Week 7 GDT: Raiders vs Saints

NickButera

13 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

This is why I cannot accept the "we lack talent" argument. 

We have some proven talent that is so clearly being misused that it simply cannot be a lack of talent holding us back. 

For Adams to be this impactless, he has to suck or Carr has to be an actual bottom tier QB- both of which are demonstrably not the case. 

Ergo, it's on McDaniels and his ideas. 

For me it's simpler than that Renfro has been a problem for defenses since he has been in the NFL. McDaniels comes and all of a sudden he's a one catch a game receiver. Remember this is a guy last year that had 100 catches 1000 yards and nine touchdowns with Greg Olsen being his offensive coordinator for most of the year(So you know he wasn't just some product of the system)

Edited by Jeremy408
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

This is why I cannot accept the "we lack talent" argument. 

We have some proven talent that is so clearly being misused that it simply cannot be a lack of talent holding us back. 

For Adams to be this impactless, he has to suck or Carr has to be an actual bottom tier QB- both of which are demonstrably not the case. 

Ergo, it's on McDaniels and his ideas. 

So far it has been on JM and PG and their schemes, there is no other reason as to why we have played so poorly.  

Do we have sprinkles on talent, yes we do but the talent we do have is being miscast and not utilized properly.  Adams is still a top 3 WR in the NFL Jacobs has been running like a top 10 back, Carr is a top 15 QB, Miller has shown over the years to be an above average LT.  Waller has talent but hasn't been on the field in weeks, Renfrow has underperformed and has proven to be one of the better slot receivers in the NFL.   We still have terrible depth on both sides of the ball and not many people realize how important depth is.

Our Oline and interior Dline are disasters, our LB's suck and our secondary is trash.  It is very hard to win games with holes like this on both sides of the ball then combine that with terrible depth and this is what you get!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Dessie said:

Says it all really. 

Doesn't account for the times he threw the ball quickly as well, where he would've got hit had he held the ball longer. People complained about him getting scared in the pocket and I'm sure they would be as well. Line was easily the worst part of the abysmal offense today

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Doesn't account for the times he threw the ball quickly as well, where he would've got hit had he held the ball longer. People complained about him getting scared in the pocket and I'm sure they would be as well. Line was easily the worst part of the abysmal offense today

Wasn’t part of the problem our high priced oline that kept the team from spending on defense. Does Carr need a Reggie oline ? 

10 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

So far it has been on JM and PG and their schemes, there is no other reason as to why we have played so poorly.  

Do we have sprinkles on talent, yes we do but the talent we do have is being miscast and not utilized properly.  Adams is still a top 3 WR in the NFL Jacobs has been running like a top 10 back, Carr is a top 15 QB, Miller has shown over the years to be an above average LT.  Waller has talent but hasn't been on the field in weeks, Renfrow has underperformed and has proven to be one of the better slot receivers in the NFL.   We still have terrible depth on both sides of the ball and not many people realize how important depth is.

Our Oline and interior Dline are disasters, our LB's suck and our secondary is trash.  It is very hard to win games with holes like this on both sides of the ball then combine that with terrible depth and this is what you get!

This is all I've been saying

3 minutes ago, SimonGruber said:

Wasn’t part of the problem our high priced oline that kept the team from spending on defense. Does Carr need a Reggie oline ? 

I don't think he needs a Reggie O-line. 

I think he needs a functional O-line, which we have not had this year outside of a few spots against bad teams.

If we'd addressed it at all instead of plugging proven bad or no-name players, I'd be more concerned. But the line iis almost entirely made up of scrubs and people have been saying that all season long. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

For me it's simpler than that Renfro has been a problem for defenses since he has been in the NFL. McDaniels comes and all of a sudden he's a one catch a game receiver. Remember this is a guy last year that had 100 catches 1000 yards and nine touchdowns with Greg Olsen being his offensive coordinator for most of the year(So you know he wasn't just some product of the system)

This I don't understand and it falls on JM.  Renfrow has been a nightmare for slot Cb's and we barely use him.  Renfrow should be an extension of the run game, a chain mover like he was last year and he is barley targeted.  I feel like JM's game plan revolves around Adams in the passing game and hen he's not getting separation everything falls apart.  JM's inability to game play in accordance to opposing teams weakness is alarming. 

