GDT Week 7 - 10/23/22 - Cleveland Browns (2-4) vs Baltimore Ravens (3-3) - 1pm EST

drd23

1 minute ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Quick reactions:

Positives:

• Gus Edwards coming back and looking really good
  • Defense closing out a game
  • Devin Duvernay again looked really good when targeted
  • Justin Houston had a nice day, nice to see him back
  • Patrick Queen looked great playing the run

Negatives:

• Lamar as a passer looks completely broken
  • Defense still looks awful most of the time
  • Situational play-calling and personnel usage was pretty damn suspect late in the game

Our defense is the only reason we haven’t lost 4 straight. 

Just now, diamondbull424 said:

The real question is why he wasn’t in on the previous possession over Justice Hill.

You’ve got a guy who has been moving the pile and you go with the quick lightning guy vs the brute who’s a walking 5 yards when you know the defense will be going for the strip?

Almost lost the game because of Roman overthinking the personnel there. Let Gus drive the bus home.

I agree about 95%

Gus hasn't played in a long time and maybe there's some pitch count to it. He didn't looked to be getting ramped up at all. Just throw him in there, ya know. 

1 minute ago, diamondbull424 said:

The real question is why he wasn’t in on the previous possession over Justice Hill.

You’ve got a guy who has been moving the pile and you go with the quick lightning guy vs the brute who’s a walking 5 yards when you know the defense will be going for the strip?

Almost lost the game because of Roman overthinking the personnel there. Let Gus drive the bus home.

This might sound dumb, but is Roman in charge of that or is that the RB's coach?

Just now, M.10.E said:

Our defense is the only reason we haven’t lost 4 straight. 

I don't necessarily agree with this at all.

Just now, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

This might sound dumb, but is Roman in charge of that or is that the RB's coach?

I don't necessarily agree with this at all.

Our offense has put up 20, 19, 20, 24 points the last four weeks with at least two touchdowns coming on extremely short fields because of the defense. 

Look at how the coaching staff handled the return of Ronnie Stanley, having him rotate with Mekari despite playing far better. Of course they’re not going to use Gus Edwards as much as he’s capable of. And we all know he was the most effective runner today. 

1 minute ago, Integrity said:

Look at how the coaching staff handled the return of Ronnie Stanley, having him rotate with Mekari despite playing far better. Of course they’re not going to use Gus Edwards as much as he’s capable of. And we all know he was the most effective runner today. 

thing is, he didn't appear to be on a pitch count at all until it was late in the game when he's usually featured. So either they did his pitch count backwards or just chose to go with Hill over him.

2 minutes ago, M.10.E said:

Our offense has put up 20, 19, 20, 24 points the last four weeks with at least two touchdowns coming on extremely short fields because of the defense. 

and our defense giving up a lot of points in those games (especially late in games) is also a factor in why we're losing.

Edited by AFlaccoSeagulls

Just now, baltimoreRebel said:

I agree about 95%

Gus hasn't played in a long time and maybe there's some pitch count to it. He didn't looked to be getting ramped up at all. Just throw him in there, ya know. 

I understand what you’re saying there. Solid point, however if he’s on a pitch count, we have to keep some carries in reserve for him.

Hill hasn’t been running bad, but he’s never been the strongest carry guy, so that’s just putting guys in a position where it’s not playing to their strengths.

• Like 2

Just now, diamondbull424 said:

I understand what you’re saying there. Solid point, however if he’s on a pitch count, we have to keep some carries in reserve for him.

Hill hasn’t been running bad, but he’s never been the strongest carry guy, so that’s just putting guys in a position where it’s not playing to their strengths.

Yeah, I hear ya. I agree. 

I'm pleased that we looked like a functional running team this week. This team still has a lot of settling in to do. 

• Like 2

A couple things I noticed:

- Jordan Stout with an extra point save. I’m not sure if I saw anytime mentioned the ball being ill-snapped and he was able to gather it and get the laces spent. He also boomed that one ball. He’s been one of my biggest disappointments this season. I expected the first punter off the board to be a young Sam Koch, effortlessly trapping teams within the 10 left and right and he’s just not that level of guy to this point. So this game was a step in the right direction at least.

- Our WR play wasn’t particularly impressive. #10 being lined up out of place nearly causing a penalty before Lamar and Ricard got him set up appropriately. Proche being useless and then collecting boneheaded penalties. Bateman looked solid and Duvernay looked. DeSean Jackson should be coming at the right time. Open up some space underneath for other guys to operate.

- Lamar Jackson I didn’t feel had as bad a game as most feel. I thought he did a good job reverting back to game manager this game and just taking what the defense gave without forcing things. He does need to improve on checking the ball down. It wasn’t a good game at all, but it’s a step in the right direction IMO. We don’t need him being the hero all the time.

- Harbaugh had the appropriate mixture between aggressive and passive in order to win the game.

- WTF is with Kyle Hamilton? He didn’t play poorly, but dude was a force at Norte Dame and we draft him and he’s not been playing to the level that I hope he would.

Edited by diamondbull424

A couple things I noticed:

- Jordan Stout with an extra point save. I’m not sure if I saw anytime mentioned the ball being ill-snapped and he was able to gather it and get the laces spent. He also boomed that one ball. He’s been one of my biggest disappointments this season. I expected the first punter off the board to be a young Sam Koch, effortlessly trapping teams within the 10 left and right and he’s just not that level of guy to this point. So this game was a step in the right direction at least.

couldn't agree more.

- Our WR play wasn’t particularly impressive. #10 being lined up out of place nearly causing a penalty before Lamar and Ricard got him set up appropriately. Proche being useless and then collecting boneheaded penalties. Bateman looked solid and Duvernay looked. DeSean Jackson should be coming at the right time. Open up some space underneath for other guys to operate.

couldn't agree more.

- Lamar Jackson I didn’t feel had as bad a game as most feel. I thought he did a good job reverting back to game manager this game and just taking what the defense gave without forcing things. He does need to improve on checking the ball down. It wasn’t a good game at all, but it’s a step in the right direction IMO.

Couldn't DISAGREE more. Lamar did nothing but take sacks until Roman started calling nothing but screens or run plays. They forced Lamar to not throw because he was just doing boneheaded stuff back there. No way I could call this a step in the right direction.

-- WTF is with Kyle Hamilton? He didn’t play poorly, but dude was a force at Norte Dame and we draft him and he’s not been playing to the level that I hope he would.

It seems like what other people noticed were flaws in his game (noticeably how stiff his hips are) is making it really tough to play in the NFL despite his size/speed combo. It also seems like he can't play in coverage right now because he doesn't know his assignments most of the time

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

It seems like what other people noticed were flaws in his game (noticeably how stiff his hips are) is making it really tough to play in the NFL despite his size/speed combo. It also seems like he can't play in coverage right now because he doesn't know his assignments most of the time

Yeah I pointed out in January my two biggest issues with his game was 1) his suddenness as well as 2) his poor angles that he would take.

Yet he was still a playmaker, it’s interesting that he’s just as fast as some of our other safeties, but bigger, feels like he should be making at least somewhat more of an impact in coverage.