Cwood is a nerd and so are all the Packer Favorite Prospects: 2023 Draft Discussion Thread

MacReady

11 hours ago, incognito_man said:

There's no way he isn't MLFs favorite offensive player in this draft. He's an LT. He's a WR. He's the next Gronk. Buttery smooth and violent. This staff is going to view him as ceiling of Gronk and being an incredible weapon for Love and his floor as an aging Big Dogs.

I wasnt gonna say it, but im not disagreeing either.

Darnell and his gigantic hands and freaky athletic moves at his size... I wont complain about seeing that in GB.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Let me give you a comparison. Garrett Wilson wasn't the top option at OSU, Olave was. Heck, JSN might have been option #2 that year.

The other kid at Georgia, Brock Bowers, is top 10 next year in the draft. 

We are talking TE's here....round one or two TE's.  Not WR's.  WR's impact the game more.  Unless the TE is truly special, like Kelce/Gronk....etc.

I'm simply not being talked into Washington being a good first round pick.  And I can be wrong, but I don't feel I am concerning him.

His lack of footspeed is going to hurt him in the NFL.  I don't even know if they are good enough, or quick enough, to down block and get in front of anyone.  He will push from the side, for sure, though.

That being said?  I can see how MLF is probably drooling over him.  He fits what MLF wants to do.  I totally get that.  I just don't feel that skillset is first round worthy.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

I wasnt gonna say it, but im not disagreeing either.

Darnell and his gigantic hands and freaky athletic moves at his size... I wont complain about seeing that in GB.

It feels like we're really confident about the TE situation, ignoring cheap vets this off-season. Makes me think we're really sure we're gonna get our guy in the draft. Washington has definitely been moving up draft boards lately. Can't shake the feeling we're targeting him, LVN or an OT there. 

Really think MLF is drooling over Washington though. He's custom made for this offense.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

His lack of footspeed is going to hurt him in the NFL.

Darnell Washington has the 5th best 20yd shuttle time for a TE in NFL combine history (4.08).

He also had an absolutely elite 10yd split (1.57).

Edited by incognito_man

1 hour ago, incognito_man said:

Darnell Washington has the 5th best 20yd shuttle time for a TE in NFL combine history (4.08).

He also had an absolutely elite 10yd split (1.57).

I don't care.  I watch feet move in short spaces.  His do not move quickly.

5 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Maybe your eyes are off. The arrow of time is undefeated.

No, they are not off.  I watched enough of his tape and highlights to see that the feet are slow.

He showed it on the sled, too.

Maybe he's a kid that trained a lot to nail a lot of the pre-draft drills.  But when I look at him try to move off of the line, it is painful.

He makes up for it with strength and hands.  

Maybe he will "box out" for catches.  Maybe he does have the long speed.

As far as the sled goes...coworker comes to me to show me his sled push video.  He looks at me and says, have you ever seen feet so slow on the sled?  Course, this coworker played ILB for a while in a Division III program.   Maybe he "gets it", or maybe he's had too many concussions.

5 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

No, they are not off.  I watched enough of his tape and highlights to see that the feet are slow.

He showed it on the sled, too.

Maybe he's a kid that trained a lot to nail a lot of the pre-draft drills.  But when I look at him try to move off of the line, it is painful.

He makes up for it with strength and hands.  

Maybe he will "box out" for catches.  Maybe he does have the long speed.

As far as the sled goes...coworker comes to me to show me his sled push video.  He looks at me and says, have you ever seen feet so slow on the sled?  Course, this coworker played ILB for a while in a Division III program.   Maybe he "gets it", or maybe he's had too many concussions.

They're definitely off. It's an optical illusion because he's over 6'6". The clock don't lie.

https://youtu.be/Sks7xuqZ584

3 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

They're definitely off. It's an optical illusion because he's over 6'6". The clock don't lie.

https://youtu.be/Sks7xuqZ584

Neither does tape.  Or his videos.  He's never separating from anyone in the NFL unless he learns to box out.

You like him.  Awesome.  Great for you.

I do not.  Not in the first round.  

6 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Neither does tape.  Or his videos.  He's never separating from anyone in the NFL unless he learns to box out.

You can certainly not like him, but he objectively has world-class agility and feet. So I'd find a different reason ;)

5 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

You can certainly not like him, but he objectively has world-class agility and feet. So I'd find a different reason ;)

I considered for a moment, the possibility that you are right.

So I just watched his entire 4 minute highlight video again.

Came away thinking this....meh.

His crosser was sooooooooooooooo slow.  Sure he broke a tackle of a little college LB, then left over an even smaller DB.  But slow is slow.

Then I saw some work in the middle of the field.  Took him a really long time to clear linebackers.

But...the hands really stood out.  Sticky.  Powerful.

There was one play, though, for a TD when he ran a post.  He had some speed there after 3 yards or so and looked really good.

But I came away with this.  You still are over reliant on a stopwatch than film when looking at him.

And he's still someone that our coaching staff is going to pound the table for.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I considered for a moment, the possibility that you are right.

So I just watched his entire 4 minute highlight video again.

Came away thinking this....meh.

His crosser was sooooooooooooooo slow.  Sure he broke a tackle of a little college LB, then left over an even smaller DB.  But slow is slow.

Then I saw some work in the middle of the field.  Took him a really long time to clear linebackers.

But...the hands really stood out.  Sticky.  Powerful.

There was one play, though, for a TD when he ran a post.  He had some speed there after 3 yards or so and looked really good.

But I came away with this.  You still are over reliant on a stopwatch than film when looking at him.

And he's still someone that our coaching staff is going to pound the table for.

I really and truly do think it's an optical illusion. He LOOKS ploddy and slow because he's so damn big. Yet he's as agile and explosive as CBs on the clock. He takes fewer steps, with less frequency, but covers more real estate with each of them.

He looks a little gangly and uncouth at times but always maintains his balance and positioning. 

It really is just a visual illusion. He's a very very effective mover at size regardless of how he looks.

3 hours ago, vegas492 said:

Doesn't have quick feet, period.

If Gronk didn't have the bad back, he's an early round one pick, easily.  I don't get the Gronk comparison. 

Washington wasn't even the lead tight end for his college team.

To me, he's an end of round two to top of round three TE.

I do see where his skillset is probably something we will covet, though.  

I would not be upset if we use a second round pick for him, and I'll be thrilled if we use a second and our third to move up to secure him.

Whatever gets us out of the third round I'll take

31 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Agree, he isnt running away from anyone in the NFL.  I dont think he's going to be a consistent receiving threat, he's going to be drafted primarily for his blocking.   If he drafted by Green Bay I believe it will be a MLF pick for his run oriented offense.  Somebody might take him in the first, but Id go with more of a receiving threat if I took a TE in the first round.    You do have a first year QB,  the TE needs to be a safety valve for him.  Not sure Washington is that.