trade?

As others have said, both franchises won that trade. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, seminoles1 said:

A ring is a ring, man. They got the banner and the trophy. No trade that ends with a ring is a failure.

You're right, he's not a franchise cornerstone anymore. But he wouldn't have to be if the team hadn't killed its depth afterwards. This is an easy playoff team with a championship to it's name if they don't panic and trade for Westbrook. How is that a failure? Again I ask, if New Orleans had traded everything for Durant this summer and won the championship this season, but then Zion kept getting injured the next couple years. Would you consider that a failed trade?

As others have said, both franchises won that trade. 

Yeah, you aren't wrong. I just don't think the Lakers should consider this trade a win. They might not compete again for another 5-10 years. Lebron on his last legs, AD isn't going to be a #1 and they have 0 young talent. Going to be dark days ahead.

2 minutes ago, Kingram said:

Yeah, you aren't wrong. I just don't think the Lakers should consider this trade a win. They might not compete again for another 5-10 years. Lebron on his last legs, AD isn't going to be a #1 and they have 0 young talent. Going to be dark days ahead.

You cannot lose a trade if it wins you a title. Like, that makes absolutely no sense to me to consider a title a losing trade.

I agree they aren't setup for long-term success, but that's because of a combo of moves and not just the AD trade. That's the deal with teams who sign LeBron. You compete now. But...the Lakers seem to think it's 1980 and don't need shooting or depth. That's not because of the AD trade; that's because of Rob Pelinka and the Westbrook trade.

Just now, seminoles1 said:

You cannot lose a trade if it wins you a title. Like, that makes absolutely no sense to me to consider a title a losing trade.

I agree they aren't setup for long-term success, but that's because of a combo of moves and not just the AD trade. That's the deal with teams who sign LeBron. You compete now. But...the Lakers seem to think it's 1980 and don't need shooting or depth. That's not because of the AD trade; that's because of Rob Pelinka and the Westbrook trade.

Yeah, I just enjoy watching this blow up in the Lakers faces if we're being honest.

Just now, Kingram said:

Yeah, I just enjoy watching this blow up in the Lakers faces if we're being honest.

Oh, so do I. I don't like that I'm defending them right now. I do like LeBron, but love watching the Lakers implode.

As a Memphis fan, I don't really care if we missed the playoffs for 5 straight years if directly preceding that we won a title.