Projecting Jakobi Meyers Contract

Crimmage

I think this is a major question that's going to come up over the next 6 months .. Meyers has gotten better every year and some people now consider him to be a legit #1 in the league. I'm not at that level with him, especially considering he has basically been the only reliable guy on the team for multiple years.. but am curious as to everyone else's thoughts. 

Would you extend him? If so, for how much? 

A major roadblock is going to be the fact that this FA class is bad for WR's .. so he's going to be the #1 guy.. anyone who needs a WR is going to overpay for Meyers. Are you willing to give him Christian Kirk money? 4 years 72 Million? When it's all said and done, even with a "hometown discount" I think he's going to want at least 15M a year. 

He has great hands and has been reliable, but I still can't help but feel he's a product of his environment. He has numbers because he's been force fed the ball for years as the only good option on the team. If they are going to spend 18-20M on a receiver.. I'd rather them trade for someone with higher potential tbo. 

Edited by Crimmage

I honestly don't understand why Meyers isn't well liked. Not sure what more he needs to prove. He's proven he can make tough catches. He's proven he can get open consistently. He's proven he can run a diverse route tree from multiple positions. He's proven he can get yards after the catch. He's been productive with ISH QB play for the most part. 

I also don't agree with the, oh well of course he's producing, everyone else sucks! That isn't a real argument, its a logical fallacy. 

Don't get me wrong, he isn't some all time great WR. I am not saying he is in the same field as Nuke, Lamb, Kupp, etc. However he is a very good WR and if you don't want him back at market value you are silly. 

As much as it may seem crazy, BB may agree that he isn't worth #1 WR money (20M+). If the team is looking to continue towards the Alabama offense, they may also just want a faster option in the slot to push the ball up the field more. Matt Groh has made an emphasis on speed and athletes, so I think he's hesitant to give Meyers 

• Wouldn't it make sense to resign him during training camp or this past offseason to make sure he doesn't get to free agency? Especially during a year where the WR class is pretty poor. 
  • How many players go into free agency, then decide to stick with their current team? I haven't done any research on this but i'm sure it's well under 50% 
  • Do you believe he is a #1 on a Championship level team? #2? #3? 

He's 100% worth resigning, he's a very good player.. I just don't consider him a top 20 or maybe even top 30 WR in the league. A good reference contract could be Hunter Renfrow, who many may say is a more explosive player .. at ~16M a season.  The better phrasing of my questions is likely what you would extend him for, I don't think anyone just wants him to leave the team because he's a bad player.

The benefit is that he is young and his skillset shouldn't diminish dramatically with age. So if the team want's to keep him around I believe the way to do so is with a long term contract that is backloaded. Keep the cap number low for 2 years then have it increase as the cap increases. 

My projected contract for him would be: 

4 years, 65 Million 

This would keep 

Renfrow and Thielen feel like very flattering comparison for Meyers - yes he's been consistent, but he's got to be considered a replacement level starter until he actually produces a 1000 yard season, or at least starts scoring more regularly. I wouldn't offer him more than 10-12mn per season - that puts him in Corey Davis/Michael Gallup territory, which feels right.

The problem will be that some cap-heavy, desperate team may well offer him an insanely over-priced deal - see Jaguars/Christian Kirk. Do we really want to use the tag on Meyers to stop that happening?

10 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

Breer thinks he will get Cedrick Wilson money

3 yr, 22 Million is an absolute steal for Meyers. That's WR 3 money .. if that was the case though, I'd imagine BB would have just resigned him to that this offseason? 

I think Meyers is banking on a weak free agent class hoping to get 10-15M a year. If teams still just remember him as an UDFA who isn't 4.3 fast.. maybe he slips through the cracks and comes back for 7-8M a season, but it seems unlikely. 

His situation reminds me a lot of Edelman, BB telling him to go out and see what he finds then come back and they will match. Edelman if I remember correctly barely got any interest on the open market, that's why they were able to bring him back at a bargain rate. 

22 hours ago, m haynes said:

Can almost guarantee he's going to be asking to be traded after this season too. 

He had over 600 yards for the Cowboys last year and was seen as a breakout guy... then goes to the Dolphins who only throw to Hill/Waddle and he's got like 50 yards on the season. Or he may even request to be released and be one of the better WR's on the market? 

If you can get him for the Corey Davis contract, I Think that is a great deal for Meyers. 

That said, I feel like you have to do that before he actually hits the market. The free agent receiver market is brutal...it's basically Meyers and Lazard. If he actually hits the market, the demand is really going to drive his market, I feel like 

On 11/11/2022 at 5:45 PM, Forge said:

If you can get him for the Corey Davis contract, I Think that is a great deal for Meyers. 

That said, I feel like you have to do that before he actually hits the market. The free agent receiver market is brutal...it's basically Meyers and Lazard. If he actually hits the market, the demand is really going to drive his market, I feel like 

I agree the price changes dramatically if he makes it to free agency. 

I feel like they have made a push this week to resign him.. during the bye week is a great time to try and get the deal done. If he doesn't resign during the season I feel dramatically less confident that he comes back.