GDT Week 7 - 10/23/22 - Cleveland Browns (2-4) vs Baltimore Ravens (3-3) - 1pm EST

drd23

46 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

And a lot of us in here were up in arms about that Andrews OPI call, as we should have been. I’ve seen the Cooper OPI called on our receivers every now and then and it’s infuriating as a fan. I’m not going to complain because of how many times we’ve gotten gyped by the refs but the point remains - if a 50/50 call that most fans don’t agree with (when against their team) isn’t called in the last moments of the game, the defense gave up yet another late game TD to lose. 

If we’re going to blame the refs when they make soft calls that contribute to our losses i’m not going to pretend they didn’t have a hand in “turning around” our pattern of failing to close out games on defense this past game

Sounds like you've embraced the Cuck Smith energy in your avatar too much. 

I'm opening mocking the concept of "clutch", if it's not obvious. Close games come down to luck, random bounces and calls, more so than any "clutch" trait a team has. You're not at any state of enlightenment if you are equally salty when the "clutch" goes for us or against us. 

1 hour ago, wackywabbit said:

Sounds like you've embraced the Cuck Smith energy in your avatar too much. 

I'm opening mocking the concept of "clutch", if it's not obvious. Close games come down to luck, random bounces and calls, more so than any "clutch" trait a team has. You're not at any state of enlightenment if you are equally salty when the "clutch" goes for us or against us. 

And you’re not any more enlightened in continuing to mock the idea that the 2022 Ravens have a serious issue with closing out games on offense and defense. 

You watched a team first hand in 2019 who was able to salt away leads on offense and step on teams’ throats on defense. I refuse to believe you’re this unintentionally dense about this team’s struggles in end of the game, situational football. You either have a blissfully moronic football intelligence (which i don’t believe) or you feel like you have to dig in on this particular issue for some reason. Don’t really care which it is, because it doesn’t change the fact that this team does in reality have serious issues late in games closing things out

Constantly spewing these pseudo-analytic “it’s all luck bras, there’s no such thing as teams that are more prepared and execute better in crunch time” takes doesn’t make you edgy or cool. Just makes it very apparent you’ve never played a snap of football in your life and haven’t felt the pressure of a close game and how that impacts the individual and team at large.

Edited by Ray Reed

3 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Agreed. I hate people calling that OPI 'soft' or 'ticky-tack'. It was a clear full-arm extension and that is called almost every time.

Yeah that was about as clear as day. And it wasn’t even needed in all likelihood. But the same could be said for Andrews in whatever game that was.

I don't think this is fair, because a possession with like 7 seconds left in the game isn't really a possession. The last actual drive they faced was the missed FG, which really was just Cleveland shooting themselves in the foot because they were marching right down the field into FG range before 2 back-breaking penalties forced them into the 55+ yard FG range.

True, they were moving the ball but the point is the defense found a way to get it done. Our offense was moving the ball against other teams and suffered back breaking penalties in other games, the opposition was credited with “stopping us” so it’s only right that our defense deserves to gain similar credit.

It wasn’t dominant by any means, but they did literally just enough. Which is an improvement over past games where they fell short.

Also I see how the 24 second possession might seem like it’s cherry picking. But that’s about as much time as Mahomes used to beat the Bills in the postseason. Now obviously the Browns don’t have Mahomes or anything close to it (yet), but we’ve seen plenty of games where 24 seconds was all that was needed for a FG and not only did that not happen, the defense did force a turnover to completely remove that possibility from the equation. Earlier in the season I’m not sure they could’ve done even that. So I think it’s worth noting the improvements.

It’s also worth noting that they gave up like 2-3 straight scores to start the game, but then stifled the Browns for most of the 2nd and 3rd which showed they could step up when needed.

Chubb then later went off and single handedly almost got the Browns the W, but the defense bent but didn’t fully break, so that’s a step in the right direction.

Also semantics, but the defense didn't block the FG, ST's did ;)

I don't think this game was an improvement in our defense, really. 2nd half possessions:

• Fumble
  • FG
  • Touchdown
  • Missed FG
  • Fumble (I don't really count this drive cuz it was basically a 15 second drive)

That's 2/2 and like I explained above, the missed FG was just Cleveland self-destructing after easily driving into FG range. And keep in mind this was against a pretty pitiful offense with an awful QB.

I mean, we can’t just take away results though. The defense caused the fumble and they stopped the Browns that led to the blocked kick, and then they ensured that they couldn’t be beaten by a hailmary by forcing a final fumble to close out the game.

Beyond that they gave up 10 points in the second half. That’s a good half in terms of points allowed IMO.

2 hours ago, Ray Reed said:

And a lot of us in here were up in arms about that Andrews OPI call, as we should have been. I’ve seen the Cooper OPI called on our receivers every now and then and it’s infuriating as a fan. I’m not going to complain because of how many times we’ve gotten gyped by the refs but the point remains - if a 50/50 call that most fans don’t agree with (when against their team) isn’t called in the last moments of the game, the defense gave up yet another late game TD to lose. 

If we’re going to blame the refs when they make soft calls that contribute to our losses i’m not going to pretend they didn’t have a hand in “turning around” our pattern of failing to close out games on defense this past game

So then are you simultaneously crediting the clutchness of our offense in those other games because they were only stopped by questionable calls?

