NCAA Basketball Thread (2023-24)

beekay414

42 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

The first time I saw Flagg play I said he looks like a kid that Duke would recruit, so this makes sense.  

Outside of Zion, I don’t think there’s a recruit I wanted more than I want Flagg. The 90s we had Laettner, 00s was Redick, 2010s Grayson Allen and the 2020s Flagg has to take that mantle. 

Plus he’s an unbelievable player. 

2 hours ago, TitanSlim said:

Outside of Zion, I don’t think there’s a recruit I wanted more than I want Flagg. The 90s we had Laettner, 00s was Redick, 2010s Grayson Allen and the 2020s Flagg has to take that mantle. 

Plus he’s an unbelievable player. 

Yeah, that second part sort of sums it up.  Throw in Singler, Dunleavy, Hurley, Filipowski, Kennard, the Plumlee's, Parks etc, you know, guys with a similar play style.  I think the only recruit they ever really missed out on was Tyler Hansbrough.  

But yes, he is an amazing talent and will be fun to see him a year early.  Hopefully he can hang since most of the guys who reclassify struggle in college but still get drafted based on potential. 

On 8/7/2023 at 8:34 PM, TitanSlim said:

On the flip side, Duke looks like they’ll miss on Harper but it sounds like they’re in good position with #4 recruit Flory Bidunga and the big fish Cooper Flagg reclassing to the 2024 class. 

So Flagg has officially reclassified to the 2024 class and it looks like Auburn will be the one’s picking up Bidunga. The wild world of college basketball.

8 hours ago, 11sanchez11 said:

really? dude is like the next big thing. he kinda reminds me of JJJ but with more guards skills

Deadass

First time I heard his name was in this thread. I haven't gone into 2024 let alone 2025 yet. Basketball has been dragging far behind on my sports priority list these days. 

On 8/12/2023 at 10:58 AM, beekay414 said:

Deadass

First time I heard his name was in this thread. I haven't gone into 2024 let alone 2025 yet. Basketball has been dragging far behind on my sports priority list these days. 

I saw the highlights of a tournament where he outclassed the Boozer brothers.  That was the first I had heard of him.  He reminds of Chet Holmgren in high school but not as tall or skinny.  But the way Chet handled the rock, could shoot and pass at his size and defend all around.  I don’t want to compare him to KD for expectation reasons but it’s a similar style and skill set on offense. He plays like a SF on both ends and can guard the perimeter but also blocks shots.  He does have the JJJ mentality on D but don’t think he is a true post defender as much as a wing defender and weak side shot blocker.  

• Like 1

On 8/11/2023 at 8:22 PM, beekay414 said:

I've never heard of this Flagg kid. Gimme a rundown. 

So, the comparison many have/had for him especially early on was Andrei Kirilenko. He’s looks like a special defensive prospect, especially when it comes to his help side defense. In the past year or so, his offense is starting to catch up with his defense(not that his offense was bad in the first place) which really has people excited. 

At this year’s Peach Jam, he flirted with a quadruple double multiple times and outplayed the other top guy in his class Cameron Boozer (son of Carlos Boozer), who looks like a special prospect in his own right. That’s what really accelerated the hype around him.

Just know there appears to be three really special prospects coming up that already has the draft guys buzzing. Flagg, Cameron Boozer and a kid name AJ Dybantsa.

On 8/7/2023 at 7:34 PM, TitanSlim said:

Wild times indeed, but good for college basketball imo. 

On the flip side, Duke looks like they’ll miss on Harper but it sounds like they’re in good position with #4 recruit Flory Bidunga and the big fish Cooper Flagg reclassing to the 2024 class. 

Cooper Flagg will be a Blue Devil, I was hoping we'd have him and Cam Boozer coming in together.

On 8/12/2023 at 9:58 AM, beekay414 said:

Deadass

The best white recruit in decades, lol. I'd say he's like Gordon Hayward+ offensively and AK47 defensively. 

19 hours ago, NYRaider said:

The best white recruit in decades, lol. I'd say he's like Gordon Hayward+ offensively and AK47 defensively. 

I was going to say he reminded me of Gordon Hayward with his style but he is also like 4 inches taller than him, which means he actually plays similar to high school Chet offensively.  Defensively he is more mobile/agile than Chet so I can see the Kirilinko comp.  He is definitely a guy who can guard athletic and shifty 4s and probably most 3s on the wing. 

Will be interesting to see how he does reclassifying.  That doesn't tend to work out great for kids at the top of classes.  Even the ones who still get drafted end up going lower than they would if they stayed in their class and developed.  Guys like GG Jackson, Enoch Boakye, Khristian Lander etc would have been better off staying in their classes.  Even Emoni Bates would have likely benefited from it.  Jalen Duren would have likely gone in the top 4 this year if he played last year at Memphis same with Shaedon Sharpe. So many guys who reclassify struggle early, lose confidence and then bounce around to other schools because they dont take school seriously thinking they will be one and done.  I am guessing Flagg will be closer to the Duren category than the Bates, but still will be interesting to see how he fares switching classes.