NCAA Basketball Thread (2023-24)

beekay414

1 hour ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I was going to say he reminded me of Gordon Hayward with his style but he is also like 4 inches taller than him, which means he actually plays similar to high school Chet offensively.  Defensively he is more mobile/agile than Chet so I can see the Kirilinko comp.  He is definitely a guy who can guard athletic and shifty 4s and probably most 3s on the wing. 

Will be interesting to see how he does reclassifying.  That doesn't tend to work out great for kids at the top of classes.  Even the ones who still get drafted end up going lower than they would if they stayed in their class and developed.  Guys like GG Jackson, Enoch Boakye, Khristian Lander etc would have been better off staying in their classes.  Even Emoni Bates would have likely benefited from it.  Jalen Duren would have likely gone in the top 4 this year if he played last year at Memphis same with Shaedon Sharpe. So many guys who reclassify struggle early, lose confidence and then bounce around to other schools because they dont take school seriously thinking they will be one and done.  I am guessing Flagg will be closer to the Duren category than the Bates, but still will be interesting to see how he fares switching classes. 

None of those dudes are on Cooper Flagg’s level

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

None of those dudes are on Cooper Flagg’s level

Sharpe, Duren, Bates and GG Jackson were all considered top 2 players in their class when they reclassified.  Boyake was top 10.  They were great players but did not turn into the top pick or even a top 10 pick.  Its tough playing up a year.  I know he turns draftable before the deadline but that still makes you one of the youngest players in the class and playing college ball at 17/18 is different than 18/19.  Your body develops and the skills develop a lot in a year at that age.  I expect Flagg to still be great but there is zero history of top prospects being dominant when they reclassify a year even if still rated that high.    

9 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Sharpe, Duren, Bates and GG Jackson were all considered top 2 players in their class when they reclassified.  Boyake was top 10.  They were great players but did not turn into the top pick or even a top 10 pick.  Its tough playing up a year.  I know he turns draftable before the deadline but that still makes you one of the youngest players in the class and playing college ball at 17/18 is different than 18/19.  Your body develops and the skills develop a lot in a year at that age.  I expect Flagg to still be great but there is zero history of top prospects being dominant when they reclassify a year even if still rated that high.    

I feel there’s a difference between guys who reclass and skip their senior year of high school and jump straight to college vs guys who reclass but still finish up their high school career. KAT and Jamal Murray just to name a couple of guys who did the latter.

On 8/18/2023 at 12:07 PM, Sllim Pickens said:

That's all fine and dandy but Cooper Flagg is a generational level talent. He's better than all of those guys. Plus Sharpe didn't even play in college, Duren/Bates went to a dumpster fire program/situation, and GG Jackson also went to a dumpster fire situation. Flagg will be at Duke, the best program in the country.

We do have a history of top players dominating when they reclassified though: KAT, Jamal Murray, Andrew Wiggins, RJ Barrett, Nerlens Noel, Andre Drummond, and Marvin Bagley Jr all did it.

Edited by NYRaider

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 10/14/2023 at 12:34 AM, 11sanchez11 said:

He makes that look so effortless.  I called it earlier in either the draft thread or this thread that he is one who I think could rise up draft boards once people see his athleticism and if he shows any real skill.

His other two dunks in the dunk contest were insane too.  

https://x.com/daltonshetler/status/1713186424353153094?s=46&t=YFcrBbfq0gXiQosPQDK1xg