You can’t have it both ways. Either we accept the results as they are or we create a separate scoreboard for shoulda, coulda, woulda’s.

If this team somehow wins a Super Bowl this season and yet only made the playoffs by one game over another divisional opponent, we won’t look back and say, “well we don’t deserve this ring because we benefited from a 50/50 call back in week 7.” (At least not any sane fan would anyway.)

47 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

So then are you simultaneously crediting the clutchness of our offense in those other games because they were only stopped by questionable calls?

You can’t have it both ways. Either we accept the results as they are or we create a separate scoreboard for shoulda, coulda, woulda’s.

If this team somehow wins a Super Bowl this season and yet only made the playoffs by one game over another divisional opponent, we won’t look back and say, “well we don’t deserve this ring because we benefited from a 50/50 call back in week 7.” (At least not any sane fan would anyway.)

Um, what? This is a ridiculous straw man.

My point is and has always been that the 2022 Ravens are executing at a very poor level in the 4th quarter of games this season on both offense and defense. Chalking up the outcome of games that are both won and lost on questionable calls either way shows a lack of executing and being able to ice games when you’re up double digits in the 4th quarter in every game. That is the point, dude. The Ravens aren’t executing at a high enough level to where those calls don’t have an impact on the game. No one is talking about the significance of the Andrews OPI if Lamar doesn’t fail to execute and throws a puck in the end zone in the 4th quarter against Buffalo. No one is talking about the significance of the Cooper OPI if Justice Hill executes and holds on to the ball to milk the game against Cleveland. 

I never even introduced the word clutch into this conversation. That was just brought up and used as a dumb deflective talking point by wacky wabit so that he could put all of his energy into this weird crusade trying to rant against the existence of luck or some dumb ish instead of actually having to discuss the actual play of the players on this team in the 2nd half of games.

Do you think the Ravens have had serious problems executing in the 4th quarter this year? Yes or no. It’s a simple question. If yes, we agree and i don’t need to read your semantic tangents anymore. If no, we disagree and i don’t need to read your semantic tangents anymore. It’s that simple. 

18 hours ago, Ray Reed said:

Um, what? This is a ridiculous straw man.

My point is and has always been that the 2022 Ravens are executing at a very poor level in the 4th quarter of games this season on both offense and defense. Chalking up the outcome of games that are both won and lost on questionable calls either way shows a lack of executing and being able to ice games when you’re up double digits in the 4th quarter in every game. That is the point, dude. The Ravens aren’t executing at a high enough level to where those calls don’t have an impact on the game. No one is talking about the significance of the Andrews OPI if Lamar doesn’t fail to execute and throws a puck in the end zone in the 4th quarter against Buffalo. No one is talking about the significance of the Cooper OPI if Justice Hill executes and holds on to the ball to milk the game against Cleveland. 

I never even introduced the word clutch into this conversation. That was just brought up and used as a dumb deflective talking point by wacky wabit so that he could put all of his energy into this weird crusade trying to rant against the existence of luck or some dumb ish instead of actually having to discuss the actual play of the players on this team in the 2nd half of games.

It’s not semantics. And there’s no strawman. I have not claimed something you have not literally stated. This is the reasoning you outlined:

You’re removing from the defense their execution in this game by claiming it was refs. The defense forced a 4th and 6 just outside the Browns kicker range. Which then was blocked by our special teams. They then forced a last minute turnover to prevent tomfoolery from losing us the game. That’s executing in the 4th quarter. Yet you just said above that you’re refusing to credit it because of the refs influence in the result.

Yet in other games our offense had been executing down the stretch moving the ball and had those drives influenced by ref involvement that in all likelihood influenced points that influence game results. So if we’re removing “execution/clutch” points from the defense, then are we not adding “execution/clutch” points to our offense to previous games?

Where do we draw the line with this reasoning?

18 hours ago, Ray Reed said:

Do you think the Ravens have had serious problems executing in the 4th quarter this year? Yes or no. It’s a simple question. If yes, we agree and i don’t need to read your semantic tangents anymore. If no, we disagree and i don’t need to read your semantic tangents anymore. It’s that simple. 

I think the defense has indeed shown issues with executing down the stretch in previous games, but like I said, they did just enough this game, which is an obvious improvement worth celebrating IMO.

The offense has had issues with executing for sure. They’ve hindered themselves in a multitude of ways, but like I said, I don’t have anything against coming for that unit. Lamar hasn’t played his best, Roman’s play calling in the 4th has IMO been questionable, and whoever handles the personnel choices in the 4th also have a hand. That and not having a power back most of this season to salt the game away. (Though we had him last game and used Justice Hill for some reason).

Edited by diamondbull424

14 hours ago, DreamKid said:

Oweh(10) and Houston(4) were active yesterday. Love to see it. Bowser and Ojabo coming soon.

Good to see Ebiketie killing it. He was one of my favorite pass rushing threats in the 2022 class.

Still have no idea how Ojabo is coming back so soon. Did he fly over to Europe or something. Makes little sense to me. Hopefully he’s not just trying to rush back and pull a Kevin Durant.