• Like 3

Just now, Frankie2Gunz said:

This I don't understand and it falls on JM.  Renfrow has been a nightmare for slot Cb's and we barely use him.  Renfrow should be an extension of the run game, a chain mover like he was last year and he is barley targeted.  I feel like JM's game plan revolves around Adams in the passing game and hen he's not getting separation everything falls apart.  JM's inability to game play in accordance to opposing teams weakness is alarming. 

Appears to be trying to use Davante Adams like he's Julian Edelman which doesnt make sense

• Like 2

Why some of you think so black and white is beyond me. 

You get a job as a GM/HC, you do what you can do to improve the team and say all the right things. Some moves work well, some don't. Of course they made moves thinking they could make a playoff run. But until they hand them on the field, they didn't know how it would unfold. The deficiency have become abundantly clear. 

The invested heavy in helping Carr with Adams. However, they failed to address a pathetically weak Oline. And until they got their hands on him, probably didn't understand the degree to which Carr can fold when pressured. 

Carr is what he is. A mid tier QB who will vary week to week. He can look like a pro-bowler when things are going well and look like a bum when they are not. When he's hit often, he folds. We saw that today. 

They need to make a decision on him. Either get him an Oline or get a QB who can play behind what they have. 

The defense has been a talentless bunch of awful for 20 years. Nothing new. The LBs are terrible, the secondary is soft and the Dline cannot get pressure. Until they improve the starting talent on that side of the ball, they will always be a problem. 

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Up into the 4th Q, Jacobs was averaging like 2.9 ypc. 

Carr was hit 9 times, and avoided a few more (easily 12-13 total, if not more). 

Yeah, the OL was next level trash today. It was absolutely the type of OL performance that NO QB or RB could've had success behind. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

You get a job as a GM/HC, you do what you can do to improve the team and say all the right things. Some moves work well, some don't. Of course they made moves thinking they could make a playoff run. But until they hand them on the field, they didn't know how it would unfold. The deficiency have become abundantly clear. 

The invested heavy in helping Carr with Adams. However, they failed to address a pathetically weak Oline. And until they got their hands on him, probably didn't understand the degree to which Carr can fold when pressured. 

Carr is what he is. A mid tier QB who will vary week to week. He can look like a pro-bowler when things are going well and look like a bum when they are not. When he's hit often, he folds. We saw that today. 

They need to make a decision on him. Either get him an Oline or get a QB who can play behind what they have

The defense has been a talentless bunch of awful for 20 years. Nothing new. The LBs are terrible, the secondary is soft and the Dline cannot get pressure. Until they improve the starting talent on that side of the ball, they will always be a problem. 

With how they played today, that is a unicorn. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

They need to make a decision on him. Either get him an Oline or get a QB who can play behind what they have. 

Yeah but then that's where roster evaluation comes from. When you're the head guy in the front office your job is to evaluate the roster and make moves accordingly. I don't like the idea that we knew more than him that the office of line wasn't good and needed help when it's not our job to assess the weaknesses and fix them accordingly. Instead we trade a pass rusher that was already under contract for a reasonable deal and sign his older replacement to a $17 million deal making something worse that wasn't a problem last year(edge rush is what I'm referring to). We neglected our biggest needs in doing. 

It's also not as simple as saying our defense sucks. Our defense has regressed from last year. Which means that we're not doing a good job with the roster we already had. That's a coaching problem. The players that were already good on offenses are no longer producing outside of the running back that's a coaching problem. We also can't make the excuse that it's on them because we paid them which means that if there's something wrong with them(which I don't think there is of course) then it falls upon the front office to have let them walk or not pay them. 

So it goes back to the same premise of it's either a roster evaluation issue or a coaching issue(on both sides of the ball)

• Like 1